Overrated Actors/ Underrated Actors

Tools    

Legend in my own mind
Some that are Underrated (In my opinion)

Stephen Graham
Vince Vaughn
Mena Suvari
Miles Teller
Sigourney Weaver
Shia Labeouf
Jamie Lee Curtis
Bob Odenkirk
Sacha Baron Cohen
Dev Patel

Daniel Craig is underrated imo, though I'm not the biggest fan of his as 007, he's damn brilliant in other stuff.

Account terminated on request
This is really a complicated question that likely needs some complicated answers. I'll do my best here:

Highly rated and yet still somewhat UNDERRATED: Russel Crowe. <----The performance in A Beautiful Mind still does not get enough acclaim, and him being robbed at the oscars was a just a crime. To be able to pull that role off and not "see" Russel Crowe but John Nash was astounding to me.

TOTALLY OVERRATED, but can make a good movie: Kevin Costner. The guy has such a cardboard expression for nearly all of his emotions, it's pathetic to me. My golden retriever can summon more expressions on demand.

MOSTLY OVERRATED, and no one agrees with me: Meryl Streep. And because no one agrees with me, I'm not getting into it.

CRAZY HIGHLY RATED JUSTIFIABLY: Jack Lemon. All the proof I need: Final scene in Glenngary Glenn Ross (a film otherwise dreadful to me).....He managed to pull off showing a guy in terror at not being able to maintain the right responses to cover his obvious mistake of giving away that he knew that Kevin Spacey was making things up.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Underrated: So very many not born in the United States.
Isn't that simply Survivorship Bias?

Basically, the ones in movies good enough to make it out of their countries and make it to the United States are likely to have lesser known very good actors in them.

MOSTLY OVERRATED, and no one agrees with me: Meryl Streep. And because no one agrees with me, I'm not getting into it.
You will probably be marooned on a island with this one. In the history of Hollywood, there have been very few like her, maybe none. Although I think Betty Davis is quite match. I am not saying decade, or generation etc. I am saying history.

This is really a complicated question that likely needs some complicated answers. I'll do my best here:

CRAZY HIGHLY RATED JUSTIFIABLY: Jack Lemon. All the proof I need: Final scene in Glenngary Glenn Ross (a film otherwise dreadful to me).....He managed to pull off showing a guy in terror at not being able to maintain the right responses to cover his obvious mistake of giving away that he knew that Kevin Spacey was making things up.
So glad you mentioned this...I thought Jack Lemmon was AMAZING in Glengarry Gen Ross

John Wayne could act!
I'll confess I haven't seen a lot of his work, butt one John Wayne performance looked like another to me, with the possible exception of The Shootist

Overrated: Ben Affleck - This guy can't act. The only reason he gets to make movies is because girls like to look at him.

Underratedon Cheadle - He is a powerful character actor. The sad thing is that most of the movie going public will only see him in Ocean's Eleven and Twelve.

I agree that Don Cheadle is seriously underrated, the guy should have a couple of Oscars by now.

Julia Roberts

Or maybe I just don't like her big mouth.

I am still pissed that she stole the oscar from Ellen Burstyn in 2000.

She definitely stole Ellen Burstyn's Oscar in 2000...the only Oscar worthy performance I've seen from Julia Roberts was in August: Osage County

Julia Roberts

Or maybe I just don't like her big mouth.

I am still pissed that she stole the oscar from Ellen Burstyn in 2000.
*TOTALLY* overrated.

But wide mouths are awesome on women.

A system of cells interlinked
I read the post you folks quoted and said to myself "Man, when did I say that??"

Way back in 2004!

The truth is in here
Overrated: Ben Affleck - This guy can't act. The only reason he gets to make movies is because girls like to look at him.
I know this post is from 2004, but he was excellent in Gone Girl. He manages to make his character a pretty huge jerk yet still easy to root for at the same time if that makes sense.

i have to agree with you on robin williams. the only movie that i know of that i thought wasnt all that good that he was in was Death To Smoochy. GOOOOOODDDD MORNING VIETNAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but affleck might have been good in maybe two movies but the rest of them have been weak and pointless. if they had had a diff. actor in daredevil that would have taken his place it would have been good but he kinda ruined it.
I LOVED Death to Smoochy but Edward Norton stole that film from Willams

Underratedon Cheadle - He is a powerful character actor. The sad thing is that most of the movie going public will only see him in Ocean's Eleven and Twelve.
Totally agree regarding Cheadle...if I had a list of most underrated actors, Cheadle would be in the top 3.