The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Departed and Lost In Translation
I like these odds.

I've seen all the films on the list so far, this is the grade I'd give them all.

100. Brazil (69 points) 6,5/10 (need to rewatch)
99. Suspiria (70 points) 4,5/10
98. Cabaret (71 points) 6,8/10 (need to rewatch)
97. Enter the Dragon (71points) 7,2/10
96. The Searchers (71 points) 7,7/10
95. Ikiru (72 points) 9,6/10 (#12 on my list)
94. Her (73 points) 7,4/10
93. Braveheart (73 points) 7,5/10
92. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (74 points) 7,9/10
91. Rosemary's Baby (75 points) 7,6/10
90. Harold and Maude (75 points) 8,3/10
89. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (75 points) 6/10
88. Akira (76 points) 7,7/10
87. Toy Story (76 points) 7,8/10
86. Dazed and Confused (77 points) 7,2/10
85. To Kill a Mockingbird (77 points) 8,6/10
84. The Apartment (77 points) 10/10 (#9 on my list)
83. Saving Private Ryan (77 points) 8,7/10

So like is it just me or is it not possible to thumbs up these fancy graphics posts on mobile?

@Yoda
I can't upvote them on mobile as well. I can only do so on browser.

The Apartment, so glad this made the countdown! Like so many other films it was on my long list but was cut to make the final 25. I have fond memories of The Apartment for a very odd reason When I started making the Hall of Fame poster with all the past winners, The Apartment was the second movie I put on it and I remember liking the way the movie poster looked on the image thinking it was pretty cool, check it out yourself:
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...90#post1836290

Yeah, I'll check the thumbs, I had to fiddle with stuff quickly when the countdown started so I should be able to put the thumbs back shortly. Truth be told I wondered if I SHOULD allow rep on them, since it maybe spoils the presentation a little and as much as I love that sweet meaningless rep, it seems unnecessary here.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Two solid additions to the Countdown. Did not vote for either. I just recently watched The Apartment for the first time and it was VERY tempting to add to my list but since my list was all time favorites with a sprinkle of new favorites from the past few years I stuck with another Wilder film.
Saving Private Ryan, which I love, didn't make the cut, sadly.

The Apartment

C.C. Baxter: The mirror... it's broken.
Fran Kubelik: Yes, I know. I like it that way. Makes me look the way I feel.

I have been a fan of Jack Lemon since I was a wee pup of around 6 or so when I became enamored with The Great Race. And I'm not sure, but it was scarcely a couple years after that I saw my very first Billy Wilder film, Some Like it Hot BECAUSE Jack Lemon, along with Tony Curtis were in it. Or perhaps it was Stalag 17, both of which were pretty close to when I first saw them.
Regardless, as this pup became the old wolf that I am, I've enjoyed, not only Wilder as a Director but even more so as a Writer. Especially after joining this forum and having the opportunity to visit some of his truly best that I had wanted to and never seemed to. So I was downright f@ckin tickled to add this.

CC Baxter is an aspiring numbers cruncher at a very large Insurance firm who works late. Not out of dedication to his work. It's because several executives from the upper floors use his apartment to cheat on their wives.
Now, what could be, with such a premise, a simple madcap comedy - Wilder is a genius at finding comedy within some rather tragic circumstances, and is brilliant at mixing them together, time and time again. While the comedy is in a larger dose here, it's target is something far more in depth. With Baxter falling in love with Shirley McLain's Fran Kubelik. The Elevator Operator with amazing wisdom and horrible luck when it comes choosing men.
Again, what would be a By The Numbers story of New York boy meets a New York girl, Wilder delves deeper into the flaws of his characters while still retaining the clever wit that is the lifeblood of a Billy Wilder film.

This film has been awarded the F@ckin YAY! Seal Of Approval.

[Being told he can go home]
Private Ryan: Hell, these guys deserve to go home as much as I do. They've fought just as hard.
Captain Miller: Is that what I'm supposed to tell your mother when she gets another folded American flag?
Private Ryan: You can tell her that when you found me, I was with the only brothers I had left. And that there was no way I was deserting them. I think she'd understand that.

Even though it's been a decade or so since I last saw Saving Private Ryan I am VERY sure I would be wrapped up in this film just as much as I have the dozen or so times I've seen it previously. Including at least twice at the theaters.
It would grip me emotionally just as much as well.
In fact. . . f@ck I just need to rewatch this excellent WWII film again and get re-acquainted with everything I remember loving about it.

Oh, and regarding the love expressed for Band of Brothers - - I whole heartedly, utterly and totally F@CKIN AGREE!!

Movies Watched 14 out of 18 (77.77%)
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer
To Kill A Mockingbird (#85) *rewatch*

It might not be too early for The Departed. We could easily see several Scorcese films that have often gotten more recognition, like Goodfellas, Taxi Driver or Raging Bull.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Apartment is a very good movie, but there are other Jack Lemmon movies that I prefer to watch, mainly because they are more "fun" movies. However, I know that I'm in the minority on this, so I'm not surprised to see it made the countdown, and I think it deserves it.

I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theater many years ago, and I remember little about it except that it was a war movie that seemed too realistic for me, so I have no desire to rewatch it. However, I also remember thinking that it was a good movie, so if we ever do a War Movies Countdown, it will definitely be on my list to watch it at that time.

Tomorrow's hint:

Anybody mentioned The Good, The Bad And The Ugly yet? Would be quite a drop for it but the clue would fit nicely.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Does he actually hang out here? If so, I had no idea and would love to know who he is.
If not, sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

He used to post on here for a while, but he hasn't been on the site for a couple of years. (His user ID was Hubby.) He had some issues with another member who is no longer here, and even though he knows that this other person isn't around here anymore, he just hasn't had the desire to come back again.

Tomorrow's hint:

Um, I'll guess French Connection II because of the...no, I kid! I joke! I liked the movie but I know there's no way it made this list. Even with its parting shot.

Love both The Apartment and Saving Private Ryan but voted for neither.
So far, I have two that have made the list, with #1To Kill a Mockingbird (85) and #19 The Searchers (96). Have seen 14 of 18.

Miss a day on this forum, and you are left with half a dozen pages to read on this thread.

Didn't vote for any of the last four movies.

Watched Apartment this year, after it was always highly spoken of on this forum. I enjoyed it.

As good as Dazed and Confused is, I didn't think it would make the list.

To Kill a Mockingbird is favourite of mine. Loved the book as a kid, and I loved the movie. We need to also talk about the beautiful compositions by Elmer Bernstein.

Now that leave us with Saving Private Ryan. I remember there being a massive hype generated around it because of that brutal opening scene. And that made the movie more popular. I think it's a decent film, but beyond that opening scene it's strictly alright.

As for tomorrow's clue. I haven't got a single one right so far, but that's not gonna stop me from guessing. I am going to say Memories of Murder for the parting shot thing, taking into consideration the end scene. I would be really glad if it makes the list.

Or could it be Whiplash?