Great War Movies and Shows

Tools    

Okay so I just finished watching the mini-series Unser Mütter, Unser Väter (2013), and now I'm craving more. Other great movies I would consider along the same line are Stalingrad (1993), and Come and See (1985). It doesn't have to be about WWII, but it shouldn't glamorise war. These movies are great because they make you see the true horror of war, and they show you the evil that lurks inside normal people as well as the moral dilemmas they face. Have you guys seen these three works? What other movies or shows would you consider to follow this vein?

There's a couple of excellent German films about resistance against the Nazis during WW2. Brave people standing up against the regime - The White Rose (1982) and Sophie Scholl (2005) .

Don't know if you'd be interested in The Sorrow and the Pity, but it's an area that's always fascinated me . It's a long documentary film made in the late 60s featuring many interviews with French people about the German occupation. Explores the extent of collaboration, but without judgement which leads you to wonder and perhaps question what if it was your country, what would've happened then?

Then there's Grave of the Fireflies, a devastating film.

The White Rose looks good. I've seen Sophie Scholl, it was pretty good. My favorite resistance film is hands down Army of Shadows.

The Sorrow and the Pity sounds good. I'll have to check it out.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Judgement at Nuremberg
Das Boot
All quiet on the western front
Paths of Glory
The Downfall
Night & Fog

Then you have some good films about the Cold War like Das Leben der Anderen and Fail-Safe.

Oh, and the obvious Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now.

I haven't seen Das Boot yet. I really should get around to it. I haven't seen Au Revoir Des Enfants, but Malle is a director I need to see more of. I've only seen Black Moon, but it was really good.

There's a few others I should probably mention. The Winter War (1989) is about the war between the Soviet Union and Finland (1939-1940). Battle of Neretva is about Partisans fighting against Italians, Germans, and Chetniks. Battle of Neretva (1969) doesn't have much of a story or much character development. It's mostly about the battles, but it's still really well made and quite a unique movie. Hell is for Heroes (1962) stars Steve McQueen and it's in black and white for some strange reason.

I've mentioned Cross of Iron a few times which I think is an excellent anti-war film. Paths of Glory was really good as well.

Even though it's not considered the greatest, I do think A Bridge Too Far is pretty underrated.

Also Patton...even though I think it is kinda guilty of glorifying war, you can't deny that it is very well-done and George C Scott is amazing as Patton.

Edit: Forgot to mention Bridge on the River Kwai and Zulu

Platoon

Oliver stone was IN vietnam, he later wrote and directed this film.
It's unique, I don't think any other war movie was written/directed by a veteran from the actual war.

If you listen to the director commentary you will find out how much was based off his actual experience and the costly mistakes he made in the war.

For Vietnam war movies Hamburger Hill is a great one. Perhpas it doesn't compete with Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, or Apocalypse Now, but it has really great battle scenes and interesting characters. It's much closer to Platoon in that way.

Soldier of Orange is a good movie about spies and the resistance in WWII.

I've been on a war movie binge lately; it's one of my favourite genres. You guys have given me some good suggestions and I've added them to my queue.

Some good miniseries' that I've seen are Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

I've been on a war movie binge lately; it's one of my favourite genres. You guys have given me some good suggestions and I've added them to my queue.

Some good miniseries' that I've seen are Band of Brothers and The Pacific.
Pacific can get confusing.

The Heavy Water War (aka The Sabateurs, Kampen om tungtvannet)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heavy_Water_War

Resistance has just finished showing over here, I think. I missed it, but it might be worth a look.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_(TV_series)

As always I'll recommend The Cruel Sea.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
King & Country is an anti-war film masterpiece everyone's gotta see. I'd put it next to Paths of Glory and All Quiet on the Western Front as the best Great War picture.

Das Boot
All quiet on the western front
Paths of Glory
The Downfall

Letters from Iwo Jima
Enemy At The Gates

We Were Soldiers is really good. Once it gets started it's action the whole way through.