Shattered (1991) Review

→ in
Tools    

i've always been a fan of wolfgang petersen films, ever since watching the never ending story, i always liked his was of directing films, although he hasn t directed many, but Air force one comes along my mind as really a superb action film that he s done.
the premise here is amazing, with camera work and moving from scene to the other by the use old school fading picture technique, it really feels like you are watching a classic thriller from hitchcock's era, i like how the film is based in san francisco, and the use of music here is just sublime, Alan Silverstri s score is a great one.it really reminds of me of old school film noir.
i have n t known Gretta Sachi before, but she does a great job here as the wife who s trying to protect her husband s image and covering up for him, although twists and turns here , wait for the twist it s gonna be amazing.
all in all really like this film and it s for me in the top 5 best neo noir thrillers of the 90s.

I have recently what shattered (2022). I'm sure it's a remake of the 1991 movie. Overall, this is a horror movie with many suspenseful and unexpected details.

Victim of The Night
I saw this in the theater and really liked it but have never gone back on account of its overall critical reception being rather poor and not wanting to waste two hours just for nostalgia.
Glad to hear that maybe it's worth a revisit.

I re-watched Shattered (1991) sometime in the last couple years, during the pandemic. It apes classic Noir-ish/Hitchcockian vibes but it's all pretty silly, and one of those mysteries with so few characters that it isn't hard to figure the twist. Below average stuff in my book, though I am a Noir and Neo Noir junkie so I have seen most of them. If this was one's introduction to this type of film I guess it's OK, but when put next to entries even of its contemporary ilk...ho-hum.

The early '90s Noirs I would recommend highly are The Grifters (1990), The Hot Spot (1990), After Dark, My Sweet (1990), Dead Again (1991), One False Move (1992), Romeo is Bleeding (1993), and Red Rock West (1993). All of those are much better and more interesting flicks than Shattered. I think, anyway. The genre went through a bit of a renaissance in the 1990s, as did Westerns. What is old is new again.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

As for Greta Scacchi, if this was your intro to her I would very much recommend Heat & Dust (1983), The Player (1991), White Mischief (1987), The Coca-Cola Kid (1985), Presumed Innocent (1990), and The Red Violin (1998).

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
I caught this randomly a year or two ago, not having seen it since release. Still holds up fairly well for what it is, but seeing it again this time while knowing the twist, it lost much of the intrigue.

Victim of The Night
I re-watched Shattered (1991) sometime in the last couple years, during the pandemic. It apes classic Noir-ish/Hitchcockian vibes but it's all pretty silly, and one of those mysteries with so few characters that it isn't hard to figure the twist. Below average stuff in my book, though I am a Noir and Neo Noir junkie so I have seen most of them. If this was one's introduction to this type of film I guess it's OK, but when put next to entries even of its contemporary ilk...ho-hum.

The early '90s Noirs I would recommend highly are The Grifters (1990), After Dark, My Sweet (1990),,Romeo is Bleeding (1993),. All of those are much better and more interesting flicks than Shattered. I think, anyway. The genre went through a bit of a renaissance in the 1990s, as did Westerns. What is old is new again.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
Those three are films I particularly like and the first two I consider to be really excellent films. The Grifters is almost hard for me to watch, honestly. My friends and I saw AD, MS on a totally blind trip to the theater in L.A. when it came out. Only one of our people knew about it and dragged us all the rest of us had no idea what we were going to see and we all emerged as fans.