Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Recommendation Thread

→ in
Tools    

Ah yes it's 25 isn't it. My list is at 37 at the moment. So need to choose which ones to say goodbye to.

A system of cells interlinked
Now that the horror month is over, I am back into watching stuff from this era. V for Vendetta was the most recent!

The trick is not minding
Just watched Dennis Villeneuve’s Polytechnique (2009).
A fact based account of the infamous 1989 mass shooting at the Ecole Polytechnique school for engineering.
Harrowing, it avoids glamorizing the violence and doesn’t try to impose its own theories, sticking to the facts as we know them, without trying to force another motive
Villeneuve wisely focused on three of the victims, as well as the killer, and treats as as more then mere spectators, but almost like witnesses to the massacre.
Powerful, this will make my ballot.

A fact based account of the infamous 1989 mass shooting at the Ecole Polytechnique school for engineering.
Harrowing, it avoids glamorizing the violence and doesn’t try to impose its own theories, sticking to the facts as we know them, without trying to force another motive
Villeneuve wisely focused on three of the victims, as well as the killer, and treats as as more then mere spectators, but almost like witnesses to the massacre.
Great film. Villeneuve was so distraught at his first two films that he took 9 years off and was a house husband who occasionally did a few bits of tv work. Then someone persuaded him to do this film and he absolutely nailed it.

The trick is not minding
Great film. Villeneuve was so distraught at his first two films that he took 9 years off and was a house husband who occasionally did a few bits of tv work. Then someone persuaded him to do this film and he absolutely nailed it.
It left me devastated.
Australia has a film out called Nitram that is about a similar Massacre based on the Port Arthur shootings in 1996. I wonder it’ll compare?

It's a pretty powerful film. If you're interested, here's what I wrote about it on Letterboxd.

The trick is not minding
It's a pretty powerful film. If you're interested, here's what I wrote about it on Letterboxd.
Good review. I didn’t have any issue connecting with them emotionally, myself. Particularly the two room mates, who clearly and JF. JF was able to convey his fear and concern with his actions and facial expressions. Through his eyes, we see his terror and concern and sorrow, and ultimately, his despair.
I felt for him. His was an difficult choice.
Valerie, probably had the next impact, as we see her life after the attack, and her hopes and dreams afterwards. It’s powerful film making.

A huge list of late suggestions:

Orphan (2009) Collet-Serra
Head on (2004) Akin
Young can Count on Me (2000) Lonergan.
The unshakeable bond between a brother and sister.
Kings and Queen (2004) Desplechin
The Pianist (2002) Polanski

Fish Tank (2009) Arnold
Talk to Her (2002) Almodóvar
Wonder Boys (2000) — Hanson
Michael Clayton (2007 ) Gilroy
The Royal Tenenbaums (2002) Anderson

Superbad (2007) Mottola.
One of the great memory films. One Friday night from high school has been told and re-told so many times it has achieved mythic status.
Heartbeat Detecter (2007) Klotz
A Christmas Tale (2008) Desplechin
Oasis (2002) Lee
Children Underground (2001) — Belzberg.
A group portrait of some street children in sleeping (and sniffing glue) in a Bucharest metro station; a bleak vision of humanity.
Birth (2004) Glazer
Sexiest man dead: he may have been mouldering in the grave for 10 years but has, not one but two women willing to wait eight years until his re-incarnation is old enough to run away with one of them on his 18th birthday.

Lake of Fire (2006) Kaye
Summer Hours (2008) Asseyas
Blame it on Fidel (2006) Gavras
Spartan (2003) Mamet
Un Prophète (2009) Audiard

Blue Car (2003) Moncrieff
Somersault (2004) Carland
Touching the Void (2003) Macdonald
Boy A (2007) Crowley.
A nice addition into the sub-genre of the coming of age film, where the hero fails matriculate.
La Vie Nouvelle (2002) Grandieux.
Although this is guaranteed to send more than a few viewers running screaming in horror from the living room, this grim and bleak story shines (or throbs painfully) with nihilism pessimism.

Troubled waters (2008) Poppe
Junebug (2005) Morrison
Tell No One (2006) Canet
Maria full of grace (2004) Marston
Secretary (2002) Shainberg

Atonement (2007) Wright
Castaway (2000) Zemeckis
La Moustache (2005) Carrere
Out of Time (2003) Franklin
The Family Stone (2005) Bezucha

Whale Rider (2002) — Caro
2 days in Paris (2007) — Delpy
A couple finishes off a European dream vacation by visiting the girlfriend's parents in Paris. The guy discovers the woman he lives with in New York isn't even remotely resemble the same person who walks around in Paris.
The Taste of Others (2000) Jaoui
Hot Fuzz (2007) Wright
The Family Man (2000) — Ratner
The Cell (2000) — Singh
The Prestige (2006) Nolan

I've rewatched these and they definitely won't crack the final list
Dogville (2003) Von Trier
Happy Accidents (2000) Anderson
An Education (2009) Scherfig
Cellular (2004) Ellis

It left me devastated.
Australia has a film out called Nitram that is about a similar Massacre based on the Port Arthur shootings in 1996. I wonder it’ll compare?
Have you seen Out of The Blue? Coincidentaly it's in the 2000s so is eligible!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0839938/

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched another movie that I haven't seen mentioned here that deserves some attention. It's called The Lookout (2007), and it stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels.

The trick is not minding
I watched another movie that I haven't seen mentioned here that deserves some attention. It's called The Lookout (2007), and it stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels.

The Lookout is a good movie!

The Lookout is a good movie!

I hadn't heard of it before, but it was on one of the cable movie channels. It didn't sound like my type of movie, but I watched it because I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I'm glad I gave it a chance because it's good enough that it might make my list.

I forgot the opening line.
It may have been mentioned somewhere already - but after watching this again last night I have to trumpet it's 'must-see' status as one of the best films of the 2000s :

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The trick is not minding
It may have been mentioned somewhere already - but after watching this again last night I have to trumpet it's 'must-see' status as one of the best films of the 2000s :

Near certainty it will make my ballot!

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in one of the recaps I did from every year, but I haven't seen it in a good while. I do remember liking it a lot.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in one of the recaps I did from every year, but I haven't seen it in a good while. I do remember liking it a lot.

That's possible. There were so many lists that it's hard to remember all of them. I've been going back and forth between them trying to figure out what movies to watch, but between the recommendations here on MoFo, my DVDs, and cable movie channels, I've kind been all over the place with the movies that I've watched.