Pyro's Piss poor review

→ in
Tools    

I decided to attempt a review, so here it is. I've choosen to review Happiness of the Katakuris as its such a unique genre bending movie, i think people here should definately see it.

Directed by Takashi Miike, the man who directed Audition and Ichi the Killer so before you start to get the wrong idea, this film is nothing like them, in fact it's a musical. I'll be honest and admit i didnt really understand the films plot, but i dont think i was meant to.
It begins with a claymation scene where a woman orders some soup and finds a demon in which comes out of the soup, the film transfers into claymation and the devil falls in love and then rips out the womans uluva. Then there's a life cycle where the devil is eaten by a crow which is then killed by a evil teddy bear. Odd, yes. Then there's some more randomness and suddenly we are introduced to the Katakuris.
The Katakuris are a family who run a guesthouse in the middle of nowhere that has no guests. Their first guest commits suicide and instead of reporting this they decide to bury the body. There's a couple more comic deaths which are buried and the final death is of Richard, the daughters latest love. He was pretty cool, the most memorable character, and the 'I Love You' song and dance is undoubtedly the highlight of the film. I wont ruin the twists of his character, though they aren't major factors in the narrative. After this i don't really know whats happens, a guest turns nasty, the police arrive and the volcano they are situated under erupts. THis is followed by more clay-mation as they carry the guest house away from the volcano (??).
I think for this film being so frighteningly unique alone makes it a must see. Saying that, its not for all, but a sure treat for those who do see it. It may not be the Sound of Music but heck, it's a riot. All in all a film that has something for everyone and one you wont see in the multi-plexes anytime soon.

Overall 8.5/10

A system of cells interlinked
Cool review.. I just picked up "The Eye" yesterday, but have yet to watch it. Now I can add this one to my list of asian cinema to see.

Arresting your development
I thought I saw something about midgets....(where?)

I am having a nervous breakdance
I don't think your review is piss poor.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Interesting choice of genre....and, nice review

Good review, sounds very weird gana have to see this film.

Thanks, errrm although there are numerous odd folks in it, i think midgets are in the minority. As for the piss poor, i didnt want to blow my own trumpet (1st review n'all) and i liked the alliteration

It's a good first review...nicely done!

Well, if anyone wants to read this, i have a few Asian treats to share with y'all. I'll keep the reviews brief and simple.

Takashi Miike is one busy man, churning several films a year. Of course, this would lead one to believe they're rushed and, well bad. Luckily, as far i can see, this is not the case and in my opinion, the highlight of his career so far has to be this film....

Bird People in China

The film serves as an interesting contrast against the seemingly excessively violent reputation Miike has garnished. If you've seen any of his films, you probably wouldn't believe the same guy made this exsqusite film.

The plot involves two opposite characters, a Yakuza and a business man. It's relatively simple, the business owes the Yakuza money, so our two characters are both sent to China to retrieve rare jade from a mountain village and*repay* the Yakuza debt. This basic plot outline is essentially irrelevant. As each character realises they're both stuck in the same boat, a bond forms, especially after their guide suffers a campfire accident. The film is a true study of character, not to mention wholly beautiful. To explain the title, when we reach the village the locals believed their ancestors could fly, as such there are flying schools etc. Each character embraces this new culture, the Yakuza even reforms and chooses to live there, although goes slightly mad. I won't spoil it but he doesn't allow the business man to leave with the jade as it would bring development to this untouched society. The film is also full of quirky humour, the mini van section of the journey is a fine example of Miike's comic ability. There are a some some scenes of violence, a Yakuza shoot out and an animal massacre, although gory, none of these reach the violent depravity of his other films.

Much of the films reloves around the character interactions, thankfully the acting is spot on. As well as this, every shot is lush and the screen oozes with beauty, a far depature to oozing with blood. Admittedly i do feel a lot is lost in translation. The culture clash of China/Japan and the languages went over my head a bit, however you can still appreciate the isolation. In terms of a Miike film, this is his most unique in my opinion. While Happiness of the Katakuris mingled genres, it kept a lot of his signatures and visual styles however this is just awe inspiring and unlike any of his other films (that i've seen). A real treat to anyone who sees it, and the ending is heart-warming and breathtaking.

9.5/10

Review #3

Tears of a Black Tiger (Wisit Sasanatieng, 2000)

Now, i'm not ashamed to say this is probably the 1st Thai film i've ever seen, hopefully it won't be my last.

The film has the standard love story plot, and well that's about it as far as plot goes. It takes a lot of the codes and conventions of the Western genre, especially visuals. Whether or not it actually IS a Western is another question, it certainly looks like one.

A problem with this film was if it actually was tongue in cheek, or deadly serious. My bet's on the first. Bearing in mind the costumes (including an especially dubious moustache) and theatric sets, it's hard not to laugh at some of it. That said, there is some generous helpings of violence, contrasted with the love story. The film is highly plaesing on the eye, with some equally lush and garish settings and shots. My favourite would have to be the river turning red.

Overall, a mixture of comedy, violence and romance in a odd blend of Thai and West cultures. Over the top, and humouress shootouts with oddball characters help to create one of the zaniest films i've seen.

7.5/10

Gozu (2003, Takashi Miike)

Gozu is initially an accessible and interesting Miike film. It begins with mild humour and the introduction of a 'crazy' Yakuza boss- Ozaki, in one scene throwing a small "yakuza attack dog" against a restaurant window (lol). The humour initially presented is slightly lost towards the end, at least i hope it is.

The film is very similar to Twin Peaks, the small town full of quirky inhabitants, but where the TV series format allowed us to recognize and emphasise with this variety of characters over the time of the series, a 120 minute film simply isn't long enough to develop such a diverse set of characters. This was the initial flaw i found in the film, characters would be built up and appear in a scene, and they are presented well and undoubtedly they have a rich and colourful personality but this is briefly touched upon, leaving us wanting more that we never actually get. Then these character are just disregarded for the rest of the film.

The aforementioned yakuza, Ozaki, is being driven and about to be killed (unknown to him) by his close brother- Minami. A long the way the boss dies of natural causes. The brother, Minami drives to the Twin Peaks-esque town but the body disappears. What follows is a dragged out yarn of Minami doing some detective work and meeting the useless and quirky characters. A notable scene is the cow-headed yakuza (Seen on poster) dream and although i was expected this character to be in a more primary role, it was still a sick, and slick scene. Later a woman appears, claiming to be Ozaki, i'll be honest and admit i didn't really understand what was going on here. She convinces Minami with intimate knowledge only he'd know, though no-one else believes it, including the head yakuza and she/he goes back to his place, wink wink, again no idea why.

Now we're moving towards the end, it gets really ****ed. The boss can only 'pitch his tent' with a strategically placed ladle (just see the film). Minami, naturally strives to prevent his brother having intercourse with the mob boss, and this culminates in a sticky and electricrifying death scene. Ahh, it's all resolved. Ozaki isnt really Ozaki and Minami can express and release his sexually feeling towards her (Minami has problems you see, one of which is he's a virgin). After banging her something appears to have gone wrong... yeah, did you forget it was a Miike film?

I'll leave you in suspense as to what happens but i've made all my flatmates watch it, and their reaction was quality. Hopefully you'll see the film and get the disturbing shock I had. The film is good, despite being slightly over ambitious and dragging in places. It does seem like an exercise in Miike experiment with character and creating a more mainstream film, until the end that is. Overall, if you like Twin Peaks, it's an interesting Asian take and anyone who likes to be shocked should too, enjoy it.

7/10
Attached Images
File Type: bmp gozu.bmp (157.9 KB, 357 views)
File Type: bmp nose.bmp (253.2 KB, 365 views)

Lone Wolf and Cub, Sword of Vengeance (Kenji Misumi, 1972)

Ok, now I havn't seen any 'classic' Samurai films (i.e. the works of Kurosawa) but this film is damned good. To be honest, one of my few experiences of the genre is Shogun Assassin, of which this was edited into. But anyway, the action scenes are fly, the acting just good enough to not let it slip into the cheese and Ogami Itto is safe as ****. That's not to say it doesn't have its problems, the fractured narrative was at times confusing, drifting into flashbacks with little warning or few pointers.

Overall, I reckon you should see it if you hold even a dwindling interest in the samurai films. Kitano's Zatoichi come close to this, but Sword of Vengeance takes the biscuit. Roll on the rest of the series.

10/10

Thanks for the reviews trampy, I have added a few to my must see list, it is so long now, thanks a lot.

I don't wanna judge a book by it's cover...but this one looks like it's going to leave a nasty stain. I must see it!

Thanks man!

Cheers guys.

Ahh Gozu, Mr Last, i'd be very intrigued as to your what your feelings are after seeing it. Last person i leant it to got really really angry at me, lol.

Into the Mirror (Seong-ho Kim, 2003)

Although this horror film comes from Korea, it still adheres to the same formula which Ringu created and used so well.

In case you havn't seen Ringu and don't know this pattern i'm talking about its consists of a unique and supernatural force, killing, our hero and often a cynical partner investigating, a family secret revealed and a confrontation then a twist. The unique aspect here is the villian comes through mirrors to kill, oooh.

TBH, when the typical Asain horror formula emerged i rather gave up hope and lost interest. The first few deaths aren't particularly scary or well done, though that's not to say the film isn't intelligent. It has some interesting moments, not including the poor twist, or most the formulaic plot. The mirror aspect has some interesting touches and anyone who has an interest in Asian horror would probably enjoy it. It doesn't rank up high with The Eye or Dark Water and probably won't get the American remake treatment but as i said, it's not too bad for a quick watch.

6/10