Pick A Movie For Me (Chain Game)

Tools    

Somebodys gotta throw Next Scorcese a post comment or PM. Sorry I havent been in here, been writing that story. TONGO brain pudding

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Somebodys gotta throw Next Scorcese a post comment or PM.
Why? Doesn't he just pick from the green names on the list?

Why? Doesn't he just pick from the green names on the list?
He has to pick someone to choose a movie for him, but they have to be willing to do the same thing.

He has to pick someone to choose a movie for him, but they have to be willing to do the same thing.
I thought being in the thread and in green means you're willing and able, otherwise, you have to say you opt out.

This thread is dependent on invites and participation so post here if you'd like to opt in (and if you'd like to opt out), you can pick somebody who hasn't posted in the thread yet so long as they participate.
I didn't even ask cricket, I just picked him 'cause he was green.

I thought being in the thread and in green means you're willing and able, otherwise, you have to say you opt out.
They don't have to be on the list. What TONGO's saying is that NextScorsese hasn't picked a movie yet even by suggesting a movie he's signed up to have one put to him as well.

We really should rename this thread Pick A Movie For Me!. It would cut thru the confusion, and probably get more volume of people in here. I know there are people avoiding this cause I originally put the words "chain" and "challenge" in the title, and imo is hinking up the process. What do you think Omni?

... or green means go/pick me/ready, while red means you opt out of the chain. Yeah, I obviously don't get all the complex rules, where 95% of your time is looking, searching and PMs to a potential volunteer and just 5% is picking/getting a film.

... or green means go/pick me/ready, while red means you opt out of the chain. Yeah, I obviously don't get all the complex rules, where 95% of your time is looking, searching and PMs to a potential volunteer and just 5% is picking/getting a film.
It's hardly what I'd call complex.

You can pick anyone who hasn't already been picked and still has a movie to watch. If they get picked, then they do the same.

Yeah, it's not complex. The green just means that person has already watched a movie for it and can be picked again, but you can pick someone not on the list. You probably have a better chance getting someone in green to pick one for you since they are already taking part but it isn't a must.

After Hours (1985)

For a film that's described as being a comedy, I didn't find much about it to be particularly funny. I'm usually a huge fan of black comedy, so I imagine it's just the subject matter that didn't really appeal to me. That said, when events really start to connect and Paul's situation starts to spiral out of control, it did become infinitely more entertaining.

After Hours is definitely a very strange film, and it's certainly quite stylish. The cinematography does make up for the portions of the plot I was completely uninvested in, and I rather liked the odd, abrupt ending, even if it did initially seem tonally out of place. I imagine this is the kind of movie that I'd appreciate more on subsequent viewings, and I'll definitely keep it in mind for the next time I'm in the mood to watch this kind of movie.

Used Cars (1980)

I saw this over 30 years ago, but the only thing I could remember was the girls dancing on the cars. I didn't think the movie was great, but I enjoyed it and it was an excellent choice for me.

The story is basic; two brothers (both play by Jack Ward) compete for business at their used car lots which are right across the road from one another. Kurt Russell, as a slimy salesman, is the main star. The simple story is fine for a comedy, as it's basically just an excuse to find a setting for some laughs. The movie ends up being quite funny. The swearing is very effective in this movie. Many movies today try to get creative with foul language, while this movie relied on simple F bombs. It was a refreshing change of pace. My only complaint is that I think the story became too much of a focal point. With a stronger focus on babes and booze, I think this could have been an absolute classic in the same vein as Caddyshack or Vacation.

Swan ► Close Up (1990)
Daniel M ► Closet Land (1991)
MonnoM ► Doomed Megalopolis (1991)
OmnizoaYoung Adult (2011)
TuggFour Lions (2010)
CamoThe Nanny (1965)
Citizen RulesSamurai Rebellion (1967)
CricketCity Of Lost Children (1995)
TheUsualSuspect ► Vagabond (1986)
Redwell ► Postman Blues (1997)
TONGODragon Tiger Gate (2006)
Omnizoa ► Gen-X Cops (1999)
CosmicRunawaySociety (1989)
re93animatorThe Fear of 13 (2015)
ClazorKids (1995)
Topsy ► Whatever Happened To Baby Jane (1962)
Mistique ► Seven Samurai (1954)
Nope ► Martyrs (2008)
The Sci-Fi Slob ► Asylum Blackout (2011)
MonnoM ► Mutant Action (1993)
re93animatorHarakiri (1962)
CamoThe World According To Garp (1982)
TONGOHowl (2015)
Above The Clouds ► Dark Waters (1993) ?
MonnoM ► Heaven (2002)
Movie MaxAn American Werewolf in London (1981)
CricketUsed Cars (1980)
re93animatorFurry Vengeance (2010)
The Sci-Fi SlobThe Lion In Winter (1968)
TONGO ► Bigger than Life (1956)
Frightened Inmate No. 2 ► Night on Earth (1991)
Citizen Rules ► Payback (1999)
ClazorBrazil (1985)
CosmicRunawayAfter Hours (1985)
NextScorsese ► ?????

Yeah, it's not complex.
You're right, currently it's a really simple and easy way to reach a stalemate, impasse, deadlock, etc. within the thread.

Why don't you ask TONGO. He seems to display an understanding and desire for a thread that moves along at some kind of pace...

Somebodys gotta throw Next Scorcese a post comment or PM. Sorry I havent been in here, been writing that story. TONGO brain pudding

where 95% of your time is looking
Well if you are still talking about this then i can tell you i've been following both of these threads from the start and Next Scorcese is the only one who has taken any notable amount of time to get someone to pick for him. Citizen went out hiking and couldn't pick for a day but other than those this has been going at a fairly steady pace throughout.

Well if you are still talking about this then i can tell you i've been following both of these threads from the start and Next Scorcese is the only one who has taken any notable amount of time to get someone to pick for him. Citizen went out hiking and couldn't pick for a day but other than those this has been going at a fairly steady pace throughout.
I'm thinking that 3 days of attempts to get Tugg, put him in the red or unavailable category for the moment. We should have a list of those in green standing by and those who may not wish to stay in the chain. Just an opinion from a thread follower. I joined with the intention to participate. I didn't expect the thread to be mainly a search for volunteers and a discussion about participation. There should be a pool of ready, active and alert participants that a person can choose from.

Camo, are you ready to pick for someone and then watch another film that is picked for you?

Any suggestions, ideas, new members, and we all can make this a staple

I'm thinking that 3 days of attempts to get Tugg, put him in the red or unavailable category for the moment.
I'd agree, three days is enough. I saw him on earlier so no idea why he or Next Scorcese hasn't asked anyone.

I didn't expect the thread to be mainly a search for volunteers and a discussion about participation.
It's not though. You've basically joined the thread at the one point were it stalls. It's not been open for that long and a fair amount of films have been watched. I've went twice, and i think some may have went three times even. At least 15 people have participated. NextScorcese+Tugg has been the one problem since TONGO opened the thread over 3 weeks ago. I think there should be a certain amount of time set for whoever is asked to respond maybe but i don't think some other suggestions are necessary and i think they restrict what should be a casual, fun thing.

. There should be a pool of ready, active and alert participants that a person can choose from.
There's always going to be certain members you know will most likely respond fairly quickly and will take part like me, Cricket, TONGO, Cosmic, Citizen, etc. And if someone wants to choose us then they are free to but they should be free to ask someone not yet participating in the thread if they're interested if they want to as well. Like i asked Cobpyth, he couldn't because he is in Vietnam but he's said he wants to take part when he comes back. There will be others that either haven't seen this thread or just haven't opened it.

Camo, are you ready to pick for someone and then watch another film that is picked for you?
Sure.