26th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I like Tarantino a lot, personally. Yes, he's immature and I wouldn't want to spend 20 minutes with the guy, but regardless of his maturity, I love the style in his films.

Ha, I'm not sure if you're calling me or Orson a jerk Oh well I know I'm not and I don't think Orson was either unless your name is William Randolph Hearst
I just find him, Welles, arrogant. That’s what get to me about Tarantino too. The personalities that drive me nuts tend to be the people that think they’re the smartest in the room.

I just find him, Welles, arrogant. That’s what get to me about Tarantino too. The personalities that drive me nuts tend to be the people that think they’re the smartest in the room.
Everyone has their own viewpoints, of course, and their own interpretation of events and actions...

...But from what I know of Orson Welles he was not deliberately arrogant, though I could totally see people finding him that way.
He once described himself as having an 'unfortunate personality', whatever that means I can only guess.

Another time I read a quote from a woman who had been at a party with him, I can't remember her exact words but it was to the effect that Orson was charming at the party...but he seemed to her to be the loneliness man in the room.

I find deliberately arrogant people to be weak and insecure, I never thought of Orson as either of those.

Do you have directors that you don’t like but can understand what others see in them, or is your taste an automatic dismissal of talent?

Do you have directors that you don’t like but can understand what others see in them, or is your taste an automatic dismissal of talent?
I genuinely do not see what someone could possibly like about Tarantino's dialogue and ftr I'm only saying that about his dialogue.

Regarding Tarantino and the dialogue he writes. There's no denying he had a fresh take on movie dialogue that resonated with his fans, but that doesn't make him a genius writer. He's more of a pop-director, 'marketing man', think: Pop Rocks in the 80s or Beanie Babies in the 90s.

Tarantino's written some great dialogue over the years and I'm an occasional fan of his work, but I also think that his ego can get in the way of his writing. When watching his films, all too often I get a sense that he's having a self-satisfied smirk after he writes a conversation and this can sometimes cause me to feel jaded.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I never really saw any talent from him dialogue wise myself, I saw his stories and adapted screenplays as more of a highlight personally. Again, I'm not a fan so you can dismiss this thought altogether if you see fit

Also, sorry if it seems like I'm slowing down on reviews here. I keep getting sidetracked with other things, but I hope to fix that soon.

Also, sorry if it seems like I'm slowing down on reviews here. I keep getting sidetracked with other things, but I hope to fix that soon.
You got my review from the other day, so you're fine

Just don't do what I did, and write a really long review without saving it...I lost my last review as I was just about done, and then had to do it over from scratch.
That's happened to me a few times in the past. It's really frustrating.

Seems like the responses are straight up not my taste=not good. How do you compare screen writing to beanie babies? I guess the connection is they are popular. Again popular doesn’t equal bad. I don’t know. I don’t like David Lynch, but totally get why people do. I even get why people are into Bay. I just think if good and bad film making is always lining up with your tastes, you aren’t being objective. Which is fine, just makes me dismiss the opinion most of the time.

Seems like the responses are straight up not my taste=not good. How do you compare screen writing to beanie babies? I guess the connection is they are popular. Again popular doesn’t equal bad. I don’t know. I don’t like David Lynch, but totally get why people do. I even get why people are into Bay. I just think if good and bad film making is always lining up with your tastes, you aren’t being objective. Which is fine, just makes me dismiss the opinion most of the time.
You know what the problem with the internet is? There's no real frame of reference for anything. And without references, there's just not much meaning unless one explains...I was just eating a granola bar and thinking of funny lines to respond with in the vein of J.J. Hunsecker...Some doozies too. But being the worrier I am, I worried that the humor wouldn't work and worse would be misinterpreted. When all I really wanted was to have some light-fun and laugh.

What I mean is, I think, you think that I equate my dislike for Tarantino and his movies, with him being a crummy director. Which isn't the case. I say he's capable of A work, but schmucks it up with a few low-ball lame ideas added to his films. It's his dumb-ass brain that I disdain but I don't hold that he can't make a good film.

Oh hell, this says it all (and will probably be the only thing remembered in my post): Tupperware=Tarantion

Tarantino's written some great dialogue over the years and I'm an occasional fan of his work, but I also think that his ego can get in the way of his writing. When watching his films, all too often I get a sense that he's having a self-satisfied smirk after he writes a conversation and this can sometimes cause me to feel jaded.
Yeah, plus his formula for writing "catchy" dialogue can a bit repetitive at times, especially in the last decade or so:

"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties... number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!"

"I count six shots.
I count two guns."

"You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

And he also has the tendency to make so many of his characters pop culture junkies (like himself) who are all too eager to share trivia and shoehorn in their opinions on that subject, opinions that are obviously his own, which makes a lot of them sound incredibly similar, sort of more like mouthpieces for his views rather than independent characters in their own right.