Swan's Movie Reviews.

→ in
Tools    

I made the title serious because this is a serious thread.

*Serious face*

DAMMIT

Anyway, I'm going to try to write longer, full-length movie reviews because people in real life tell me I should maybe think about taking film criticism seriously. Alas, I know the appeal of my other thread is that those write-ups and short and concise. So I'm going to keep those going for those who like them. So I need TWO THREADS: one for my mini write-ups, one for my full-length reviews. This thread is for the full-length reviews.

Unnecessary? Perhaps. Typical Swan behavior? You know it!

I'm going to really enjoy reading these in the two minutes before you delete them.

KIDDING, kidding.

Better Watch Out
(Chris Peckover, 2017)

12-year-old Luke Lerner’s voice is cracking. His youth, though still prevalent, is becoming a thing of the past; even though his room is littered with action figures and video games, the conversation he and his vulgar-mouthed friend Garrett have in it toward the beginning of the film shows two young millennials whose knowledge of grown-up things exceeds their grasp. At the dawn of this confused journey into manhood, his crush on his babysitter Ashley, five years his senior, has grown into something fierce. His attempts to woo her while she watches over him one night consistently fail. This storyline would seem to take a backseat as home invaders enter the house, but it works itself back around in an unexpected way.

Better Watch Out is a tour de force of subversion, reaching a level that would make Michael Haneke proud. It sets itself up as a standard home invasion film, and in the hands of sophomore filmmaker Chris Peckover, who injects the film with care and enthusiasm, that might have been enough. Had the film played out as I expected it to, I would have liked it anyway. Some movies play clichés well, and that’s the kind of movie I thought I was getting into. I wasn’t expecting what happens in this one about halfway through. Call it the turning point, it’s a moment that flips the story on its head in a way it can’t ever come back from. Juxtaposing all the film’s whimsy, this moment and the proceeding events produce the unpleasant feeling that what you are getting into as the viewer is not something joyful but that is instead tangibly darker, almost anxiety-inducing. But the very final moment acts as an emotional and tonal resolution, showing that the seemingly mean-spirited atmosphere is meant to be taken in jest.

Levi Miller, as Luke, plays his character with an intense enthusiasm that is highlighted by his fascinating arc. Olivia DeJonge plays Ashley with tough vigor, never acting like a helpless victim even when she’s put in the role of damsel-in-distress. Ed Oxenbould’s character, Garret, starts as the foul-mouthed jokester but ends up with perhaps the most emotionally impactful moment of the film. All three shine brightly in their performances, and together they interact in a way with which there is a sense of past and familiarity between their characters. Certainly DeJonge and Oxenbould are familiar with each other, having previously collaborated as the siblings in The Visit.

Combining the wit, twists and turns, and pure craziness of it all, there is certainly never a dull moment to be found here. But I have to wonder about Better Watch Out’s future popularity. No doubt there will be people who embrace its darkness, knowing the subversive nature of the film is meant to be taken lightly. However, its whimsical unpleasantness may turn some people off. I think at the very least, Better Watch Out will live in cult status, but I hope it gets more than that. It deserves it.

Well I tried. It's nowhere near as long as I wanted, but expanding is my challenge right now.

Lol. Now I get why the reviewers around here always feel neglected. I miss MM.

Cheer up buddy, I don't read 'em if I ain't seen 'em but it sure do look pretty

Cheer up buddy, I don't read 'em if I ain't seen 'em but it sure do look pretty
No worries! It's not a big deal.

Unregistered User
Great review Swan. I don't think the movie looks great but I'm adding it to my watch list based on your review. The very mention of Home Invasion, Michael Haneke and Anxiety-inducing alone would have been enough.

Good work.

Thanks samoan. Appreciate it. I do think I'll get better though at writing full-length reviews. With the help of MM I'm realizing expansion is not my only challenge. I think my strength when writing about movies is my "personal enthusiasm," but if I'm writing full-length stuff, I need to weave that into more objective analysis. A blend of both would be nice. However since I'm not great at analysis, that's what I need to work on, then try to weave my own personal touch back into it.

So warning to anyone who might read my work in thread (which honestly it's not a big deal if you don't): if my reviews sound too objective for a while, and lack the enthusiasm of my looser write-ups, that's on purpose. Can't do everything at once, but I want to get better at this.

Unregistered User
Thanks samoan. Appreciate it. I do think I'll get better though at writing full-length reviews. With the help of MM I'm realizing expansion is not my only challenge. I think my strength when writing about movies is my "personal enthusiasm," but if I'm writing full-length stuff, I need to weave that into more objective analysis. A blend of both would be nice. However since I'm not great at analysis, that's what I need to work on, then try to weave my own personal touch back into it.

So warning to anyone who might read my work in thread (which honestly it's not a big deal if you don't): if my reviews sound too objective for a while, and lack the enthusiasm of my looser write-ups, that's on purpose. Can't do everything at once, but I want to get better at this.

I'm useless at reviews so I cant comment much but I did mention to MM (I think) before that I had enjoyed his reviews because there were very personal. I suppose it depends who's reading them but for me, the more personal enthusiasm that shows, then the more I'll enjoy the review, usually.

Just my take.

Yeah, I think the personal thing is very important. It's what connects the critic to the reader, I guess.

I always want to hear the personal. I already know if I like the writing in a movie or if it's aesthetically pleasing. I want to hear how and why the themes resonate with people.

I can understand that. The personable writing should develop naturally. Whenever I'd try to force some personality or humor, I regret it later.

That's a good, well written review though. I'm looking forward to more Swanstoyevsky.

Master of My Domain
Swan abandoned his thread again,

Dumb dumb dumb dumb!

Swanny would probably finish his Top 50 albums if he ever did a thread on that though

#noreasonjustsayin'
*cough*