The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Dune is one of the worst films i've ever seen and i'm the curator of the Lynch Club. Can understand if fans of the book dig it but then all i've heard is that it's not a good adaptation. To me it was a boring mess but i'm happy to see it here anyway. Never seen Looper.

Also i wasn't sure if there was going to be a one pointers list or not and was thinking about having Duck Dodgers as my #25, forgot to ask though. Others may have voted for it anyway.

Looking forward to the list Nope, and the eventual crowning of 2001.

Top ten in no particular order: 2001, Alien, New Hope, Blade Runner, Back To The Future, The Thing, Solaris, Empire Strikes Back, Children Of Men, Jurassic Park.

* That's a prediction ( I didn't submit a list)
Why didn't you submit one? Not a sci-fi fan? I'm not really either but thankfully Nope allowed us to go by IMDB so i got to pick certain not strictly Sci-Fi films i lovve. I doubt Solaris will make the top ten; i think it will be pretty high but i think there's too many films that more people would have seen than Solaris.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Also, the formatting looks great.
And to echo what MV said, the formatting looks great.
Co-signed. Nice, bold, big black fonts with a nicely balanced photo-layout as well... Simple, clean, clear and full on contrast. I dig it!

Good job on the list so far, Nope, I admire all the work you took on yourself with this one. Looks like you were the right MoFo for the job.
Appreciate it

I doubt Solaris will make the top ten; i think it will be pretty high but i think there's too many films that more people would have seen than Solaris.
Do you mean the 1972 or 2002 version? Or both?

I really did not enjoy the American version. I saw it first, and it made me hesitant to watch the original, but I did anyway and liked it quite a bit more, but didn't love it. Unfortunately I don't remember much about it, and I didn't have time to rewatch it before submitting my list.

Don't remember much detail about Looper at all, have never revisited it or even considered doing so. Have never bothered with Dune, in any format.....it now being on a list will do nothing to change that

Why didn't you submit one? Not a sci-fi fan? I'm not really either but thankfully Nope allowed us to go by IMDB so i got to pick certain not strictly Sci-Fi films i lovve. I doubt Solaris will make the top ten; i think it will be pretty high but i think there's too many films that more people would have seen than Solaris.
Just never had 25 I was comfortable with. Honestly, I never considered myself a fan but there are a few I love. Makes me feel like I haven't seen enough.

Speaking of the few I love. Looper would have made my list. My second favorite movie of that year.

Haven't seen Dune. If Villenueve makes a new one, I will see that.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I liked, maybe even really liked, Looper but was also disappointed at the time as I hoped I was going to love it. Still not seen it since that time at the cinema though and would like to give it another watch

Do you mean the 1972 or 2002 version? Or both?

I really did not enjoy the American version. I saw it first, and it made me hesitant to watch the original, but I did anyway and liked it quite a bit more, but didn't love it. Unfortunately I don't remember much about it, and I didn't have time to rewatch it before submitting my list.
72. I haven't seen the 2002 one, i doubt it will be higher than the original. I loved the original and may have voted for it.

I like Looper, but I don't love it as I have some problems with the way time is being used in it, which is the case for most time travel films. There are only a few films that get it right (according to me) and those are on my list. Metaphorically the old vs young self kind of works, but the story doesn't fully use that potential either, so it kind of falls flat in the end too.

Looper wasn't on my list, but I'm OK with it being on the top 100. It's not a bad film overall and a lot of people probably love it for the reasons that I didn't. I respect that. There's still a lot of cool stuff going on in the film as well.

Haven't seen Dune yet.

Nope, the countdown looks great! Thanks for doing this for us

Dune...was #8 on my list and believe me I've seen a boat load of sci fi movies You guys need to see Dune before you decide it's crap. I've seen it numerous times and the extended version is crap, but the original theatrical cut is worth watching.

The theatrical cut is not without it's faults, mainly do to the very long and complex novel being condensed down into a 2 hour movie...which gives a visually rich looking film without a lot of meat for the story.

Dune (theatrical cut) is worth watching, but go to Wiki and read the entire synopsis before seeing the film.

My short review on Dune

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
seen both of them and enjoyed both of them. And CR is right, if you watch it, watch the theatrical version of Dune

Format is looking VERY VERY sharp, Nope!!! EXCELLENT WORK!!

Watched: 2/2

Looper is in imo a well made action sci-fi film which i rate [rate]3[/rating]. Not superb in anyway, but definitely a good watch / take on the sci-fi genre.

That said it was not in the vicinity of making my list.

I have Dune on DVD but i have no intentions of actually watching it. I Lynch, but this film by its reputation, is not something i am looking forward to watching.

I have seen the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune, which is quite fun

...I have Dune on DVD but i have no intentions of actually watching it. I Lynch, but this film by its reputation, is not something i am looking forward to watching.
Several of you have said something similar about Dune, don't let other peoples opinions or critics form your own, about any movie or anything. Just watch it with an open mind.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
So far, so great Nope. The layout looks great and I like the stats box after the entries.

Looper was a bit hit and miss for me. It has great moments, and the basic story with Levitt and Willis is a good one, but the ending with the kid was predictable. Liked the Beatrix gag, though.

As for Dune, I haven't actually seen it, but I've watched and red stuff about it, enough to get the basic story and the trainwreck that was it's creation. I've heard the same as the others have said, though; if you're going to see it, go for the theatrical cut.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Oh, also, neither was on my list. Didn't remember Looper was a thing to be honest until it was mentioned here, so never considered it for my list, but it wouldn't have been on it even if I'd remembered.