MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event)

Tools    

Here’s looking at you, kid.
@Allaby

“A Single Man” was a gorgeous film that dealt with suicide, death, mourning and depression through the eyes of George Falconer, played by Colin Firth.

Even though the film dealt with a depressing subject, there was so much beauty and love. The coloring of the cinematography and the music really set the mood, with Colin Firth at the wheels, there was no way this could be a bad film.

Even though it also tends to be one sided in the sexual orientation, I found it to be very relatable and it’s dark humor almost had me piss myself laughing.

I apologize in advance that I did my viewing out of order even though I’m behind on the other two films. Ima watch one of the other two tmrw.

@Allaby

“A Single Man” was a gorgeous film that dealt with suicide, death, mourning and depression through the eyes of George Falconer, played by Colin Firth.

Even though the film dealt with a depressing subject, there was so much beauty and love. The coloring of the cinematography and the music really set the mood, with Colin Firth at the wheels, there was no way this could be a bad film.

Even though it also tends to be one sided in the sexual orientation, I found it to be very relatable and it’s dark humor almost had me piss myself laughing.

Glad you liked it!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
just sent you a link in a comment

Alice's Restaurant (1969)

Arlo: Group W is where they put ya if you may not be moral enough to join the army after committin' your special crime. There was all kinds of mean, nasty ugly-lookin' people on the bench there. There was mother rapers... father stabbers... father rapers... Father rapers! Sittin' right there on the bench next to me!

It had been a yearly tradition at a local Detroit Rock Station to play Arlo Guthrie's song, "Alice's Restaurant" a few times throughout the day on Thanksgiving.
I had always got a laugh out of the song and the story he tells about being arrested for littering and going to get "inspected, injected, neglected and selected" at an Army recruiting center.
Surprisingly, for a comedic sing along, the film itself along with an extension of life during that time for Arlo and friends, there are some tragic scenarios incorporated into it as well. Which at first was a bit jarring, but done rather well, giving a more rounded story of those involved and the life of peace, love and all that hippy jazz they all sought.

Its a meandering story that fits the lifestyle and struggles of those involved. Arlo, a musician by trade actually does a pretty good job as the lead along with the rest of mostly non professional actors except for the two other leads, Alice (Patricia Quinn) and her main man, Ray (James Broderick) who do most of the more dramatic heavier lifting of the story.

While I did thoroughly enjoy this, it didn't quite hit the additional half popcorn to make this a solid 4. Though I am very VERY happy to have watched this.

Got about a third of the way into Ikiru this afternoon before work and it's no surprise how much I am enjoying this so far. Can't wait to get back to it and finish.

@jiraffejustin

What an utterly amazing crime tragedy!!! I love the simple linear timeline Korean film with good dialog and great acting.

It was violent, ****ed up and sexual, with vengeance, vengeance and more vengeance.

I loved it and I don’t know if you knew crime thrillers were my favorite or you just chose it because I have rated Park Chan Wook films high.

Every outlandish thing I hoped would happen, happened and the ending was amazing and brought it full circle.

@edarsenal

Before I review this rating I want you to know, I’ve only given out the rating of 5 stars 7 times and 4.5 stars 61 times, so when I rate a films 5 stars, you know it’s a ****ing masterpiece.

Everything about this film was utter perfection but the aspect that put this film over the top was the personality of the characters. Even though there was a language barrier, every one of their personalities shown through like it was my first language. Their body language, the way they spoke, the humor, even the sexuality and the anger, all hit me in a way, seldom movies do.

I also loved the use of “live” music in the film when it could, especially during the “Rififi” show at the club, I fell in love with Magali Noel during that scene.

Throughout the film, I was smiling ear to ear, it was just a blast watching this film, felt more like an experience than a film. If I ever get the chance I would love to see this film in theaters!

Thank you again for the rec, if it wasn’t blatantly obvious, I thoroughly enjoyed this film! Definitely gonna purchase it on blu ray!

and @Citizen Rules

For You:

Le Deuxième Souffle (1966) A Melville crime noir that I can't remember if you've seen, but definitely need to if you haven't.

Rango (2011) an incredibly well-done animation with some truly excellent world-building that give serious props to a number of old westerns as well as Chinatown. Admittedly, a bit of a long shot, but one I've been tempted to shoot your way in the Personal Rec HoFs because I have a strong suspicion you may truly enjoy it.

A Taste of Honey (1961) If I remember correctly you were intrigued to see this when it was nominated for me in a Personal Rec HoF. So. . .
I damn I forgot I had another movie to watch, making me a slacker I'll watch it soon.

@Citizen Rules

You’re no slacker. I’m the slacker, I’ve been looking forward to the 26th hall of fame and I missed the entry because I was on vacation 😅

As suggested by @BooBooKittyFock, I watched Antwone Fisher (2002). Directed by
Denzel Washington, this film tells the true story of Antwone Fisher (Derek Luke), a troubled navy sailor who is ordered to talk to a psychiatrist (played by Washington) after fighting with a crewman. He eventually opens up about his traumatic childhood and with his psychiatrist's guidance starts to heal from it. Derek Luke is very good here and Washington is in fine form too. I liked the relationship between the two. The screenplay, written by the real Fisher, is well written and tells the story in an effective, albeit somewhat predictable, way. Antwone Fisher is a good, solid drama and I'm glad I got around to seeing it. My rating is a

@edarsenal

Before I review this rating I want you to know, I’ve only given out the rating of 5 stars 7 times and 4.5 stars 61 times, so when I rate a films 5 stars, you know it’s a ****ing masterpiece.

Everything about this film was utter perfection but the aspect that put this film over the top was the personality of the characters. Even though there was a language barrier, every one of their personalities shown through like it was my first language. Their body language, the way they spoke, the humor, even the sexuality and the anger, all hit me in a way, seldom movies do.

I also loved the use of “live” music in the film when it could, especially during the “Rififi” show at the club, I fell in love with Magali Noel during that scene.

Throughout the film, I was smiling ear to ear, it was just a blast watching this film, felt more like an experience than a film. If I ever get the chance I would love to see this film in theaters!

Thank you again for the rec, if it wasn’t blatantly obvious, I thoroughly enjoyed this film! Definitely gonna purchase it on blu ray!
WOW!!!
It IS an amazing film and definitely in the very top echelon of its genre, easily. I have yet to see someone see this and NOT enjoy it and yet I am wonderfully surprised at HOW MUCH you have. THANK YOU! I was exactly the same way on my first watch of this and truly need to see it again. For so many reasons, including the ones you mentioned. Miss Noel was utterly captivating and wonderfully enticing in the show they go to. And fully agree how much their personalities really shined through. I think my favorite of the group, and it's not easy to pick, was Robert Manuel as Mario Ferrati. He was just TOO SMOOTH for words! lol
And I would LOVE to see this in a theater, that would be so f@ckin cool!

I damn I forgot I had another movie to watch, making me a slacker I'll watch it soon.
WELCOME the club, my friend, WELCOME!! LOL
@Citizen Rules

You’re no slacker. I’m the slacker, I’ve been looking forward to the 26th hall of fame and I missed the entry because I was on vacation 😅
Ya still can!!
This is just a reminder that you all have till September 20th to join this Hall of Fame.
People are already watching and reviewing but there is still an open door for anyone still wanting to join in.

Oh, and speaking of us slackers, I finished Ikiru last night. SUCH a wonderful, heartfelt film! I Will attempt to write something up tonight for it.

People are already watching and reviewing but there is still an open door for anyone still wanting to join in.
I'm probably just going to stick with the 26th Hall of Fame, but thanks for the invitation.