Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Magic Mike, 2012

Mike (Channing Tatum) works as a stripper in a nightclub run by Dallas (Matthew McConaughey). While working a day gig as a roofer, Mike meets the impulsive 19-year old Adam (Alex Pettyfer) and recruits him as a dancer. Mike quickly becomes attracted to Adam's older sister, Brooke (Cody Horn), who worries about Adam's wellbeing in the nightlife scene. As Adam embraces the hard-partying lifestyle more and more, his impulsiveness threatens Mike's dreams for the future.

Overall I enjoyed this comedy-drama, though it contained two of my biggest stressors: people doing things that are theoretically sexy that I do not find sexy, and trying to get good rates on a small business loan.

What I think the film does best is tap into the way that someone can be trapped in a situation and not really see a way out of it. Mike is determined to get a furniture making business off of the ground. He's hustled to save a decently sized down-payment, but his poor credit history--partly a function of the nature of his work--means that he cannot get a loan. Whether his plan is actually tenable or not, Mike grows increasingly anxious as Dallas plans to move the club to Miami, but with less pay than originally promised.

In this regard, Mike is well-matched with Brooke, who is trapped in a very different way. Brooke feels responsible for Adam, but he is legally an adult and she has little power over what happens to him. She can't keep him from being around or taking drugs, nor does she have any say over who he spends his time with. The fact that he lives with her and their sibling relationship provides her with a bit of leverage, but as Adam sinks into casual drug use and surrounds himself with other people who make bad choices, even that power doesn't do much.

Performance wise, Pettyfer is appropriately obnoxious and frustrating as Adam. His initial shyness around the other dancers belies a personality that is inherently impulsive and selfish. We learn from Brooke that Adam blew a sports scholarship by getting into a physical altercation with the coach on the first day of practice. Adam chases his own pleasures, and his original hesitations are really just someone getting their sea legs.

The real standout, though, is Tatum. Reid Carolin's writing seems perfectly suited to Tatum's particular brand of charisma, which can be summed up as "is this guy really dumb? Wait, is he actually smart? No wait, I think he might be stupid after all? Or is he?!" (Something Tatum also leveraged really well in The Lost City). There are these little touches in the writing that Tatum delivers perfectly, like when he asks his grad-student girlfriend (Olivia Munn) if she's studying "social studies". There are these very real verbal miscues--like when he goes to introduce Brooke and introduces her as "Adam's brother"--that ground the character incredibly well.

Cody Horn's solid but subdued performance as Brooke was also really good. Her character's more withdrawn nature makes for a really strong contrast with the screaming bluster of the strip club sequences. She's like a patch of calm water in a storm, and it makes a lot of intuitive sense that Mike would be drawn to her. Late in the film he tries to draw a line between who is really is and what he does for work, and you can tell that she is the kind of person he wants to be around. Their slow-building romance was one of my favorite parts of the film.

As for the strip club sequences themselves? Meh. Like, don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of dance and I generally have a huge appreciation for athleticism. I was kind of disappointed that the dancing didn't seem to have more of a relationship to the story itself. Yeah, sure, we see Adam's increased confidence. But the sequences are all very brief and kind of redundant. There would be some good dancing, but then every third move was *aggressive pelvic thrusts and it got kind of tiresome. I'm not saying it's not realistic or whatever, just that it was unengaging. The sequences often felt rushed, and it almost felt like there was a discomfort with letting there be any slowness or sensuality as opposed to either going silly and over the top or going really aggressive and having the dancers air-humping the audience.

What did impress me in the dance sequences was the work that clearly went into them, and the extent to which we do get to see the dance skills that Tatum brought to the film. He's very athletic and a really good dancer, and the final sequence in the film was probably the best of any of the dance numbers, if only because it actually took a moment to breathe instead of two minutes of posing and then down to a g-string.

(SIDENOTE: But the numbers, tho!: typically, a film will have between 1 and 3% of 1/10 ratings on IMDb. The male voters of that site have over 4% 1/10 votes for Magic Mike. Is this is homophobia, or just anger at the idea of women being sexual consumers or what?)

Aside from being underwhelmed by the nature and purpose of the dance sequences, I have very few complaints. I was pretty impressed with the character work and thought that the balance between comedy and drama was pretty deft.

I love Magic Mike. I also sort of love Magic Mike 2. And yes, the male hatred of this film seems to be deeply linked to the insecurity so many men apparently feel about watching movies where male are overtly sexualized. I am pretty sure I was one of, if not the only, man in both screenings. And the look of disgust I get from a lot of males when I say I like the series is very unlike the looks I get when people are not fans of other movies I openly appreciate. It's like I'm some kind of traitor.

Regardless, being a fan of Magic Mike is a role I relish.

I love Magic Mike. I also sort of love Magic Mike 2. And yes, the male hatred of this film seems to be deeply linked to the insecurity so many men apparently feel about watching movies where male are overtly sexualized. I am pretty sure I was one of, if not the only, man in both screenings. And the look of disgust I get from a lot of males when I say I like the series is very unlike the looks I get when people are not fans of other movies I openly appreciate. It's like I'm some kind of traitor.

Regardless, being a fan of Magic Mike is a role I relish.
Would you say that the sequel is at least close to being on par with the first film?

COMPLOT
(1999, García)

"You know what? I still don't understand what they're trying to do with all of these."
"That's what we all would like to know."

Set at the dawn of the new millennium, Complot follows a group of agents from an enigmatic government agency called S.E.C.T.O.R. 4 (Special Espionage Corruption Task Operational Resource ). Their mission is to stop a, uhh, complot of mysterious forces to take over control of the world computer systems as a result of the Y2K "bug"; something that stumps them and prompts the above exchange.

But for all its faults, I gotta commend director and co-writer Raúl García for his confidence in launching a project like this, something that I don't think had been seen in Puerto Rican cinema before. His direction might feel amateurish at times, but there are some little nuggets of flair and panache through the film that make an impression. From several neat crane shots to a continuous shot as our heroes try to escape from a hotel only to be captured outside.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Would you say that the sequel is at least close to being on par with the first film?

It's been awhile but my memory is the sequel was kind of what sequels do. It got more Magicer and more Mikeier. So a little sillier and a little less earnest. But I found it pretty entertaining even though it was being a little dumb (and probably intentionally so)

It's been awhile but my memory is the sequel was kind of what sequels do. It got more Magicer and more Mikeier. So a little sillier and a little less earnest. But I found it pretty entertaining even though it was being a little dumb (and probably intentionally so)
I don't know that I'd rush to see it, but I'll keep it generally on the back burner.

I don't know that I'd rush to see it, but I'll keep it generally on the back burner.

I'm pretty sure there is also more dancing. But I think it is less sexy dancing and more garrishly over the top set pieces....I think

Certainly not anything essential, but the rare pointless good time I could enjoy

I forgot the opening line.

By May be found at the following website: http://www.impawards.com/2008/bolt_ver2.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19564310

Bolt - (2008)

I think Bolt came out at the wrong time - hot on the heels of some of Pixar's most incredible work, and other animated studios having wowed audiences through the 2000s. Even though it might have been Disney's best animated film outside of Pixar for a long time, and managed to be their first marginal success which led to bigger and better things it's generally looked down upon. I really enjoyed watching it last night - and, granted, it's story is predictable and clichéd, but the humour and joy seems to really be there since we were looking at a new generation of animators and writers. After John Travolta and Miley Cyrus were granted the leads for basically their names and drawing power, the rest of the cast were all unknowns who were chosen for how right they were for the parts. I was giving this one a chance, and it really would have been a big hit with me if I were a kid - it's funny and full of character, plus the watercolour backgrounds are unusual and add something different to the genre. Really liked this.

7.5/10

By POV - Impawards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3932776

Escape From L.A. - (1996)

I'd never seen this before yesterday - I knew it would be a hollow, upgraded repetition of Escape From New York. Well, it wasn't so bad as to cause me pain during it's 101-minute runtime - there are many moments where it seems to be aware of it's own limitations, and it also knows just how much to riff on the peculiarities of L.A. The CGI special effects are perhaps the most dreadful I've ever seen in my life, especially strange considering this was a $50 million dollar movie in 1996 - I guess producers had other priorities. Overall, I didn't hate Escape From L.A. - but unlike it's predecessor I won't be watching it numerous times, and perhaps never again.

6/10

By Original paper poster, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=899083

Deep Impact - (1998)

This film is pretty hokey, but I always stick around for that sweet, sweet destruction at the end. It also happens to be way better than Armageddon (however, nearly all films are better than Armageddon.) At least we get to dream a dream about what things would have been like with Morgan Freeman as president of the United States - clutching his desk and looking at the floor in consternation, with his shirt sleeves rolled up. That inauguration speech must have sounded fantastic.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

By May be found at the following website: http://www.impawards.com/2008/bolt_ver2.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19564310

Bolt - (2008)

I think Bolt came out at the wrong time - hot on the heels of some of Pixar's most incredible work, and other animated studios having wowed audiences through the 2000s. Even though it might have been Disney's best animated film outside of Pixar for a long time, and managed to be their first marginal success which led to bigger and better things it's generally looked down upon. I really enjoyed watching it last night - and, granted, it's story is predictable and clichéd, but the humour and joy seems to really be there since we were looking at a new generation of animators and writers. After John Travolta and Miley Cyrus were granted the leads for basically their names and drawing power, the rest of the cast were all unknowns who were chosen for how right they were for the parts. I was giving this one a chance, and it really would have been a big hit with me if I were a kid - it's funny and full of character, plus the watercolour backgrounds are unusual and add something different to the genre. Really liked this.

7.5/10
This is one of my favorite movies. Glad to see some love for it.

This is one of my favorite movies. Glad to see some love for it.
I should probably rewatch this at some point.

I both remember really enjoying watching it AND don't remember anything specific about it except for the barest of beginning plot details.

I should probably rewatch this at some point.

I both remember really enjoying watching it AND don't remember anything specific about it except for the barest of beginning plot details.
I love all the main characters and there are some really touching scenes in it (especially when Mittens tells her story, waterworks every time), but weirdly my favorite part has always been the pigeons. This is especially odd because I don't like pigeons, but these ones crack me up.

Deep Impact - (1998)

This film is pretty hokey, but I always stick around for that sweet, sweet destruction at the end. It also happens to be way better than Armageddon (however, nearly all films are better than Armageddon.) At least we get to dream a dream about what things would have been like with Morgan Freeman as president of the United States - clutching his desk and looking at the floor in consternation, with his shirt sleeves rolled up. That inauguration speech must have sounded fantastic.

7/10
I think this gets often dismissed as "just another dumb disaster movie", but I think it's genuinely good. I agree it's hokey at points, but I do think it manages to balance the theatrics of being a disaster movie without losing the focus of the characters in a big ensemble cast. It's one of those films that I always sit down to watch when it's on TV.

(and yes, definitely better than Armageddon!)

Tension - This 1949 noir was a fun watch for me. Lots and lots of intrigue, hidden motivations and unclear allegiances. And at the center of all these goings on are a pair of jaded, mismatched cops played by Barry Sullivan and William Conrad. Directed by John Berry it stars Richard Basehart as timid drugstore manager Warren Quimby. He's volunteered to work nights to save up enough money to afford a home for himself and his wife. However he had the misfortune to have married Claire (Audrey Totter), a venal and manipulative shrew. Claire is always on the lookout to tradeup to a rich sugar daddy and she finds one in liquor salesman Barney Deager (Lloyd Gough). Warren is despondent and eventually goes to Deager's beachside home in Malibu where he confronts the couple.

He's promptly beaten up and forced to leave and, finding himself unable to let go of his humiliating retreat, decides to set up a new identity that he'll then use to murder Deager. Careful to pick out a name that isn't listed in the LA phone book, he leases a new apartment as Paul Sothern, traveling cosmetics salesman. While there he makes the acquaintance of Mary Chanler (Cyd Charisse) and they eventually get romantically involved. This being a classic example of noir, where someone's best laid plans seldom if ever work out, an unexpected twist is introduced.

And this is where Homicide Detectives Lt. Collier "Collie" Bonnabel (Sullivan) and Lt. Edgar "Blackie" Gonsales (Conrad) join the festivities. I thought their world-weary insouciance really gave the movie an added spark. And I especially liked how they presented Conrad's Latino character with little fanfare as if taking for granted that there were very few non-Anglo roles in 1949. They did show him repeatedly snacking but it was more a personal quirk than a disparaging stereotype. But then they did this for both of the cops, setting up Collie as a coffee lover with an innate understanding of what makes people tick.

There were two other instances where the film seemed to emphasize diversity. They were fleeting but both involved pharmacy customers at Warren's drugstore. One was an African American woman and the other a young Asian boy who, when asked if his mother would be able to read the instructions in English, replied, "You kidding?" This might sound like a trifling thing to fixate on but to me the casting of the three characters made the film all the more distinctive.

Totter is her usual wonderful self as the uber femme fatale and, for someone who only knew him growing up from reruns of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Basehart continues to surprise me. After watching him in Moby Dick and two Fellini movies and as the bad guy in He Walked by Night I've come to realize that the man was a well rounded actor. But I do have to admit that Barry Sullivan sort of walks away with the movie. His Collie Bonnabel is a master manipulator and it's not till the bitter end that you can firmly grasp where his interests truly lie. This may not have been the best known or most successful of noirs but it certainly worked for me.

88/100

Black Panther Wakanda Forever (2022)

Ryan Coogler returns to the billion dollar franchise Black Panther which is also a mediation on loss thanks to Boseman's death which is also a political thriller of sorts between two countries and the use of Vibratium.

The first Black Panther was a well written poorly executed film (not the directors fault) where Wakanda felt like a street the CGI Rhinos looked dumb and Black Panther fighting himself while losing his costume to show his face is the sort of thing that was okay 20 years ago not today. This film is a huge technical step up from the original...while the geography of the nation still seems weird to me (where do all those other tribes live). This film greatly improves on the physics of the powers of the character involved. We also get an undersea world that while still not perfect is better than the cartoonish Aquaman world we saw a few years ago.

Angela Bassett and Tenoch Huerta give standout performances. I can see Bassett getting a second Oscar nom as the first act of the story feels padded but also gives Bassett a lot to work with. Marvel has completely remade Namor into an entirely different character from the books but Huerta performance makes it work. It's somewhat a shame that the filmmakers didn't make him more of a focus point similar to Michael B Jordan's Killmonger.

The big issue with the film is that it's a black female super hero film with Nakia, Okoye, Shuri, and Riri Williams. All of which having different powers and positions in the story but also all sharing the same bland personality. It's a common problem with modern filmmaking where the fear of giving characters flaws and personalities creates a parade of blandness. These characters exist to serve the plot and to sell different versions of toys.

The second issue I had with the film was Disney's marketing objectives fault.
WARNING: spoilers below
The film has a rather large death count yet all the deaths occur off screen. The climax of the film has the Atlalians(now Takaonians) closing in on the named leads at the edge of the ships. Hundreds of Wakandans had died yet. There is something twisted about making a film about grief and treating hundreds of people like they are disposable and forgettable.

With the third issue being that several scenes in the film are just way to dark and blurry. This is an improvement visually from the first film but it's still an issue. A different filmmaker and studio could have fixed it's CGI shortcomings through a better shot selection but instead it's over and done with and off to the next set piece.

But it's still a good film, while it has it's issues the actual plotting is good. At three hours I wasn't really bored or felt the run time until about 2 hours in. While it lacks the interesting character work it does achieve in telling a different type of Super Hero film.

Marvel has completely remade Namor into an entirely different character from the books
Thanks, Marvel!

(Now let's see what they could do with a character like um... say... Dr. Doom. That's just a little inside joke for anyone who's seen the last four live-action Fantastic Four films. I always say the best version of Doom appeared in a little sci-fi fantasy film from 1977 called Star Wars!)

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2006/pirate..._ver2_xlg.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24062458

Pirates of the Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest - (2006)

For years now I've been hearing about the slide-off in quality storytelling and enjoyability of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. I watched the original quite a number of years ago, but didn't go all out to see any of the sequels until now. To tell the truth, I was kind of expecting Dead Man's Chest to not match that first one - but it comes close, and has moments of gleeful comedy. For me though, the series is already starting to depend on the quality of villains and monsters. Orlando Bloom has an enormous deficit charisma-wise. Keira Knightley can hold her own, but is at the mercy of the writing. Johnny Depp's standout performance and amazing invention as Captain Jack Sparrow is just now starting to wear thin. But all up, with Davy Jones (Bill Nighy) and The Kraken being introduced there is spectacle, fun and adventure enough to really pass muster and stave off the inevitable rot that usually sets in sequel-wise.

7/10

By http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/a009978e, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=982254

Toy Story 2 - (1999)

Okay, so there was no Best Animated Feature Oscar for the year this was released? That category must have been still pending, but I'm surprised. I'd seen Toy Story 2 before, and just wanted to catch up so I could watch Toy Story 3. Fun, fun stuff. What more can I say? These Pixar films might have been made with kids in mind, but they're also pretty much solid as entertainment for absolutely any age. It introduced an interesting moral dilemma, but finds a way to circumvent it so as not to leave us on any sour note.

7.5/10

By Toy Story 3 on Facebook, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28435474

Toy Story 3 - (2010)

So now I realise why none of the Toy Story films showed up in the 2000s Countdown - they have a leg each in the late 1990s/early 2010s. Somehow I'd seen the first half of this somewhere before, but not the second half for some reason. As always, these films are great and I enjoy them. I caught my own gleeful laugh when Lots-O was fastened to the grille of that truck, joining a couple of well-worn decrepit toys who warn him to keep his mouth shut. Well - I was pretty upset when he didn't push the button to stop the conveyer which was about to drop that gang into a fire pit.

8/10