"Boardwalk Empire" (HBO)

Tools    

Executive producers Terence Winter (a writer/producer on "The Sopranos") and Oscar-winner Martin Scorsese (who also directs the first episode) have assembled an all-star cast, led by Steve Buscemi, with "Boardwalk Empire", set in 1920 Atlantic City, New Jersey just as the Eighteenth Amendment made Prohibition the law of the land...and gave instant rise to various criminals looking to get rich by providing the suddenly-illegal liquor. Official HBO site HERE. The first episode premieres Sunday September 19th.

Buscemi is Enoch "Nucky" Thompson (based on real-life figure Nucky Johnson, a racketeer and behind-the-scenes political puppeteer) and incorporates other established and up and coming Mobsters such as Arnold Rothstein (A Serious Man's Michael Stuhlbarg), Meyer Lansky (Anatol Yusef), Lucky Luciano (Vincent Piazza), and Al Capone (Stephen Graham). Michael Pitt plays Nucky's enforcer, a World War I veteran who has transformed from a straight arrow to a cold-blooded killer, and Michael K. Williams ("The Wire") is Chalky White, the man responsible for distribution in the Black communities. Kelly MacDonald, Gretchen Moll and Aleksa Palladino are some of the Dames on hand, and Michael Shannon is the Government agent trying to sift through all the hooch and bodies.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	BoardwalkEmpireLOGO.jpg
Views:	2709
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	6829  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

HBO makes such bitchin' dramas.

You had me at Winter and that Scorsese guy. Looks pretty damn good. Bet we see several Sopranos cast members on this show.

Originally Posted by Powdered Water
Bet we see several Sopranos cast members on this show.
Not any major ones. Max Casella, who will always be Doogie Howser's best pal Vinnie Delpino to me, anyway, and not his background gangster from "The Sopranos", looks to be the only real overlap in the two casts. And Buscemi, of course, but he's hardly readily associated with "The Sopranos" in many people's minds, having been a star long before and after his stint on that show. I wouldn't think we'll see the likes of Paulie Walnuts or Uncle Junior, even in cameos.

Dabney Coleman is in it, though.

Michael Shannon has certainly become a favorite of mine in the past few years, starting with Shotgun Stories and going to the next level with The Missing Person and The Runaways.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ShannonEMPIRE.jpg
Views:	2624
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	6830  

Wow! The pilot was awesome! It was really cool seeing a young Al Capone. This is going to make for a very interesting TV show. I actually just bought HBO yesterday so I can watch this, Bored to Death, and True Blood

why is this unpopular in this forum? :[

I don't know if it's unpopular or not. Little seen, maybe? I've seen the first two seasons, so feel free to kick things off.

Well,I liked both seasons and I'm looking forward to the third one.The thing which made many fans angry was the end of season two(don't want to spoil) but I think it was good and made sense althogh I loved the character.
And overall,I think it's a great show - 20s are perfectly recreated,music is amazing,plot is interesting and the cast is awesome. ^^

The thing which made many fans angry was the end of season two(don't want to spoil) but I think it was good and made sense althogh I loved the character.
Yeh, most will be annoyed but it was the logical thing to do so for the sake of the show I'm glad they did it.

Love Boardwalk Empire, one of my favourite shows and can't wait until next season with a lot of potential storylines for each character. The attention to detail and aesthetics are brilliant, loved Forsythe's introduction and character last season as well.

Movie Forums Extra
i love buscemi but i don't know how interested i will still be in a post-michael pitt world of this show

I have two episodes left to finish season three,really looking forward to it.This season seems more tense and more violent but nonetheless compelling. ) Judging for IMDB,those last two episodes will be very pleasant.

I agree. I thought season 3 was the best yet, which is both encouraging and worrying. Encouraging because it's getting better, worrying because there seems to be a thing with Season 3 and shows I like being their best.

So after season 3, I forgot about it and just recently remembered. To get the best effect out of the show, I'm watching it all again. Now, I'm in the middle of season 3, and I love the show even more.
Besides good period recreation, I really love the characters.So smart and funny.

Decided to give this another shot. I watched the First Season as it aired and thought it was well made but couldn't get into it which was weird for many reasons; the fact that i love The Sopranos and that i have always been interested in the history of the US Mafia for Instance. A friend has been trying to push his dvd's on me for ages so i've started it again, watched the first 3 episodes and i think i'm feeling it more this time; not completely into it or anything yet though.