Harvey Weinstein and his antigun stance-- Hypocrite?

Tools    

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Not to turn this thread into a pro-gun/anti-gun discussion, but I saw this and am stunned. A producer who has made millions and millions promoting the glorification of gun violence more effectively than anyone else could have done, ever. The level of hypocrisy here is staggering.

How does the use of guns/violence in movies relate to real life opinions/beliefs?

It's two very different things sanctioning movies that use guns/violence and believing that guns should be allowed in your country. Movies are movies, he is making money and doing it well, whether you like it or not. I enjoy and watch loads of movies with guns and violence, some of them are my very favourites, would that make me a hypocrite if I chose to be against the use/ownership of guns in real life?

What I have issue with Weinstein is his opinion with the "tie" of movie violence to real life acts of violence.

Is there a tie? Hell no. That would be insane. There is no movie that is going to make a person go out and commit an act of violence. Harvey Weinstein seems to think differently. He even said:

"I think as filmmakers we should sit down -- the Marty Scoreseses, the Quentin Tarantinos, and hopefully all of us who deal in violence in movies -- and discuss our role in that."

If Harvey does not feel comfortable being a part of violent movies anymore that is his choice. What does smack of hypocrisy is that he is calling two filmmakers he has made money off of. Tarantino, a filmmaker he has made money off of since Weinstein's time at Miramax and released Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, to Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained with the Weinstein Company. And Scorsese when Miramax released Gangs of New York.

Film is a powerful medium. It can open our eyes to new experiences, new points of views, and can legitimately change us as people. But what it cannot do is make people commit violent acts out of no where. To do so would willfully ignore the actual causes of violent crime. To blame films, guns, or anything or anyone other then the person committing the violent act for acts of cruelty in real life is like blaming drunk driving on a car or obesity on a fork. It makes no sense.

In addition, I went to college for criminology and criminal justice. The study of crime and the knowledge of what contributes to crime is part of my bread in butter. And through the six years of college and two degrees, NEVER was the discussion of violent video games or cinema EVER discussed.

And since I am a Life Member of the National Rifle Association, I can only shake my head as this guy focuses on me and millions of law abiding gun owners instead of violent criminals for gun violence. When no doubt this guy has armed security 24/7, but thinks us poor schmucks outside of Hollywood can't be trusted with a rifle or handgun. THAT is Hollywood Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Does Harvey's new opinion smack of hypocrisy? I will say it does if he continues to do business with Tarantino. Is Harvey Weinstein a typical Hollywood jackass? Most certainly.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
How does the use of guns/violence in movies relate to real life opinions/beliefs?

It's two very different things sanctioning movies that use guns/violence and believing that guns should be allowed in your country. Movies are movies, he is making money and doing it well, whether you like it or not. I enjoy and watch loads of movies with guns and violence, some of them are my very favourites, would that make me a hypocrite if I chose to be against the use/ownership of guns in real life?
No, as a viewer, of course not. But he's a movie mogul with the power of mass influence. And he's so good at it, that his films have made significant marks on our culture. We laugh when Marvin gets shot in the face. He fed our blood lust time and again. His money's in the bank. Now suddenly he gets a conscience? And he wants to take sides and battle it out with the NRA? And make an anti-gun movie with Meryl Streep?

So now his movies aren't just movies anymore, they're politics.

Someone described the Jewish term chutzpah, as taking a dump on someone's front lawn and then knocking on their door and asking for toilet paper.

PS. I still love Quentin Tarantino to death