The Dark Knight Rises

Tools    

I haven't seen it yet, but I have a question. A spoiler revealing question, maybe. Do they mention The Joker in the movie at all?

UPDATE: I know. Thanks, wintertriangles.

I felt this immensely yet I cannot tell what it is quite yet.
They toy with the Occupy Wall Street movement and class conflicts a bit in the film. I don't know if that's what you're talking about, but relegating a topic that is still quite fresh in our minds to a simple montage sequence felt a bit cheap. Especially with the ominous speech given by Catwoman earlier in the film.

Of course, the actual OWS movement feels like a cheap montage in real life as well...

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
It's a lot darker than the other two
Seriously? I didn't think that would be possible. The main reason I'm not a massive fan of The Dark Knight is that I found it just so bleak and depressing. So if this is darker still then I don't fancy my chances of loving it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Just got back.

I thought it was very good. Better than The Dark Knight ? No but still bloody good film and joint best film of the year for me.

I think people have set their standards too high and thought it could beat The Dark Knight. Sorry guys. Still great flick though. Might see it again with my Dad.
My thoughts exactly.

Just got home from seeing it. Virtually stayed away from the forum and the internet this week to avoid possible spoilers.

I feel that it is impossible to truly rate a film having just seen it. It needs time to simmer and churn in my brain, then I will watch it again, and again when it comes to DVD and make my mind up.

Generally though I'm getting that "it's epic great film, but not as good as Begins and TDK".

My excitement for the film was virtually at fever pitch so it was never going to match up to my expectation.

Perhaps even the great Nolan has struggled with the final hurdle of ending a trilogy.

WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
I felt the best action sequence was when Batman reappears again and finds the whole of Gotham PD breathing down his neck. Batman + Batpod = awesome.

I didn't really like the idea of "The Bat". Nolan has kept it real unlike the previos hi tech Batman films with fighter jets and bat boats. The Tumbler and the Batpod were superb, but "the Bat" just feels like cheating, although I suppose it was integral to the plot at the end.

Bane's voice, I actually though it was better in the prologue I saw months ago, seem s a little cartoony and silly at times, and there was a couple of occasions where I'm not really sure what he was saying. Also like "the Bat" Bane seems like a bit of a throwback to the earlier Batman flicks, not a believable villain like Scarecrow, The Joker or Raz Al Ghul, gritty and believable. Nolan's films have afterall been realistic.

At the very end might have been better if we just saw Alfred look up and have a surprised satisfied look on his face than actually see Wayne and Kyle. Also not really sure why Alfred disappeared for the second half of the film or where he went etc.

Maybe they tried to go too epic with this one. Too much to do and introduce, too little time.

I'm sure I ve got more to say but it's late and I'm in work in 7 hours.

No real big spoilers
The Dark Knight Rises: ***

Batman is a hell of a super hero. No super powers. Just strength, wits and some cool gadgets. I have seen every single Batman movie. I have different versions of this character. I have seen different directors different takes. None more different than Christoper Nolan's take on Gotham's greatest hero.

We are introduced to Bane (Tom Hardy) In a very interesting way. The scene is action filled and sets the tone for what kind of villain Bane is. Meanwhile Meanwhile we see Harvey Dent's funeral. James Gordon (Gary Oldman) wants to say what really happened. But he feels it isn't time.

Batman (Christian Bale) has been gone for eight years has the movie starts. We all know he took the fall for Harvey Dent's death. This also means that Bruce Wayne has been living in solitude for years too. The city sees the Dark Knight more as a villain rather than the hero he really is. He feels as if the city doesn't need him anymore.

He gets a visit from a lady named Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway). She is wearing something that belongs to him that she stole. She isn't just Selina Kyle. She is Catwoman.

There is a a new officer on the force too. John Blake (Joesph Gordon Levitt). He seems strangely intrigued by the Batman. He ends up revealing his past later and a connection to Batman. Blake and everyone thinks Gotham is okay. But Gordon knows it isn't. He just doesn't know what is brewing.

Bane has a plan. A plan that could leaves the whole city of Gotham in ruins. Bane is just an average villain. He isn't terrorizing. But he is tough and complex And Tom Hardy did his hardest to show that. We don't really know at first why Bane is doing what he is doing. Or what makes him tick. Bane also gets just as much screen time as Batman does.

Joesph Gordon Levitt really stood out in this film. He stole every scene he was in. Michael Caine as Alfred was great despite limited screen time. And Morgan Freeman as the genius inventor Lucius Fox delivered.

With all this the first half of the film is a chore. You see these characters all go into different directions. But the second half makes it worth the while. But I do wonder where Bane imprisons Batman.

This like the other Nolan Batman films are dark and heavy. Maybe more so. It goes full steam ahead on what a superhero movie is. It is inspiring and admirable that Nolan is able to combine anarchy, total destruction and a new Batman flying device all together and no 3D gimmick. The movie could have benefited from being more straightforward and also a better villain. But as finales go it is a proper send off to one of my favorite superheros.

Just got back after thoroughly enjoying this and am sort of surprised that more didn't like it as much as me. Ah well. Looks like Sexy gets his wish and will have plenty of folks to join the hater parade.

Inb4 Sexy tells me he's not a hater. Ha!

Loved the flick and agree that It's as good as TDK. Really, really excellent story. Not getting those complaints, at all. But yeah, what can I say? I'm not gonna try to argue with too many of you that didn't love it. What's the point?

Don't give the prick the satisfaction.
I'd like to start off and say that I enjoyed this movie. I know several people may have found some flaws with it. However, ever since the old Batman (with Jack Nicholson playing The Joker) came out, none of the Batman movies have been able to touch the original, except this movie.

There is something for everyone in this movie. Drama, action, even romance. This movie was well worth the four years it took to come out.

The action scenes in this movie were great. Bane vs Bats (round 1) kept me at the edge of my seat, the second half, me and the audience were cheering for Batman entirely. Let's not forget about Catwoman as well, she might of not had as much spotlight as Bane or Batman, but it was enough to really stand out in this movie, besides her general role as Selena. I felt that the plot had many twists and several aspects of the movie I didn't see coming, and when it happened I was really surprised, to say the least.

This movie is 2h 45 min for a reason, it takes that long to deliver the message.

The thing I hated the most ...

WARNING: "batmin" spoilers below
Everything about the bomb is just a plot-hole generator. The scientist turns it into a bomb in like 5 seconds, Batman comes in at the last second (keep in mind he has to travel from some desert on the other side of the world with no money, and also get into Gotham which has been shut off from the rest of the world) and somehow drives it way out into the ocean (without dying), they have it ready to detonate for 5 months and don't ever actually follow through. They also explain how it can just be flooded, so why doesn't he just drop it in the ocean right away ?

Batman also takes the time to make a giant flaming Bat signal, with only hours left before the bomb blows up. Bane knows where Fox's secret liar is somehow. Alfred knows Bane's backstory somehow. John Blake finds Gordan, right after Banes henchman explained how impossible it would be to find him.

WARNING: "The Dark Knight Rises" spoilers below
Bale did a decent job with a really poor script.
Hathaway was the surprise show stealer <- actually loved her in this.
Points for The Scarecrow as the judge - thought that was actually a nice detail.

Leather-Boy should be sued for his piss-poor performance - what a joke as a villain. He was about as menacing as a 2 year old having a temper tantrum.

I know there was some kind of political point buried in there but it was so muddled in nonsense and irrelevant scenes that I couldn't really pick it up.

Oldman is a great actor but this movie was so bad it made a great character actor look like an over-stressed drama queen.

Speaking of which, lots of pretty boys crowding the screen who added absolutly nothing to the story. Modine got his close-up death pic complete with perfectly clean uniform and pretty white gloves.

They should have ended the franchise at 2.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I feel I was perhaps slightly overcritical in my earlier post.

Epic finale to an Epic trilogy/story.

9.5/10

The thing I hated the most ...

WARNING: "batmin" spoilers below
Everything about the bomb is just a plot-hole generator. The scientist turns it into a bomb in like 5 seconds, Batman comes in at the last second (keep in mind he has to travel from some desert on the other side of the world with no money, and also get into Gotham which has been shut off from the rest of the world) and somehow drives it way out into the ocean (without dying), they have it ready to detonate for 5 months and don't ever actually follow through. They also explain how it can just be flooded, so why doesn't he just drop it in the ocean right away ?

Batman also takes the time to make a giant flaming Bat signal, with only hours left before the bomb blows up. Bane knows where Fox's secret liar is somehow. Alfred knows Bane's backstory somehow. John Blake finds Gordan, right after Banes henchman explained how impossible it would be to find him.
Every one of your criticisms could be applied to The Dark Knight and yet, that film is universally praised while this one is getting the short end of the stick.

The Dark Knight Rises is no worse than The Dark Knight. And I loved them both equally.

The plot issues with TDK are significantly smaller and easier to fill in on our own. They're mainly "how could so and so be SURE this would happen?" as opposed to "this couldn't happen" or "this made no sense."

There's also some leeway when you bend likelihoods in order to do something really cool, as opposed to bending likelihoods (or breaking them outright) to do something pretty pedestrian. IE: I'll forigve The Matrix asking me to think you can die in real life by dying in a computer program, because it makes the entire movie possible. Plot conceits of that nature are inherent to most high concept movies, and tolerating them is pretty different than tolerating ones that could've been avoided.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Well just come back and first thought's are meh.

Plot spoilers below (mild)

Thing's I hated.

- Bane came across abit lame towards the end, scary and he really stole the show at the start but towards the end seemed to go down hill.

- Bane takes the time out of taking over his city to take Wayne across the world to a prison, Wayne then returns later on but were not shown how exactly he managers to do so with no money and he's in a dessert. Also batman has enough time to make a bat signal and have a bloody shave while his city is getting terrorised.

- The movie seemed all over the place at times and I don't think Nolan had his heart in this movie like he did with the others.

- this movie came across abit over the top compared to the other movies.

- the story was very weak and seemed like Nolan tried to hard to link it to the other movies.

Things I liked.

- The Ending was put together nicely.

- Joseph Gordan Levitt stole the show without a doubt.

- loved How hardy used his body language with bane even if the voice was abit crappy.

- bale was great again as Wayne.

Quick thought about the one thing a couple of people have mentioned...

It's fair to ask why he took the time to rig up the bat signal. This is where the thing I said about not quite capitalizing on some of the themes really becomes important. It seemed rational that this film would be about Gotham taking its own city back. That's been Batman's goal the entire time--to inspire the people of Gotham to do that. And it's exactly what The Joker said they wouldn't do. Everything in this movie set this up perfectly...and then they just sort of didn't do it. The police do it, and Batman helps, and that's it. It's really confusing.

If they had done this...if it'd been the city as a whole rising up, then suddenly taking the time to rig up the signal makes sense. It inspires people, just like Batman himself. It gives them hope and encourages them to take their city back.

This is one of a few examples of the movie coming very close to some really awesome full-circle thematic stuff that it did all the hard grunt work of setting up, but then decided not to finish. I'm genuinely confused by it.

Quick thought about the one thing a couple of people have mentioned...

It's fair to ask why he took the time to rig up the bat signal. This is where the thing I said about not quite capitalizing on some of the themes really becomes important. It seemed rational that this film would be about Gotham taking its own city back. That's been Batman's goal the entire time--to inspire the people of Gotham to do that. And it's exactly what The Joker said they wouldn't do. Everything in this movie set this up perfectly...and then they just sort of didn't do it. The police do it, and Batman helps, and that's it. It's really confusing.

If they had done this...if it'd been the city as a whole rising up, then suddenly taking the time to rig up the signal makes sense. It inspires people, just like Batman himself. It gives them hope and encourages them to take their city back.

This is one of a few examples of the movie coming very close to some really awesome full-circle thematic stuff that it did all the hard grunt work of setting up, but then decided not to finish. I'm genuinely confused by it.
Interesting! never actually paid attention to this. But makes sense..

WARNING: "Bat Spoiler" spoilers below
Anybody found it silly how easy it was for Wayne to hang up the cape & return to it..
After the events that ended TDK, one would expect Batman to live up to for what Dent worked so hard to achieve before becoming Two-face, his motive seemed that this city wouldn't just have more creations of guys like Two-face, atleast not under his watch..

One thing about Batman that everyone loves is that he never gives up on fighting evil, I mean c'mon! his greatest motive has always been revenge for his parents, & this movie makes it so easy for him to give up the responsibility for 8 years?

& for 8 years he trusts the cops to do his job? doesn't he hate them & aren't they supposed to be all corrupt & how much good can one commissioner to do the city....

Alfred's change in behaviour seemed more like a detail just to please the ending..

I agree with meat above who said the bomb seemed like a plot generator.

I found this movie more like a James Bond film, The opening scene was exactly like a James Bond film, then you have 2 love interests, one who seems Bad-Ass & possibly a threat & the other a nice doll, who ends up being the traitor.
Maybe Nolan was in the James Bond zone after he kept referring to his previous movie (Inception) like a James Bond film

@Yoda concerning the Bat symbol criticism. No duh. Everyone is complaining about hwo he shouldn't have had time to rig up the symbol. So what? It's called movie time and it doesn't exist on our time. It winspire the people of Gotham. Accept it. It's not a valid criticism of the film.

Concerning his 8-year absence. Crime was essentially gone from Gotham. He wasn't needed. In case you all weren't paying attention, Wayne is pretty depressed at the beginning of the film because he has nothing to do.

I've never seen so many nit-picky criticisms for a film. The truth is, most of you wanted this to live up to an idea that was bigger in your heads than it ever could hope to be. The film was a very good ending for a very good series.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Bane (3:23):

I'm watching this again tomorrow (TDKR, not The Lion King), because since the euphoria I felt after seeing it in Imax wore off I've found myself being more and more critical of it the more I think about it.

Right now my gut feeling is that this film feels like it was the result of an obliged filmmaker rather than an enthusiastic one, and I really really hope I change my mind tomorrow.

I wish I could be more enthusiastic about it, but there were so many moments that just didn't feel acceptable. The twist at the end for instance makes sense to me, I understand why it happens and it doesn't feel like it was thrown in like a spanner in the works, but the character in question isn't established enough and instead of causing a heart wrenching betrayal, it just undermines the other characters present and feels like a ticked box.

It's still a very good film, but of the 5 Nolan films I've now seen this was the least interesting.

@Yoda concerning the Bat symbol criticism. No duh. Everyone is complaining about hwo he shouldn't have had time to rig up the symbol. So what? It's called movie time and it doesn't exist on our time. It winspire the people of Gotham. Accept it. It's not a valid criticism of the film.
Of course it's a valid criticism. "Movie time" is acceptable sometimes, but not when the plot is specifically about how little time they have. You can skip over lots of stuff, but if you establish that they have X number of hours to do something, they probably shouldn't start playing ping pong, ya' know?

And to be clear, the complaint isn't that he didn't HAVE time. It's that he wouldn't waste time doing it. And narratively speaking (and I sure hope we can still critique the narrative, at least), it seems strange to have him do it, but then not have it lead to the people of Gotham actually taking the city back. That's such a natural, perfect, obvious result, isn't it? Everything's been building towards it. Why pull that punch?

I've never seen so many nit-picky criticisms for a film. The truth is, most of you wanted this to live up to an idea that was bigger in your heads than it ever could hope to be. The film was a very good ending for a very good series.
These discussions would be a shade friendlier if we could just discuss our disappointments and not have to be told we're imagining them. I spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff, and these movies in particular. Maybe you think I'm wrong, but I'm capable of understanding my own expectations and reflecting on films I'm excited about.

I like the movie plenty, as I keep saying. It's entirely possible to think the film is very good, and still have some complaints. And they're not huge complaints. I don't think they ruin the film; I'm more interested in how odd and unnecessary they seem. And if your position is just to say this stuff doesn't matter, okay, but why keep saying it? Obviously it matters to me, and some others, and no amount of browbeating is going to change that.

And for the record, I think the 8-year absence is great. I only wish I hadn't heard about it beforehand. That's part of the playing with time and the scale that I mentioned before. I like the audacity of it.