A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

My most anticipated movie right now:

David Cronenberg Returns: Sci-Fi Movie ‘Crimes of the Future’ Sets 30-Day Shoot in Greece

I thought he had retired after making Maps to the Stars, so this is wonderful news.

The trick is not minding

David Cronenberg Returns: Sci-Fi Movie ‘Crimes of the Future’ Sets 30-Day Shoot in Greece

I thought he had retired after making Maps to the Stars, so this is wonderful news.
Thai is fantastic! I, too, had thought he had retired or something. Looking forward to this!
Unrelated note, but I was disappointed by his sons second film, Possessor.

I will die of the giggle fits if it’s just a straight up, shot for shot remake.

But yeah, I’m excited. Those two never let me down.

Thai is fantastic! I, too, had thought he had retired or something. Looking forward to this!
Unrelated note, but I was disappointed by his sons second film, Possessor.
I also like Thai!

I think the more I run across praise for The Final Girls in online lists of under-rated Horror movies and whatnot, the more I think it might actually be the most OVER-rated Horror movie of the last several years.
Change my mind.
Or don't.

I think the more I run across praise for The Final Girls in online lists of under-rated Horror movies and whatnot, the more I think it might actually be the most OVER-rated Horror movie of the last several years.
Change my mind.
Or don't.
It is very average. I guess I could see someone vibing with its meta take on 80s slashers, but I would in no way call it under-rated. I thought it was a pretty big let-down, honestly.

Change my mind.
Or don't.
I respect that they managed to trick producers into funding their slasher satire without ever having watched a single slasher.

And then seemingly did the exact same premise with romcoms a few years later.

It is very average. I guess I could see someone vibing with its meta take on 80s slashers, but I would in no way call it under-rated. I thought it was a pretty big let-down, honestly.
I agree and it's on a LOT of lists.

I agree and it's on a LOT of lists.
I think that it failed to really get traction with horror fans and never picked up a ton of momentum. It certainly is one of those films I don't even remember until someone brings it up.

I don't think that under-rated/under-seen and "mostly forgotten" are the same, but sometimes lists treat them like they are.

Maps to the Stars was directed by Cronenberg? I had no idea although that does sort of clear up a lot of the buh? moments I experienced while watching it.

I think that it failed to really get traction with horror fans and never picked up a ton of momentum. It certainly is one of those films I don't even remember until someone brings it up.

I don't think that under-rated/under-seen and "mostly forgotten" are the same, but sometimes lists treat them like they are.
I think it depends on where you’re looking. On Reddit, the film is a massive cult success brought up anytime slashers or modern horror is mentioned. I view it as being among their pet movies that are huge there but not much anywhere else.

In an attempt to clear out some of my Shudder watchlist, I inadvertently created a double feature that I will call

NIGHT OF THE LIVING GERUNDS*

The Banishing (2020)
Lingering (2020)

Both of these are mostly run-of-the-mill spooky-house stories. Lots of people cautiously roaming corridors and saying "hello?" a lot. You know the kind. The Banishing was directed by Christopher Smith of Severance and Triangle, so I was hoping it would be better. Lingering is from a Korean first-timer. Neither of them are bad, just terribly ordinary. If you're in the right mood maybe these will scratch your itch but I wouldn't make either of them a priority.

*these may or may not be gerunds. Just roll with it, ok?

NIGHT OF THE LIVING GERUNDS*

...Just roll with it, ok?

Watched two last night:

Found Footage 3D: tries to be the Scream of the genre and while it’s far from the worst FF, it’s not clever or entertaining enough to justify the atypically long run time and thin characterization. It ends up “okay.”*

Still, props for Shudder actually having the 3D version available for streaming. I was able to enjoy the gimmick fully.

Haunt: would pair nicely with Hell Fest. It’s a less straight forward haunted house slasher, with more emphasis on the attraction itself being perverted into something actually dangerous, but that ambition leads to both higher highs and sloppier lows. Either way, a very solid flick that would make great October fodder with friends.