British MoFos....any suggestions for TV?

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A lot of good suggestions so far, if you haven't seen Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars I'd get right on that.

I'd also suggest Merlin, since Howard Overman who created Misfits is one of the main writers. It's a bit more family audience, so less sex and swearing, and it can be a bit childish at times, but you've got similar themes of young people with secret powers. Plus there's Anthony Head, Richard Wilson and John Hurt hamming it up alongside the medieval teenage angst, which is always fun. The first couple of episodes are quite a lot of set-up for the rest of the series so if you make it past those it gets better. Slightly lame trailer but most of the stuff on youtube is either download ads or fanvids:

The Trip was brilliant. Fantastic tv that veers between being really funny, pathetic and making you squirm with embarrassment. Loved it. Genius

My favourite drama of the year has been the Crimson Petal and the White. I saw it before I read the book and while the book is more absorbing simply because it's a longer thing to enjoy, the four part series was very well done. The casting was superb too with Chris O'Dowd (I love him!) and Romola Garai

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zxc4d

Gillian Anderson was in it too in a small part. She's developed into a great character actress I think.

We've had a couple of cracking police dramas this year. I'd highly recommend Zen and The Shadow Line.

Zen's good, but it's really kicked up a few notches by the scenery. Set and shot in Rome, it looks sumptuous. As did Caterina Murino.

The Shadow Line is all wheels within wheels, plot twists and moral duplicity. Not something you can miss an episode of and then fall back into.

I also like The Case Histories (which Golgot mentioned), Bedlam (which will hopefully get another series, as the ending was barmy, though as it's set in a former asylum, I guess makes sense.)

I loved How TV Ruined Your Life, but then, I like everything Charlie Brooker (yes, even The 10 O'Clock Show) and this was, for the most part, a re-hash of themes covered in previous episodes of Screenwipe and Newswipe, both of which I recommended earlier.

Two one-off dramas come to mind. United, about the Munich tragedy of '58 and Hattie, about the private life of Hattie Jacques.

We've had a couple of cracking police dramas this year. I'd highly recommend Zen and The Shadow Line.

Zen's good, but it's really kicked up a few notches by the scenery. Set and shot in Rome, it looks sumptuous. As did Caterina Murino.

The Shadow Line is all wheels within wheels, plot twists and moral duplicity. Not something you can miss an episode of and then fall back into.

I also like The Case Histories (which Golgot mentioned), Bedlam (which will hopefully get another series, as the ending was barmy, though as it's set in a former asylum, I guess makes sense.)

I loved How TV Ruined Your Life, but then, I like everything Charlie Brooker (yes, even The 10 O'Clock Show) and this was, for the most part, a re-hash of themes covered in previous episodes of Screenwipe and Newswipe, both of which I recommended earlier.

Two one-off dramas come to mind. United, about the Munich tragedy of '58 and Hattie, about the private life of Hattie Jacques.
Good recommendations Hon, just adding the Victoria Wood written drama about the early lives of Morecombe and Wise. Like the excellent Hattie Jacques one, it prob won't be all that special to people who've not grown up with these comedians being much loved family entertainment but worth mentioning for the quality of the production and the care taken with period details.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
So, Earl, have any of these sparked your interest? Would you like any more suggestions?
Wow, took me a while () but I watched them all (just kidding). As I am in the need for something good, I'm going to peruse this thread again and pick one.

Wow, took me a while () but I watched them all (just kidding). As I am in the need for something good, I'm going to peruse this thread again and pick one.
You should start with "Sherlock". Seriously. I know IMDB ratings aren't much to go by, but there's a reason its currently rated 9.2/10.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Shame Ripper Street got cancelled. They recreated the era excellently, had a solid cast - leaning towards stellar by the end of series 2 - and packed loads of contemporary facts, lingo and ephemera into the episodes.

It had downsides too, but was def picking up speed. The 'split Sherlock & Watson into 3 characters, make one of them an American conman, and add some slow-mo gore' starting point was always a bit uninspired, and the tricksy dialogue was marred by awful soundwork far too often, but the good was def outweighing the bad as things progressed.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
He's Back!

1st January, 9.00pm BBC1

I started with Ripper Street, but I only thought the first and last episodes were any good. Therefore, I didn't bother with series 2, but it does have its fans and they're not happy. I hear there are rumours of it coming back/being saved even now. I wouldn't put much into them atm.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah felt the same about series 1 hk, but somehow the period setting got me through. Series 2 had lots of fluff about it too, but final arcs suggested it could go somewhere. Dialogue got a bit better too. 'A rosy notch' is just one of the florid phrases my household picked up

Gandalf is that some ref to sweary you-know-Who? Enjoyed the special if so. Less deus-ex than some I've seen