🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
The launch will be televised on YouTube Wednesday at 9:30 AM ET.

https://screenrant.com/blue-origin-w...watch-how/amp/

"I'm terrified. I'm Captain Kirk and I'm terrified. I'm not really terrified-yes I am. It comes and goes like a summer cold. I'm planning on putting my nose against the window (while in space) and my only hope is I won't see someone else looking back."

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Did anyone else watch the launch live? I haven't watched a live launch since the Challenger launch, and I got a bit uneasy having flashbacks. I was so happy when they landed safely.

I loved seeing how emotional Shatner was when it was over. The only thing that would have been better would have been if Nimoy and De Kelley could have been there with him.

Did anyone else watch the launch live? I haven't watched a live launch since the Challenger launch, and I got a bit uneasy having flashbacks. I was so happy when they landed safely.

I loved seeing how emotional Shatner was when it was over. The only thing that would have been better would have been if Nimoy and De Kelley could have been there with him.

I started watching at 9am. I watched the whole thing. It was awesome. It was touching to see the interview of Shatner after they landed. Yes, it would have been great if Spock and McCoy had been there with him.

I don't remember the Challenger accident, but I do remember the Columbia. In fact, I was listening to the shuttle and ground transmissions live on NASA Radio. And then everything stopped. There was silence for like 45 minutes and then they announced that the shuttle had exploded over Texas on its reentry. Very sad.

Was he in A Private Little War?
I don't know the actors name but the character name was like A'nom 7 (spelled wrong, I'm sure!)
No, but it's a war-related episode, if that helps.

No, but it's a war-related episode, if that helps.
It's the one with the computerized war - where people on a planet that fought wars only with computers (so no actual bombs destroyed anything) had to report to destruction chambers if the computers said their area had been virtually attacked.

This guy played the lead administrator (or leader) of one side on the planet.

But I don't remember the name of the episode (it was one of the best, conceptually).

It's the one with the computerized war - where people on a planet that fought wars only with computers (so no actual bombs destroyed anything) had to report to destruction chambers if the computers said their area had been virtually attacked.

But I don't remember the name of the episode (it was one of the best, conceptually).
That's the one! It's A Taste of Armageddon.
The actor is David Opatoshu. I saw him in Torn Curtain and was like, "where have I seen him before?"

That's the one I meant! Seriously!
Was he in A Private Little War?
I don't know the actors name but the character name was like A'nom 7 (spelled wrong, I'm sure!)
David Opatoshu as Anan 7

These fan animations keep getting better and better.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'

These fan animations keep getting better and better.
Now that looked beautifully done. The old Connie has never looked better.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

The malfunction of the M5 Computer in The Ultimate Computer was an act of sabotage!

The M5 presented a threat to the careers of everyone on the Enterprise save for Dr. Daystrom. The M5 is faster, more precise, more reliable. Everyone on the ship, save for one, had a motive to sabotage M5. Daystrom was moments from a technological advance so massive that it would radically restructure Starfleet.

Kirk, in particular, felt threatened and humiliated throughout the episode. It was made very clear that Kirk, along with everyone serving aboard Federation Starships was on the precipice of being replaced by a machine. The machine, for example, outperforms the captain, picking a better away team for a planetary survey. Kirk himself begins to worry that he has an irrational fear and resistance to the device.
KIRK: I don't mean that. I'm getting a Red Alert right here. (the back of his head) That thing is dangerous. I feel. (hesitates) Only a fool would stand in the way of progress, if this is progress. You have my psychological profiles. Am I afraid of losing my job to that computer?
MCCOY: Jim, we've all seen the advances of mechanisation. After all, Daystrom did design the computers that run this ship.
KIRK: Under human control.
MCCOY: We're all sorry for the other guy when he loses his job to a machine. When it comes to your job, that's different. And it always will be different.
KIRK: Am I afraid of losing command to a computer? Daystrom's right. I can do a lot of other things. Am I afraid of losing the prestige and the power that goes with being a starship captain? Is that why I'm fighting it? Am I that petty?
His friends try to lift his spirits, but nothing works. Spock tries and McCoy tries (even bringing him booze), but Kirk is positively shaken by the thing. The final insult is when Kirk is referred to as Captain Dunsel by Commodore Wesley. This is one of the few times we see Kirk so out of joint and, by his own admission, at odds with the ship.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, we all know that Kirk is not above cheating and manipulating computers. He reprogrammed the computer Kobayashi Maru simulation, because he CANNOT accept defeat. He does not believe in a no-win scenario and has established that he will do ANYTHING to remain in command of the Enterprise. His obsession runs so deep that he was the ONLY person to resist the happy-spores of the plants on Omicron Ceti III. Why? Because at the moment he had to face the prospect of losing the Enterprise, he snapped out of it. Ditto for the tears of women of Elas, who enslave all men exposed to their tears. Kirk resists? How, because he loves being in command of the Enterprise that much more.
CHAPEL: Ambassador, if Elasian women are that vicious, why are men so overwhelmingly attracted to them? I mean, what magic do they possess?
PETRI: It's not magic. It's biochemical. A man whose flesh is once touched by the tears of a woman of Elas has his heart enslaved forever.

Later on...
SPOCK: You are too late, Doctor. The Captain has found his own antidote.
MCCOY: Are you out of your Vulcan mind? Do you know how long I've worked on
SPOCK: The antidote to a woman of Elas, Doctor, is a starship. The Enterprise infected the Captain long before the Dohlman did.

But it is just not Captain Kirk who had the motive. So too, did Mr. Spock. As Spock states,
KIRK: Machine over man, Spock? It was impressive. It might even be practical.
SPOCK: Practical, Captain? Perhaps. But not desirable. Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them. Captain the starship also runs on loyalty to one man, and nothing can replace it, or him.

Spock has an abiding love and loyalty for his Captains (Consider what he risked for Pike to get him back to Talos IV!), and he has a particularly strong bond to Captain Kirk (especially if the Slash-Fiction crowd is correct). Spock has a motive not only to protect his own job, but also to predict the delicate ego of his captain.

Moreover, Spock didn't only have the motive, but also the means and the opportunity.
WESLEY: Have you heard of the M-5 multitronic unit?
KIRK: That's Doctor Richard Daystrom's device, isn't it? Tell me about that.
SPOCK: The most ambitious computer complex ever created. Its purpose is to correlate all computer activity aboard a starship, to provide the ultimate in vessel operation and control.
WESLEY: How do you know so much about it, Commander?
SPOCK: I hold an A-7 computer expert classification, Commodore. I'm well acquainted with Doctor Daystrom's theories and discoveries. The basic design of all our ship's computers are Doctor Daystrom's.

Spock is a computer genius who kept up with research, could have poked around the M5, discovered/inferred its weakness (human memory engrams), and conceived of a way to pin a "malfunction" on Dr. Daystrom.

For his part, Dr. Daystrom, having worked so hard to produce a new super-computer and having taken a bit of a risk in imprinting his mind on his computer, was in a stressed position where he was easily manipulated into thinking that his engrams had failed, that he could no longer produce a great accomplishment.

And once the M5 went homicidal, Star Fleet steered clear of automation as a matter of prudence.

Let us not, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, forget that Spock is still half-human and that Vulcans have deep emotions under the surface. In Amok Time we learn that T'Pring was willing to get Spock and/or Kirk killed just to avoid an inconvenient marriage. When her machinations are revealed, Spock expresses cool respect.
SPOCK: Logical. Flawlessly logical.
T'PRING: I am honoured.

Spock does not react with anger. He gets it. Given what she wanted, her acts were logical. And how does Spock react when his father is under suspicion for killing a Tellarite Ambassador?
SPOCK: If there were a reason, my father is quite capable of killing. Logically and efficiently.
The prosecution rests.

Well said, Corax. I'd just like to add, in the scene in This Side of Paradise after Kirk is infected by the spores, he's in his quarters packing his stuff and comes upon an award he had won. At first he looks happy, but then a moment later he has a troubled look on his face. A conflict is brewing. I think after looking at that reward, he started thinking about all his accomplishments, and this lead to him changing his mind about leaving his ship.

My ST-TOS fan theory:
In an alternate universe (that we would come to call the Mirror Universe) after having traveled back in time via a time portal, Kirk or perhaps even McCoy saved Edith Keeler from being killed by a truck (in "City on the Edge of Forever").

We know from that episode that if Keeler did not die from the accident then, through a series of events, the Nazis would win WWII.

So in this alternate universe she was saved, the Nazis won, and their fascistic world government along with the Axis powers eventually led to the tyrannical & fascistic "Terran Empire" that we saw in the episode titled "Mirror Mirror" (and again on Enterprise in "A Mirror Darkly I & II").