The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

She was kidding.

Moving on!
lol oh ok sorry I didn't know, thought I'd help just incase she made a mistake and missed the hint

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not seen Ikuru and with a limited amount of Kurosawa films that I have watched, I do need to expand. And I'm exceedingly temped to add The Searchers to my Rectification List since I realized, via the Western Countdown that, regarding Directors, Ford held the most on my list. The same went with John Wayne. So. . .

While I've only seen Her once, I truly did love it and really need to do a rewatch of it.
And as for Braveheart, well. . .

Braveheart

Stephen: [starts laughing] Him? That can't be William Wallace. I'm prettier than this man!
Stephen: [to the sky] Alright, Father, I'll ask him. [to William] If I risk my neck for you, will I get a chance to kill Englishmen?
Hamish: Is your father a ghost, or do you converse with the Almighty?
Stephen: In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God.
Stephen: [to the sky] Yes, Father! [to Hamish] The Almighty says, "Don't change the subject, just answer the f@ckin' question."

Is this a Historical Biopic?
F@ck no.
Not in the least. If anything it's more of a -- to use a more modern term: a fan fiction. It's in the same light as a Shakespearean play where Good ole Willy depicted such English Royalty as Richard III with a hunchback and painted him an utter scoundrel. (He was neither). Or the "Tall Tales" of our Westerns and the folklore of gunslingers, cowboys, lawmen, bounty hunters and so forth.
Historic figures and events staged in epic pageantry; it's mythical proportions ripe with romantic grandeur in both the characters and the events that take place.
In short, a Hollywood film to entertain the masses.

It is in that light, that perception, that I have always enjoyed and thoroughly adore this film.
From the countless times at the theater; enthralled and captivated in the darkness of the movie theater to the countless times I have watched this at home since then. I would cheer, laugh and, at a number of instances, cry.
Like any great cinematic adventure should be.
This, truly is.

And it is all done beautifully and exquisitely.
The cinematography is spot on, throughout the film. Capturing both, the action sequences and those special "moments" between characters. And the film is full of them, to the point, FAR too many to breakdown without making this an Epic of a review.
The same can be said about the cast. From top to bottom there is an incredible list of actors/actresses that do, truly splendid jobs. I love them all.
The same goes for the pacing, the dialogue, all of it. Making for such a terrific film experience.
No, not terrific. . . what word am I looking for?
Oh, yeah!

And regarding Luc Besson; Leon does feature prominently on my Profile page and I'm a fanboy of Besson's films since first seeing La Femme Nikita and knowing about his very, very young wives didn't change my enjoyment of his films when I read about them when The Fifth Element came out.

Movies Watched 5 out of 8 (62.5%)
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer[/quote]

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer

So, on the topic of liberties regarding historical films, what's everybody's take? Does the proximity of the event in question factor in? Is it more acceptable as the event or person in question gets further in time? I already explained my take on Braveheart's liberties, plus my opinion that only the fact that a film can bring a certain topic to the surface is enough. However, I can say I had some serious issues with the liberties that Herzog took on Rescue Dawn, particularly with his excessive glorification of Dieter Dengler, but moreover with the way he portrayed his fellow POW's. Not sure how I can differentiate my reaction to this with my reaction to Braveheart, but the main thing I can think of is the "recency", and the fact that most of the relatives of these POW's are still alive.

So, on the topic of liberties regarding historical films, what's everybody's take?
Most of the time I don't care. Hell my #1 and #2 favorite movies are historical fiction. About the only time I can recall it bothering me was in My Darling Clementine where they made Doc Holliday a surgeon and killed him at the O.K. Corral. Dude was a dentist who died of tuberculosis.

So, on the topic of liberties regarding historical films, what's everybody's take? Does the proximity of the event in question factor in? Is it more acceptable as the event or person in question gets further in time? I already explained my take on Braveheart's liberties, plus my opinion that only the fact that a film can bring a certain topic to the surface is enough. However, I can say I had some serious issues with the liberties that Herzog took on Rescue Dawn, particularly with his excessive glorification of Dieter Dengler, but moreover with the way he portrayed his fellow POW's. Not sure how I can differentiate my reaction to this with my reaction to Braveheart, but the main thing I can think of is the "recency", and the fact that most of the relatives of these POW's are still alive.
No film is actually factual.. if it was, it would be more documentary. I love historical films, as they are one of my favorite genres and many here can attest to it.

I will watch it no matter what but if I have some doubts, I do search the net. Same way with the novels I read

For the baby thing, I'm going to guess Million Dollar Baby first. I was going to go for a movie about a baby or a lifecycle like Children of Men, which is my second guess

The hint is not the check box stuff, go to Holden Pike's post halfway to the top of this post, the hint is in there, Yoda sent it earlier like 2 pages ago.
She was kidding.

Moving on!
See how they run from the truth! I see right through all the smoke and mirrors.

WARNING: spoilers below
In seriousness 2001 was my best guess based on the clue. I mean, that or Boss Baby.

2001 will definitely make the list, but chances are top 20 at the lowest rank based on what I've seen from other sites.

So, on the topic of liberties regarding historical films, what's everybody's take?
I take any biography/historical film with a big grain of salt. I think that the most problematic aspect of such liberties is that many people won't look into the history much further than what is in the film, and thus an inaccurate version of "the true story" becomes everyone's point of reference.

Like, it's a small detail, but in Hidden Figures the white male supervisor is the one who takes down the "Whites Only" sign on the bathroom. But in the book, it's clear that it was the Black female workers who kept taking down the sign (over and over until eventually no one replaced it). How do you take a real moment of defiance and shuffle it over to someone in a completely different level of power? I guess as a quick shorthand to show the sort-of alliance that developed?

It's kind of like in Marjorie Prime, where the characters tell the versions of events that they wish had happened, and eventually those are the "truths" being told.

I definitely understand the need to simplify and abridge complex historical events. And I actually think that it's fine for filmmakers to take a real event and make changes to fit a theme (as with the film Blue Caprice). But it bugs me knowing that some large slice of the population gets their history education from media that has knowingly changed events/characters to fit a narrative purpose.

@Thief

One of my favorite historical films is 288 minutes long and beautiful to look at. Is it historically accurate? I doubt there are many records of it. It has one of the best battle scenes. It's a foreign film of course and directed by one of the best directors of that country.

Her is very good, I don't have any criticism to explain why I don't like it that much, but I don't like it that much haha. It's not a movie I have the desire to rewatch, even if it's beautiful visually, with good acting a very interesting script and message. So, it's my fault not the movie's fault and I can't explain why haha. Maybe because I don't really like Joaquin PHoenix?

Braveheart is super entertaining, but I belive that if a movie claims to be historical and it has a lot of historical inaccuracy, then the movie has a huge problem. If you take the same story then Braveheart and give the characters and country fictitious names, I would like the movie a lot more.

Coming up with a list of 25 movies was a struggle for me. Most of my lists range from 3 to 5 entries. You could say I'm a...Tiny Lister.
Sad news. We lost Tommy "Tiny" Lister to COVID-19. R.I.P.

Idk to be sure, but I'll say the least you know, the better. There this magic and the power of "make-believe" arguably work better. Maybe, things from classical antiquity and beyond have a chance to work better in this genre.
As the more historical bits unravel, the more you realize the distortion leads to self-indulgence perversion. The other is, how it plays by the context, or just straight self-compromising it for the audiences.

So I think it doesn't simply translate just simply for the inaccuracies, because obviously, it's impossible subjectively hence the creative liberties. Hell, perhaps one can still enjoy it together with things like the kingdom of heaven, to a certain extent; but there this sheer negligence of these contradictory things: to be somewhat, spiritually historical vs how far its romanticization alter and imbued. Consciousness in a work as a dagger here.

if only it was based on Shakespeare's play. A distortion within a distortion maybe not that bad at all. It's poetic, at least.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's been a while since I watched Her, but I liked it. It didn't make my list, but I think it probably deserves its spot on this countdown.

I haven't seen Braveheart, and it doesn't seem like my type of movie, so I'm not likely to see it anytime soon.

It's been a while since I watched Her, but I liked it. It didn't make my list, but I think it probably deserves its spot on this countdown.

I haven't seen Braveheart, and it doesn't seem like my type of movie, so I'm not likely to see it anytime soon.
I could have written this post, word for word.

I don't think Her would make my own top 100, but then again, if it were up to me the #1 film on the list would be Martin or Brain Damage or something in that vein so . . .