Why does society want actors to be similar to roles they are playing?

Tools    

But Black Panther was a comic book that already had a fan following compared to a movie like Friday, which did not have a prior following. So the prior following already guarantees more of a sucess than Friday, even with 200 million dollars, it's still more guaranteed to make it's money back compared to a complete original lower budget movie. The lower budget one, with less of a following, and less marketing is the bigger risk.

Another movie in the 90s with an all black cast, accept for one white character, was Set It Off, and that movie was a box office hit, because of the black cast, and that is why people went to see the movie. So an all black cast makes a movie a hit, not a risk.
Totally agree, but that feeds into my point. A higher profile movie back then would not have cast an all black cast, because they felt it was more of a risk. Nowadays, more black actors have been given roles, therefore increasing their visibility and thus their marketability. To answer my statement of “it would be hard to prove...” with “well there was higher risk”, just proves that a movie like Black Panther could not have happened, because of the risk

Well since there doesn't seem to be any celebrity or known transgender actors in Hollywood, if a trans actor got the part, she would have to come out say she was transgender to promote the movie, and you use their transexuality as a market promotion tool therefore, right? Wouldn't be a lot of pressure for a newcomer actor to have to do that?
I would think a trans person going for a trans role would be open about being trans. Nothing to come out about. Would it be hard, press wise...sure. But that wouldn’t be a reason to avoid casting him or her. To be fair there are working trans actors and actresses

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I just maybe they might feel that their sexuality was being exploited as a use to market the movie, unless an actor wouldn't see it that way.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Attention... They can't advertise a movie as being great, so they use non-movie stuff so millions know about it, knowing that a certain percentage will watch.

There's a lot of strange assumptions here and it's a little difficult to unpack them all. For one, you seem to think that if you have not "invalidated" someone's opinion, they cannot be insulted. I don't think that's true. You also seem to think I've accused you of setting yourself up on some "moral high ground," which I didn't say (and don't think is necessarily a problem!), but which also seems intrinsic to the act of criticizing anyone on an issue like this.
That's an assumption of an assumption you are making out there.

I don't seem to think anything. I just don't think it's fair to hold that kind of argument from either of our positions. Because maybe I'm wrong here and I'd apologize if that's the case but none of us two are trans? We can't speculate on stuff like this. I can only speak about intent here.

I noted that some trans people would be insulted by you making a distinction between women and trans women. That's it. I didn't say you "invalidated" their opinion or personally attack you for this, I noted it to make it clear that this wasn't a standard "advocate vs. non-advocate" disagreement, but actually a lot more nuanced and complicated than most of these kinds of disputes.
That twists my argument to an almost absurd degree. A distinction between women and trans women? Holy crap, I'm saying that trans actors and actresses don't get as many roles as cis actors and actresses. It's statistics. And it's a special kind of twist to talk about me making a distinction when the core of the argument is claiming that the film industry makes a distinction.

I'm sorry, I don't know if I'm not explaining myself well or something but... damn.

Your answer reads as: "You are making a distinction between black and white people", or "You are making a distinction between men and women". Worse, actually, because you mention it as "women and trans women". Like, are you trying to tell me that I said that trans women are not women?

Sorry for dragging on this point so much but this is bad. And I mean, your intention is great and we quite agree on the core idea, but...

Sure, that's not what you're talking about. But it's what I'm asking about, and it seems like a pretty fair thing to ask; Johansson playing a trans woman is not like blackface because her portray may or may not be thoughtful, but blackface never is. That's what I'm saying. If you feel the comparison to blackface is valid, it would seem to logically necessitate that you think Johansson is doing something equally irredeemable, which also has no potential way to be thoughtful.
But I don't think Johannson is doing something irredeemable or even bad. Like I don't think Henry Brandon was doing something bad. What's bad here if anything is that they get these roles when trans people and people of other ethnicities in each case don't ever have the same chances to work on films, let alone at roles that defy their gender identity or ethnicity like Johannson and Brandon do instead. Of course, one could argue about whether the specific portrayal is offensive or not, but the overall issue is more structural. It's not the actors' fault, maybe it's not even the director's fault.

Revised from what to what? Any examples would be helpful.
Would take a while to find reliable information on a field that is not my own. But a very clear consequence is the very recent WHO resolution to no longer consider transgender a mental illness. Transgender as a term is also kind of a new paradigm because it no longer reflects a desire or need of transition (changing anatomy), and is defined in terms of personal identity (that's Wikipedia, so yeah, I need to find more solid stuff).

What aspects, though? That's the actual question. Obviously if I ask how this aspect of identity is defined, it's circular to say it's based on "aspects of...identity." Saying "social, cultural and personal" is just listing categories the answer might come from.
I don't have an answer? Gender is something that each lives and sees in a different way. Social and cultural: how your gender defines the way you behave and interact. Personal: how do you feel yourself. I don't have the same idea of masculinity others have.

You were mentioning about gender roles as well... I think gender roles can be both embraced positively -as long as they are not plain discriminatory- while not reducing gender to them. It's a valid form of identity and expression that nobody should be forced to, but nobody should be forced out of.

You're suggesting the definition can be totally different from person to person? Isn't that the same thing as saying there is no definition?
Not really. I think the definition is just broad. How one lives and perceives gender and every related element in it is personal.

My apologies for the delay and if I sounded a bit worked up at some points.

One of my favorite movies, The Skin I Live In (2011)--

SPOILER

Has a transgender character in the movie. It's a spoiler cause in the movie we the audience believe that the character is a woman, but then later on, find out she use to be man, but was transformed surgically. However, in the movie, the transgender character is played by an cysgender actress.

When the movie came out and people saw it, no one was complaining that the filmmakers had done some injustice by not casting a transgender actor in the role.

So that movie got away with it.

Like, are you trying to tell me that I said that trans women are not women?
No. I'm saying that if you're upset about casting Johansson being cast as a trans woman (as opposed to a trans woman), that inherently makes a distinction between the two that many trans people find objectionable. I make no assumptions about whether you are/were upset about that. I'm simply pointing out that this is the unavoidable result if someone is.

I think the problem here is the assumption that, if I'm making this point, I must be directing it at you (or even contradicting you). In this case I'm just pointing out the logical implications for people who are upset about the casting (or reflexively defending people upset about the casting).

But I don't think Johannson is doing something irredeemable or even bad. Like I don't think Henry Brandon was doing something bad. What's bad here if anything is that they get these roles when trans people and people of other ethnicities in each case don't ever have the same chances to work on films, let alone at roles that defy their gender identity or ethnicity like Johannson and Brandon do instead. Of course, one could argue about whether the specific portrayal is offensive or not, but the overall issue is more structural. It's not the actors' fault, maybe it's not even the director's fault.
I think that's an appropriately mature and nuanced way to look at things, yeah. One thing that really bugs me is how often people discuss social problems in a broad sense, to establish that they're problems, but then use that to target highly specific matters way downstream of those problems. IE: "sexism is a problem" skipping all the intermediate ripple effects about education or experience or choice of industry and jumping right to the end point of hiring practices.

This feels similar. If you (not you, specifically, but whoever) think the state of cinema would be better with more trans people making films, that's a reasonable position. New perspectives can be interesting and valuable. That doesn't mean you should get mad at people with no control over the system as a whole, hiring non-trans people because they make up 99% of the qualified actors available, and sometimes 100% of the actors available that will actually allow their film to, ya' know, actually get made.

My apologies for the delay and if I sounded a bit worked up at some points.
Appreciate you saying that. No worries. I think we're mostly on the same page now. You're talking about the issue in general (and not necessarily criticizing the casting or anyone involved in it), and I'm discussing implications without necessarily directing them at you for explanation.

I'm separating out the other part of your post, about the definition of gender, because it's pretty much the core question I'm asking, and is probably a more worthwhile discussion than us hashing out our relatively modest misunderstandings.

I don't have an answer? Gender is something that each lives and sees in a different way. Social and cultural: how your gender defines the way you behave and interact. Personal: how do you feel yourself. I don't have the same idea of masculinity others have.

You were mentioning about gender roles as well... I think gender roles can be both embraced positively -as long as they are not plain discriminatory- while not reducing gender to them. It's a valid form of identity and expression that nobody should be forced to, but nobody should be forced out of.
Not really. I think the definition is just broad. How one lives and perceives gender and every related element in it is personal.
Personal definitions are impossible, by (heh) definition. The word "banana" communicates an idea because it refers to an objective thing outside anyone's subjective experience. If everyone just randomly decided what "banana" meant, the word wouldn't mean anything. For a definition to be valid (or even be a definition it all), it must exclude something.

We all agree you don't have to act "girly" or wear dresses to be a woman, or wear boots and be aggressive to be a man, right? Men can be feminine and women can be masculine. You don't have to act any particular way to be a man, or to be a woman.

So, if you also believe that gender is also unrelated to sex...what's left? What distinguishes a man from a woman? What can it mean to say you feel like one of those things, rather than the other, if there is literally no trait or impulse or fact that cannot fall within either?

Mostly because those same people have a hard time getting roles as it is. So when a role they could very easily play comes around and you just pass it off as well, it’s a bit of an issue. Personally, I like how diverse Hollywood is becoming. 15-20 years ago, we would never have gotten a movie like Black Panther with so many Black actors. Even Blade, had a majority White cast. Other races could benefit from seeing others, who look like them, on the big screen. It inspires

Well since there doesn't seem to be any celebrity or known transgender actors in Hollywood, if a trans actor got the part, she would have to come out say she was transgender to promote the movie, and you use their transexuality as a market promotion tool therefore, right? Wouldn't be a lot of pressure for a newcomer actor to have to do that?

What about Caitlyn Jenner?

Caitlyn Jenner doesn't act though. I've never seen her in any movies, so I don't know her acting talent, but not sure if she would be able to pull off a dramatic role, as I understand this role to be. Plus I think she would be too old for the role as well, as this script is based off a true story, right?