The Dark Knight Rises

Tools    

Okay I think Nolan will be back because of the ending it just won't be a batman movie anymore it'll be a batman and robin movie series this time

I completely disagree I thought the Dark Knight drug on forever towards the end there and it was like is this going to end yet is the showdown going to happen and it just went on and on this was more well balanced I liked the way he went with the story showing the more human side of batman and I thought the story fit well together in every way

WARNING: "batspoils" spoilers below
I don't think he will direct another Batman movie, he might be a producer.
Also, he did say there will never be a Robin in this & just cos a guy had the name "Robin" doesn't make him a Robin.

& also it was quite obvious that Blake suceeded Bruce & not become his sidekick. I kind of like that concept in the film, it's sort of like The Phantom.

I am sure you don't expect Bruce to keep red & green tights in the cave for Blake, obviously now that the Batsignal is fixed & Bruce is presumed dead & on a vacation & Selina Kyle has her record wiped clean, Blake is expected to take over..

I 100% agree with you the Dark Knight dragged at the end and yes had great lines but all came from the same person, the joker. he was the only developed character in the movie

The thing that separates TDK from TDKR is that TDK has an excellent script. Near perfection. Not so much with the TDKR.

Don't give the prick the satisfaction.
I 100% agree with you the Dark Knight dragged at the end and yes had great lines but all came from the same person, the joker. he was the only developed character in the movie
Ledger was a really big part of TDK, i'll admit, but there are other characters in the movie that make it exciting too.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Really? You mean the world's greatest detective isn't allowed to have the foresight of an escape plan when he is the most wanted man in the city? But you accepted the Joker's ridiculous plan in TDK? Do you often forget where you parked your Bat-wing when you go out for the night?

This is exactly the kind of trivial nit-picking that is driving me nuts about this film.

Why? This was my point all along. It's right on par with the previous two films. Unfortunately it lacked a performance like the one Heath Ledger gave in The Dark Knight. People are so wrapped up in the pencil tricks and chaotic nature of that character that they allow the faults of the movie to slip by. This film comes along and is just as solid a film but we don't have that masterful performance to latch onto so the film gets unfair treatment.

Bruce had a very defined enemy in the first two films; organized crime and rampant corruption. That was gone and there was no need for Batman to run around catching drug dealers and gang bangers. Those were never the real threat to Gotham.

What, specifically, was poorly written about the film?

Again, The Dark Knight had the line "Have a nice trip, see you next fall" in it. I don't think any of Nolan's films have truly great dialog (just look at the exposition fest of Inception), but it's the way he constructs his narratives combined with amazing technical skills that makes him such an accomplished director.

Blake did have a great journey in the film. But it also begs the question of "will he become like Bruce Wayne and take the obsession too far?"
Why do you always come back with a poor reason as to why things were done like that, batman was chasing the motorbikes down he got cornered into that alley because there was police coming from both directions. He had no idea that was were he would end up.

Cinematography= movie delivers.
Action - Delivers.
Story line / Character Development = DOES NOT DELIVER.

I genuinely feel like with the bar set SO HIGH after tdk, it simply cannot be surpassed.

Why do you always come back with a poor reason as to why things were done like that, batman was chasing the motorbikes down he got cornered into that alley because there was police coming from both directions. He had no idea that was were he would end up.
An honest advice would be to stop seeking these answers.
There are many things that make me scratch my head, for eg:- how did the motorbikes end up inside the Stock Exchange? Underground parking?
or maybe they took the motorbikes after they hijacked the place..

I am sure there is some logic.. but it's best not to wreck brains over it.
After showing such an intense heist in TDK, they had to show stuff like these here.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
An honest advice would be to stop seeking these answers.
There are many things that make me scratch my head, for eg:- how did the motorbikes end up inside the Stock Exchange? Underground parking?
or maybe they took the motorbikes after they hijacked the place..

I am sure there is some logic.. but it's best not to wreck brains over it.
After showing such an intense heist in TDK, they had to show stuff like these here.
I know there are loads of things to wreck brains over, just disappointed that's all I was waiting so long for this.

Ok, so i've not had time to read through the entire so these are my thoughts independent of it.

I don't know how I can separate the film from my (limited) knowledge of the comics and how unbiased I can, or even if I should be but i'm stick a rating of
for time being and certainly not afraid to tell Nolan if his **** stinks.

I was apprehensive about Bane but he actually turned out to be a highlight, the voice in particular was distinctive and pretty cool. Still maintain his costumes were a bit poor though but let's ignore trivial complaints. Anyway, for the most part he was a strong villain, I LOVED the breaking the bat scene and it's inclusion and was giddy when it happened. However Bane quickly went downhill when he turned out to fill exactly the same role as Bane in Batman & Robin- a hired muscle for the woman pulling the strings. The attempt at making him a sympathetic character was effective in a way but also undermined his menace throughout the preceding events, likewise, once they shifted sympathy towards him, he went out like a chump without even a closing shot. Much like all the prior deaths the camera was too afraid to show. The biggest issue with Bane was his motivation, he may not have the most logical motivation in comics but it was defined. A lot of his plan seemed to be Nolan shoehorning a social message about Occupy Wall Street etc, which is fine but for another movie. It didn't show Bane's intellect, uncovering Batman's identity, which would have been a far more effective scene nor did he actually have any super strength. The painkillers maybe an 'realistic' equivalent to Venom giving superhuman strength but as realistic as it is, it's hardly a tactical choice for such a physical brawler. In the end, it seems a lot of what he did in the build up to everything was moot as all he needed a was a nuke, which could have been obtained in a far simpler manner imagine without being initially hired to cripple financial operations of Wayne Enterprises.

It's odd they seem to try and make it realistic in some aspects but then have The Bat. What a cartoon device, Fox never happened to mention it before and it conveniently serves to resolve the final problem which was left feeling like a James Bond comically in the nick of time moment. The narrative itself, while it unwound in an engaging manner that didn't really cause me to groan/face palm/eye roll in it's duration did have a distinct lack of cohesion between scenes. They didn't naturally segue and seemed like snippets of pertinent bits from a larger film (or two). The whole prison well scene was the biggest offender for me. I'm not saying I wanted to see Bruce to go buy a ticket, jump a plan, twiddle his thumbs before arriving but I would be curious to know how in that short of space of time- his back mended, he became strong enough to defeat Bane, with no money was able to get a plane and was able to get into Gotham despite being closed off. Plot holes galore, some minor, some major but they're there and while didn't detract from the enjoyment it's hard to reconcile them in retrospect. Plus Gotham itself, it should have more personality, Begins nailed it. Made it dark, atmospheric, creepy like Burton's films but different. Last two, it's a generic city, which is a shame in my opinion.

As I touched on just there, Bruce emerging from the prison which was at the same time obviously evocative of the cave from his youth but didn't quite show how he'd developed to a point to defeat Bane. Batman/Bruce just seem to be going through the motions without really developing. Batman doesn't fight crime to stop criminals, he fights it because of the darkness in himself. He's a far more complex character than the films give him credit for. Catwoman too, never really develops, despite enjoying her inclusion, I never saw the reason Batman would trust her moral compass. Wanting a clean slate doesn't imply she wants a clean start. Juno Temple's character, served no purpose in explaining Catwoman or even giving her Robin Hood ethos more justification, seemed lazy or over ambitious reference to Year One. If that was an over ambitious squeezing in source material, John Blake: The Only Gotham Detective and his 'real' name was definitely lazy. Nolan's adamant statements this his last film kind of spoil any future hope plus the fact Robin's name isn't Robin! Of the pantheon of sidekicks/replacements, if Nolan wanted some fan service, he should have used one of them instead of going for a painful reference.

Geekdom aside, I enjoyed the **** out of the fact JGL was/becomes who he's implied. Like Tate being Talia, it was long suspected but both were held off longer enough in the film to be surprise so had massive grin for much of the epilogue. Well despite the Sherlock 'twist' which I thought showed a complete lack of conviction from Nolan as the pieces were in place for that to be a fantastic send off, instead it was a cheat to get an emotional reaction without any particular purpose. There were a lot other fantastic moments that did happen; Michael Caine, Pfister and Zimmer i'm calling now as Oscar nominations because they did some great work that stood above a shaky script. Overall, that's what it's come down too. As much as I can overblow plot holes, MacGuffins, lapses in logic, undeveloped characters, police charging head first, a generally anti-climatic final battle and inherent themes missed- they were all still issues that prevented this being the film it could have been. Or even films they could have. It's a shame but at least it wasn't as bad as Prometheus and something i'm definitely eager to see again.

Action - Delivers.

I genuinely feel like with the bar set SO HIGH after tdk, it simply cannot be surpassed.
I thought the character development was done very well and Nolan did a great job of defining the lives and roles of his characters and the story line very good.

Action - Delivers.

I wont review it, But all I can say is that I was disappointed.
Everything was highly predictable.

Joseph Gordon Lewitt stole the show, He was excellent & I found his role very well written.
& he was the only unpredictable element in the film.

Inspite of all that, last 15-20 minutes were satisfying. A pretty decent ending for a trilogy. But the overall plot was weak.

Hathaway had a damn good role, but how she fit into the whole plot was rather weak.

& once again the character of Bruce Wayne was weak, I mean him giving up & taking up the mantle of Batman doesn't seem convincing enough..

Bane fit well into Nolan's Batverse, but his look wasn't all that satisfying. It made him look silly most of the time.

The action scenes & chases were weak, especially when compared to the first 2 films.

But once again, inspite of finding the overall film not all that great, the ending was satisfying.
That's all folks.
Okay I think Nolan will be back because of the ending it just won't be a batman movie anymore it'll be a batman and robin movie series this time

I completely disagree though I thought the Dark Knight drug on forever towards the end there and it was like is this going to end yet is the showdown going to happen and it just went on and on this was more well balanced I liked the way he went with the story showing the more human side of batman and I thought the story fit well together in every way

I completely disagree though I thought the Dark Knight drug on forever towards the end there and it was like is this going to end yet is the showdown going to happen and it just went on and on this was more well balanced I liked the way he went with the story showing the more human side of batman and I thought the story fit well together in every way
I think most read it the last time you posted it... you didn't have to copy paste it..

I completely disagree I thought the Dark Knight drug on forever towards the end there and it was like is this going to end yet is the showdown going to happen and it just went on and on this was more well balanced I liked the way he went with the story showing the more human side of batman and I thought the story fit well together in every way
& I am sure you're going to negative rep me for this, like you did to half of my posts in this thread, just to let you know, no offense taken.

& about your Batman & Robin idea, that will never happen under Nolan's name. I repeat Never! Unless he is foolish to eat back his words about how RObin would never belong in his movies.
& once again, Blake having his name as Robin, doesn't mean he is Robin.
Nolan clearly showed Blake taking over the mantle of Batman.

Now, if Nolan does decide to take up the movies again, than he might complete the Knightfall saga, with Blake taking the place of Azrael as Batman.. so what happens when Bruce is away holidaying, Blake goes crazy & violent, So Bruce has to return to kick his butt back to whatever foster home he came from.
But Nolan hardly showed Blake as being that sort of guy, so that's not going to happen either.
But there still might be a Batman & Blake movie.

Ha, well, wouldn't call it review but that blow by blow synopsis is pretty acute summary
Have you read the comments?
These are bits of a long post from a guy called dso, defending the movie.

there's so many good things in the movie but some ppl only want to feel miserable which sucks for them.

looking at the tree, not seeing the forest.

some ppl are proud of being anal.

that being said the hate is acceptable, but it's a sign of weakness of the spirit which is not meant as an insult, but it's sad you couldn't enjoy...
very christian message in the movies. even though i'm godless i still very much enjoyred.

Looking at all these reviews, I want to say one thing.
The people that were dissapointed in my opinion probably raised their expectations too high, in thinking that this will top The Dark Knight no problem and Nolan is the master of cinema etc etc. And when they came out dissapointed, they jump on the nit pick bandwagon and rant and rave at how bad it is.
"How did he get The Bat in the alleyway ?" "How did Bruce get back to Gotham so quick ?" "How did Bruce spread the oil all over the bridge?" Etc Etc

Do you really need to know how he does these things ? Yes its a realistic world, but its still a film at the end of the day. The story worked and you believed the characters and rooted for them through the film (Well I did anyway) and it kept within the same style and tone of the two other films.

I sometimes really hate this new film audience who tend to want everything realistic or everything explained in a good realistic manner and if not then the whole film is hated and crap and makes no sense because of one thing.

I loved The Dark Knight Rises and I couldn't give a rats ass if people get riled up about it or not. I sometimes wish that we could go back to dumb Summer Blockbusters because in many ways, they were easier and less of a hassle to watch.

The reason why people are "nitpicking" because Nolan is supposed to be the intelligent blockbuster filmmaker...
& the summer Blockbusters which you refer to lately have got really dumber...
Just like how Pyro mentioned how disappointing Prometheus was..
But even then, this movie is good compared to those blockbusters, but that shouldn't stop people from criticising its flaws, now if everyone loved the film & praised it, it would have had a 10 point rating on IMDB instead of 9.3.

Have any of you'll read the reviews of this film, they make it look like this movie will win the oscar for best film. & that this is a work of art. which I disagree with.

I think it's really foolish when people blame others disappointment cos of expectations from the previous films.
When clearly people have been stating reasons for their disappointments.

Whenever I have been telling people I found DKR disappointing, they either tell me it's cos I had more expectation cos of the previous film or maybe I am an fan of the Avengers film.. I dismiss both claims.
I found Avengers disappointing as well & criticised it for ripping off plot ideas from Transformers.