Spectre - Mediocre elevated (Spoilers)

→ in
Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Spectre

I found 44 positive and mixed critical reviews featured on metacritic as of today. There are only 4 negative. These are professional critics, something for which I am not. Of course I haven’t read all these reviews and this exercise is not a name and shame. I’m more concerned with sharing my personal opinion regarding this particular film. This particular film, Spectre, in my personal opinion, was overwhelmingly elevated from mediocre to good or above.

What does a film have to do to be good or great? Looking back at the films I regard as great it is not one thing that sets them apart. It’s highly complicated. You can have a great story, great actors and a great director and for some reason it doesn’t work. On the other hand, the story may be limited, yet the visuals, the characters and direction mesh to make something brilliant. I think nothing is certain, yet (without working in the industry) I feel logically the story and script are key to success.

That’s what I want to discuss, this segment will contain spoilers. Films like these are for our entertainment, entertainment is the overriding factor, going through a film with a fine tooth comb regardless of the quality, you are bound to find holes. Believe me, I have leniency regarding minor plot holes and the aberrant behavior of certain characters. I look at the whole product rather than the pieces of it.

This is how Spectre plays out in my mind, having only seen it once and looking at it wholly from this perspective. Bond, on post mortem instruction from M (Judy Dench’s character) finds himself in Mexico at the day of the dead festival with an unknown woman. He walks through the streets in a lovely panning/following shot and then casually leaves the woman, jumping out the window, walking along the building where he sets up his weapon and fires at a target in an adjacent building. He shoots an explosive device, rather than the target, the whole building collapses and somehow the target survives. He follows the target, fights him, fights him in a helicopter killing him and then escapes in a helicopter leaving the unknown woman in her room. This is the best part of Spectre and I didn’t think it was particularly engaging after the building explosion.

Following this he goes to his victims funeral, seduces the victim’s wife who tells him of a secret criminal organization of the highest order that her husband was a member of. He then boldly enters the organization using the ring of the deceased member. He is let in. He is let in using a deceased members ring. His face, his fingerprints, his I.D is not a barrier for Bond who enters this secret meeting that is rarely held. After some exposition surrounding the criminal organization called Spectre, which apparently has links everywhere, he is identified by the main villain (Christopher Waltz) and then escapes by jumping through a glass window. He is pursued by a sub villain on an empty street in a supercar. This car chase is so listless, there is about as much tension as there are others cars. I don’t understand, here was a chance for a major car action sequence, ala Bourne films, Goldeneye tank chase and instead we watch two supercars speeding through empty streets for what felt like 5 minutes with no action. What did they run out of money? They can’t use that excuse, this is one of the most expensive films ever made.

Bond escapes. Follows some leads. A few people die. Everything is very slowly paced and lackluster. Bond teams up with a female doctor. She is the daughter of one of the ex Spectre Member who absconded and ultimately was murdered by Spectre. They find a map to a mysterious location, presumably the headquarters of Spectre. They both travel there. Bond and the doctor. Two people heading to the headquarters of the world’s largest secret criminal organization. They have no plan. Well what happens? They get caught. Bond is tortured and it is revealed Christopher Waltz knew Bond as a child. Apparently Bond lived with him and his father. Waltz became jealous of his father’s attention on Bond and killed his father. So this man has had a personal vendetta against Bond and has been pulling the strings regarding the death of his loved ones from the other Daniel Craig films. Waltz is responsible for all Bonds suffering. After this exposition and this so called character development, which is very hard to swallow mind you, Bond escapes. Yes he does it again. With absolutely no plan, he wings it, throws his watch which is a grenade, shoots a gas line and then escapes in another listless action sequence with big explosions that somehow destroy the headquarters.

Not much else happens, we are still travelling at a slow pace here. At the end, Waltz has somehow managed to capture the female doctor who is now is in love with Bond, without Bond revealing anything emotionally personal about himself the entire film. She must be attracted to the mystery of him. Waltz uses her as a trap, offering Bond a choice. Save her and die or save yourself and let her die. So Bond somehow frees her and they both flee to safety while another building explodes with absolutely no tension of smarts. This genius Waltz, who has orchestrated all the pain and suffering and death in Bonds life, who has a personal vendetta against him since his early childhood, has cocked up another opportunity, as he did by letting Bond escape twice before. Bond then runs him down in a boat and arrests him.

Everyone’s fine and the problem is solved. We now have a re-worked villain in Waltz who is Bonds arch nemeses for the next movie. Was the whole purpose of this movie to set up a villain in the Bond universe. I see the studio executives shaking their heads. Why did everything have to end so clean and tidy. Why does Bond have to forgo any intelligence and planning in his adventure. I thought he was more than a gun for hire with gadgets. Wasn’t he more in the previous Craig films? He was caught twice stupidly, escaped with blind luck and aid from incompetent hence men (aid from an incompetent script), fell in love with without any on screen chemistry or romance and saved the day in a tediously long film. Such a long run time for how little actually happens. Unfortunately Craig’s Bond has had two hits and two misses. Craig himself voiced his displeasure regarding continuing to play Bond. What went wrong, well it is complicated. They had a good director, they had good actors and a great budget. Looking at it, the script is what went wrong initially. Then the execution. I find it hard to believe, with what I’ve detailed, why this film got overwhelmingly positive reviews. Mediocre is not good. It should never be good but with the reviews it got and the money it made who’s challenging this. I think there are people on here that are and that’s a start.

Welcome to the human race...
As much as I am likely to agree that Spectre was an aggressively middling film, I feel like this review spends too much time summarising the movie's events without much in the way of commentary. Even then, I could counter some of the accusations of plot holes (it seems pretty obvious that they let him into the secret meeting on purpose) or even the more contrived parts of the central romance (the only time that Swann says "I love you" to James is while he's in danger of getting his memory destroyed through torture so she's desperately trying to keep him grounded in reality).

As much as I am likely to agree that Spectre was an aggressively middling film, I feel like this review spends too much time summarising the movie's events without much in the way of commentary. Even then, I could counter some of the accusations of plot holes (it seems pretty obvious that they let him into the secret meeting on purpose) or even the more contrived parts of the central romance (the only time that Swann says "I love you" to James is while he's in danger of getting his memory destroyed through torture so she's desperately trying to keep him grounded in reality).

Thank you for your critique of my critique. The purpose of summarizing the film was to draw attention to what I thought was clearly lacking, the story. Detailing it the way I did I thought would convey the overall silliness of the film, yet this may not have hit the mark. I guess reading a review can be as subjective as watching a film. For example, I didn’t think it was obvious they had let Bond into the secret meeting and I didn’t assume she said I love you, only to keep him grounded in reality. But that’s what I enjoy about film. After re-visiting a film or hearing different theories, it can be a different experience. At the moment though, nothing can really change how I feel about Spectre.

Thank you for your critique of my critique. The purpose of summarizing the film was to draw attention to what I thought was clearly lacking, the story. Detailing it the way I did I thought would convey the overall silliness of the film, yet this may not have hit the mark. I guess reading a review can be as subjective as watching a film. For example, I didn’t think it was obvious they had let Bond into the secret meeting and I didn’t assume she said I love you, only to keep him grounded in reality. But that’s what I enjoy about film. After re-visiting a film or hearing different theories, it can be a different experience. At the moment though, nothing can really change how I feel about Spectre.
I can understand that, but it takes more than just recounting the events of the film to make your criticisms of a film understood. Any film could be made to look bad if summarised in a certain way, so it does come down to explaining exactly why a certain development is bad. It's easy to take things that don't immediately make sense and hold them up as plot holes, but some of them do become clearer after the fact or actually thinking it through - this is the case with Bond being allowed into the secret meeting, for instance. The issue then becomes whether or not the story is used to do anything effective, which is where I'd say that Spectre falters. It's possible to understand exactly why a film does everything it does and still not like it, after all.

I can understand that, but it takes more than just recounting the events of the film to make your criticisms of a film understood. Any film could be made to look bad if summarised in a certain way, so it does come down to explaining exactly why a certain development is bad. It's easy to take things that don't immediately make sense and hold them up as plot holes, but some of them do become clearer after the fact or actually thinking it through - this is the case with Bond being allowed into the secret meeting, for instance. The issue then becomes whether or not the story is used to do anything effective, which is where I'd say that Spectre falters. It's possible to understand exactly why a film does everything it does and still not like it, after all.

No I think you can recount events of a film, especially if you’re trying to emphasize those events and thus the failings of the film. Just like you can recount events of a film to a positive effect. Of course your right any film can be made to look bad if summarized in a certain way but any film can be made to look bad regardless of whether a summary is present or not. I think in Spectre, briefly summarizing the story speaks for itself and in my opinion didn’t warrant a detailed explanation as to why the movie fell short. In my opinion, it was the silly story that was the short coming, yet, as I included in the review, it’s a complicated matter with film. Spectre could have had an amazing story and been a poor film for other reasons.

No I think you can recount events of a film, especially if you’re trying to emphasize those events and thus the failings of the film. Just like you can recount events of a film to a positive effect. Of course your right any film can be made to look bad if summarized in a certain way but any film can be made to look bad regardless of whether a summary is present or not. I think in Spectre, briefly summarizing the story speaks for itself and in my opinion didn’t warrant a detailed explanation as to why the movie fell short. In my opinion, it was the silly story that was the short coming, yet, as I included in the review, it’s a complicated matter with film. Spectre could have had an amazing story and been a poor film for other reasons.
Your review is eight paragraphs long and four of them are dedicated to recounting the plot from start to finish. The idea that a movie's bad plot "speaks for itself" is barely evident here save for the occasional moment where you comment on a given plot point - otherwise, what would I or any other reader get out of this review that we wouldn't get out of looking up the plot summary on Wikipedia? At the very least, starting off the review by saying "I think the plot is silly" and expecting a reader to see your side of things as they read over every single plot point is hardly the ideal approach either - if you're going to critique the plot above all else, you can at least make it count by going over its problems in detail rather than just going "so this happens and then that happens". You think the story "didn't warrant a detailed explanation as to why the movie fell short", but isn't that what a (negative) review is supposed to be in the first place? Even when I mentioned plot points in my review, I at least tried to prove some reasoning for why I thought they were worth mentioning in the first place.

I'm not trying to be harsh or anything - these are supposed to be constructive criticisms. Spectre wasn't a great movie, but it wasn't universally hated either - I effectively agree with the idea that the film is mediocre (for reasons that go beyond story-related problems), yet I still found issues with your review, so imagine how someone who liked the film might react to this.

Your review is eight paragraphs long and four of them are dedicated to recounting the plot from start to finish. The idea that a movie's bad plot "speaks for itself" is barely evident here save for the occasional moment where you comment on a given plot point - otherwise, what would I or any other reader get out of this review that we wouldn't get out of looking up the plot summary on Wikipedia? At the very least, starting off the review by saying "I think the plot is silly" and expecting a reader to see your side of things as they read over every single plot point is hardly the ideal approach either - if you're going to critique the plot above all else, you can at least make it count by going over its problems in detail rather than just going "so this happens and then that happens". You think the story "didn't warrant a detailed explanation as to why the movie fell short", but isn't that what a (negative) review is supposed to be in the first place? Even when I mentioned plot points in my review, I at least tried to prove some reasoning for why I thought they were worth mentioning in the first place.

I'm not trying to be harsh or anything - these are supposed to be constructive criticisms. Spectre wasn't a great movie, but it wasn't universally hated either - I effectively agree with the idea that the film is mediocre (for reasons that go beyond story-related problems), yet I still found issues with your review, so imagine how someone who liked the film might react to this.
Sounds like your very concerned with my style of review writing (in this instance). We obviously have different styles, which is absolutely fine. Perhaps it's time to move on.

I understand that this is your style - my suggestions are intended to help you improve on writing within that particular style. The clearest example of this is

Originally Posted by me
if you're going to critique the plot above all else, you can at least make it count by going over its problems in detail rather than just going "so this happens and then that happens"
I guess it comes down to a question of who you're writing reviews for and why. If they're for you and you alone then I suppose there's no real point in telling you to change it one way or another, but if you're putting them up here for the rest of us to read then you should be ready for people to make their own comments. It's not like I haven't taken other people's criticisms into account when shaping my own writing style.

I hated Spectre. You could tell Craig and the director did not want to be there. One of the most boring spy movies ive ever seen.