Best Television Pilot Episodes?

Tools    

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I've been rewatching Deadwood and am once again amazed at how stellarly put together the pilot episode is. To set up the characters, relationships, story and tone so well, and get you deeply hooked in 1 hour, is such a brilliant achievement to me.

Does anyone have examples of exceptional pilot episodes for tv programs?

Yeah, it's a very good episode in a vacuum, and when you consider that it has to establish the characters in a short period of time, the degree of difficulty vaults it into the top tier easily.

Finished here. It's been fun.
It's not the best show on TV, but The Walking Dead had a fantastic pilot episode, so good in fact that the proceeding episodes seldom match it's quality.

Twin Peaks,Breaking Bad,Game of Thrones,Firefly, and of course Mad Men have exceptional pilots as well.

Breaking Bad is definitely up there. How do you stop watching after an opening like that?

I believe the first episode of The Office (US) was pretty good, but it's been a while.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Not strictly a pilot episode, but a made for tv movie that was then made into a series:

The Night Stalker

Welcome to the human race...
Babylon 5's pilot is pretty good.
I take it you're referring to the Beginning TV movie.