The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I had Marty at 23. I really enjoy that film, although I haven't seen it in forever. I thought highly of Borgnines performance in it too.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm pretty sure Marty was on Raul's list. I grew up watching House of Wax every time it was on TV, which was a lot. Ðèstîñy had to have that one on her list. Love the 3D effects with the paddle ball - and yes, that's Charles Bronson near the beginning of the trailer.
Marty (Delbert Mann, 1955)
+ -Likable Oscar winner, a gentler form of Chayefsky, about a plain Bronx butcher (Ernest Borgnine - Best Actor) who tries to find romance and love before he grows too old.

Angie: What do you wanna do tonight? Marty: I dunno, Angie. What do you wanna do?

While i don't love Marty i think it is probably the best example for me of a film that i can't imagine anyone hating. People who don't like old movies or prefer action or whatever may find it a bit boring, but i can't imagine anyone actually hating it. It is really charming with good performances and is funny at times. Love Marty's relationship with his friend

I've seen the 1953 teleplay version of Marty, which I thought was pretty decent. Compelling performances but didn't really draw me into seeing the film. Haven't seen House of Wax either

... Ooops, wrong decade.

In that 2015 Halloween thread I picked House of Wax (1953) as my 50s flick to talk about. It was my #18 in here. Instead of making wax figures magically come to life like these films usually do, Vincent Price uses dead bodies instead of wax, kinda freaky. Didn't think it would make the countdown, now that it did i'll probly have like 6 movies make it from my list instead of 5!!

I've seen the 1953 teleplay version of Marty, which I thought was pretty decent. Compelling performances but didn't really draw me into seeing the film.
I've seen that, 1953 Marty with Rod Steiger from Playhouse 90. It's good, I think I liked the Ernest Borgnine a bit better. But the 1953 teleplay Marty is certainly worth a watch.

I had Marty at 5
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

I'm an idiot.

I somehow oversaw House of Wax when I compiled my list, despite of going by my IMDb ratings history for the 50s - and I did rate it there... Strange.

So yeah, that's a film that woul've been on my list. Great fun that one.

Care for some gopher?
Haven't seen both movies and, to be honest, i've never even heard of Marty.

Good start. I like Marty, but didn't have it. I may have seen House of Wax, but either way it's the type of movie I'd like.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I was the one who had Marty at #4. I just really like that one.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here.
Two films a day until we reach the top 10. When we get to fifty, I will have a short intermission at which point I will post the one pointers list. This is different then normal but I need extra time. I'll give the reason then .