The Mad Men Season Five Thread

Tools    

Aye, she is. All the more reason to get her off the show.

I'm far from certain, but I heard the idea mentioned and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Especially in the way it explains why they spent so much time with a secondary character.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Well, kinda like shows like Lost would focus in on a character in strange depth right before killing him/her off...

It does make sense, but it'll certainly test January Jones's acting ability to pull it off, since I'm still not quite sure how Betty as a character would pull it off.

But it does strike a chord of truth, doesn't it? Definitely sounds like a Plot Line to me.

I'm looking back at what Ash said earlier about needing Betty so we can see Sally. Although I agree in some form, I can also just see the kids now living with Don full-time. Perhaps Henry would try to adopt them or take them out from under Don, but that sort of thing didn't happen then as much as it might today (custody wars with step-parents, etc.). They'd just live with their remaining parent, and Betty's parents are dead now, so they wouldn't be able to fight Don for custody.

And then we'd see a new family unit with Megan as stepmom, and the idea floated in this episode that perhaps Megan might be happy to see Betty die. (Don never confirmed that was what he was thinking, but I think Megan sufficiently shamed him for even thinking it subconsciously. I believe her when she says she wouldn't want anything like that to happen.)

Yup, there's that too: if they want us to see Sally, killing Betty gets us way more of that than keeping her involved. And ending up with the kids puts a potential strain on Don's new marriage, which seems to benefit from the fact that he doesn't have the kids that often. No more spur-of-the-moment-cleaning-sex. Poor Don.

The possibility is fraught with all sorts of drama, removes a relatively unpopular character, and gives us a lot more with an especially popular one. It'd be a bit of a masterstroke, really.

You know, now I'm hoping this isn't one of those situations like the end of Battlestar Galactica -- where your prediction is better than what actually ends up happening.

LOL

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Every scene with Betty induces me into a mini-coma--Yoda, I'm with you, she should be booted off that show asap. I figure if Roger came over and strangled her in a fit of blind alcoholic rage, and lit up a cigarette on her doorstep--I could live with that plot twist.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
well it almost seems like a role reversal in a way. like Don has finally met his match, and now he's off his guard. he even said in the season premier something like "i don't care about work right now" when he was talking to Megan. that would be the first time ever that Don Draper wasn't thinking about his business before his women, wouldn't you say? and seeing how unstable the company is right now i'd say that's pretty significant.

i don't know, i just get the feeling Megan hasn't really revealed who she really is yet. i don't know if the character has anything to hide but it just seems as if Megan acted like a perfect wife and mother to get Don to marry her and now she is acting like the perfect mistress to keep him interested. remember what her friend said at the party, Megan is a very good actress. who knows who or what the real Megan is like?

Oh, I get what you're saying about Don being different, just wasn't sure how Megan was supposed to be more like him. So it sounds like you're wondering if Megan has some Dick Whitman-esque secrets of her own, then?

And it's been nearly two months since our last posts here. We're now seeing that Megan is very dream and career minded, and is definitely more than a match for Don. In fact, she hardly seems like the shy, demure secretary from last season, and yet, it's making perfect sense too.

Now, about last Sunday's episode, "The Other Woman," where they snag the Jaguar account and Peggy makes some big decisions.... What do we think?

Apparently Jaguar tweeted their supposed frowning at how things played out... but Herb isn't a Jaguar employee. He works for an association of dealerships. I don't see what their fuss is all about.

Sometimes I think this show pushes the envelope with how much women were allowed to advance in situations like this. First Peggy and now Joan, advancing in ways that were largely unheard of...

Also, am I the only one who's concerned that the show is flying through the sixties too fast ... and we'll end up having to see everyone in awful seventies' fashions all too soon? (shudder)