Watchmen

Tools    

Alan Moore is the best writer of anything ever, and i just hope the movies doesn't mess up The Watchmen like it did to the Hulk, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Superman and plenty of other sh!ty comic book movies.

BOW BEFORE THE MIGHT OF MY DANCING KIRBY!

I'm just gona toss this out there. One movie for every character.

Now i sit back,,,,

and watch.

In the Beginning...
I'm just gona toss this out there. One movie for every character.
No. It's an ensemble piece, which means that the characters are designed to operate together. Each character signifies a different certain political and ideological perspective on a line, so there's no conflict or complexity if you single them out and only focus on one at a time. And what would be the point anyway? Watchmen is such a fantastic story, it would be a waste to chop it up and not get the whole thing in the way it was intended (and really excels).

In the book they had a seperate chapter for every hero, with their origin and perspective. That didn't mean the characters never saw each other it just meant there was focus. Think of it like Crash or better yet The Sembia Seven books.

One movie could do it but i agree it couldn't do it perfectly.

In the Beginning...
In the book they had a seperate chapter for every hero, with their origin and perspective.
Not true; only Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan got their own exclusive chapters.

Originally Posted by thebest
That didn't mean the characters never saw each other it just meant there was focus. Think of it like Crash or better yet The Sembia Seven books.
I'm not sure I understand your idea here, but if you mean to say that we should see the characters "behind-the-scenes," so to speak, between the actual scenes in the book as written by Alan Moore, then I wholeheartedly disagree. Moore went to quite a bit of length revealing only what he felt was important through scenes only which he considered necessary.

These characters aren't meant to be interpreted in any "real" sense - we're not supposed to be interested in their day-to-day. They are only meant to be viewed as Moore wished for us to view them. Because in the end, it's not the characters that are most important, it's the very specific story to which they ultimately contribute.

In an alternate 1985 America, costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed-up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity...but who is watching the watchmen?

That's just the pitch I got also found casting news:
Logline:
After a law is past to thwart the efforts of group of crime fighters, one of them is mysteriously murdered.

Genres:
Action/Adventure, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Thriller, Crime/Gangster and Adaptation

Release Date:
March 6th, 2009 (wide)

Distributors:
Warner Bros. Pictures

Production Co.:
Lawrence Gordon Productions

Studios:
Warner Bros. Pictures

Filming Locations:
Vancouver, Canada

Produced in:
United States

Patrick Wilson
Nite-Owl
Jackie Earle Haley
Walter Kovacs/Rorschach
Matthew Goode
Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias
Billy Crudup
Dr. Manhattan
Jeffrey Dean Morgan
Comedian
Malin Akerman
Laurie Juspeczyk/Silk Spectre
Carla Gugino
Sally Jupiter

Can't wait!

According to those pictures, some of the secondary characters might appear in the movie. As much as I like Watchmen, I think it would be a mistake to try and include some of the parts which are less important for the main story. Main problem is the structure of the comic: despite its cinematic look, it feels much more like a novel than a drama. Many secondary characters and subplots worked beautifully in the comic, as they would in a book, but they could never work in a movie. The movie would feel kind of like The Human Stain: too many different subplots and ideas jumbled up in a single movie. On the other hand, knowing Zach Snyder is directing it (I’d have preferred Gilliam or Greengrass), my guess is, it’s going to be a by-the-numbers superhero movie, with a lot of gore.

That said, I’m really looking forward to this one. If nothing, at least some of my favorite superheroes will finally have an on-screen appearance, and if it’s true the events will take place in the eighties, moviemakers might actually be trying hard to get the atmosphere of the comic book right.

In the Beginning...
According to those pictures, some of the secondary characters might appear in the movie. As much as I like Watchmen, I think it would be a mistake to try and include some of the parts which are less important for the main story.
I'm hoping the pictures are just indications of Snyder and crew trying to get the look and feel of Watchmen right, complete with familiar sights and settings. He put a lot of energy into getting 300 to look like the graphic novel, so it's conceivable that he's just as motivated on this. I agree, much of the newsstand stuff should be omitted, as well as the "shipwrecked man" subplot altogether. Let's hope it has been.

Zach Snyder is directing it (I’d have preferred Gilliam or Greengrass), my guess is, it’s going to be a by-the-numbers superhero movie, with a lot of gore.
I'm apprehensive about Snyder directing, but if he's as big a fan of Watchmen as he says he is, he'll recognize the need for substance over sensation, and everything will be fine. I would have preferred Greengrass also, but at the time when he was slated to direct, the buzz was that he was updating the story to modern times and putting a "terrorism" slant on it, which would have had me picketing his home in London.

A system of cells interlinked
The film has already been cast, and Jackie Earle Haley is playing Rorschach.

According to IMDB, anyway.

After seeing his turn recently in Little Children, my hopes for this film have gone up slightly.

Gilliam wanted to cast Robin Williams. I'm probably misquoting, but I think Arthur Clarke said: "Reality is much more terrifying than anything we can imagine."

And Billy Crudup as Doc Manhattan, it seems. He put in a good turn in Charlotte Grey but I wonder if he can muster the sort of cool gravitas the role requires.

It's quite nice to see they've gone with relative unknowns, seeing as Watchmen's the sort of story that relies on characters being archetypes rather than people.

That said, I think Tom Selleck would've been great as the Comedian. Especially if they showed it in a double-bill with Three Men and a Baby.

In the Beginning...
That said, I think Tom Selleck would've been great as the Comedian.
My pick would have been Powers Boothe.

And I know the only reason why Robert Redford was not cast as Ozymandias is because he plans to fall off the face of the planet until shooting is complete.

In the Beginning...
Alan Moore on whether or not he's following the progress of the current Watchmen film adaptation, from a Q & A with Wizard Universe:

No. I spoke to Dave [Gibbons] the other day. I got a piece of paper—they must’ve learned something from the “V for Vendetta” debacle. I got a piece of paper a couple of months ago saying, “I, the undersigned, hereby give you permission to take my name off of the film and to send my money to Dave Gibbons.” So I sent that back to them all signed and sealed, which means that now I don’t have to rant and spew about the film. I’m just simply not interested in it. Dave phoned me up, and it’s always nice to talk to Dave, but he understands that I’m not really interested in “Watchmen.” So when he phoned, he asked me if I was interested in being kept up to date on it, and I was saying, “Well, it’s always nice to talk to you, but not really.” I don’t really know much about it. I believe that it’s going ahead. I won’t be watching it, obviously. I can at least remain neutral to it as long as they’re taking my name off of it and not playing these silly, ultimately futile games like they were doing last time, which worked out so well for them. No, I’m keeping well away from all of that.
Although I rather think his attitude toward filmmakers touching his work is a little childish -- how can you refuse to watch any progress whatsoever, let alone the film, and then condemn it all as garbage? -- I can sympathize with him over the treatment that Joel Silver afforded him on V for Vendetta. The man outright lied about Mr. Moore's involvement with the picture just to generate pre-release fanboy interest. Shame on him for making Hollywood look like a blood-sucking windigo that just wants to drain comic book properties dry for the sake of cashing in.

Specialty Films Cinema
I don't know much about this movie but I love the tagline, "Who is watching the watchmen?"

I've loved Zack Snyders movies so far, I hope this one is no exception.