John Carpenter's The Thing

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I like how Rodent bumped the thread just to end up making the same observation about the vodka bottle that he made five years and one page ago.

Anyway, if Suspiria can crack the all-time top 100 then I'm extremely confident that The Thing will make the list.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
If it does, how high do you reckon it'll be?
Probably not as high as it would be if I'd remembered to put in on my list.

I'll guess 55th

Probably not as high as it would be if I'd remembered to put in on my list
Likewise!

This one should be in the top 3 scifi horror films ever

I like how Rodent bumped the thread just to end up making the same observation about the vodka bottle that he made five years and one page ago.

Anyway, if Suspiria can crack the all-time top 100 then I'm extremely confident that The Thing will make the list.
Dang, I never even realised

My two posts are almost identical as well
Weird how stuff gets forgotten then re-realised, and you think it's an original idea.

And me I love the original thing from another world. I thought and many of my family and friends think the remake is not even worth watching.
Just like creature from the black lagoon, I thought I heard somewhere they are thinking of a reboot, not too sure how good it would be.
But I think they learned when they were going to try a breakfast club remake, you can’t remake a perfect 80s film and I’m so glad they didn’t try , it would’ve been terrible

MacReady is a Thing.

Along with my previous posts about the various things Mac gets up to and says...

I'm just watching now... and I've spotted a new one.

"It cut the power"
"That's suicide!"
"Not for that Thing. It wants to freeze now. Fall asleep in the cold until the rescue team finds it"
"Whadda we do?"
"Whatever happens we can't let that Thing freeze again. Maybe we'll just warm things up a little around here"

Mac says it wants to freeze until its found. Ok, the argument is that Mac and the other know this is how it can survive... freeze, wait, then respawn.
However...

Mac uses a double negative to knock the survivors (Nauls and Garry) off track.
He uses the case of "attack is the best defence"...

This "attack", will allow The Thing to freeze.

The Thing has learned to play mind games.
It knows freezing solid and awaiting a rescue team is its way out.
Mac, The Thing... basically goads the others into destroying their own only hope of survival.

Mac is a Thing.
No doubt in my mind.

^eh, but if the Thing had wrecked the generator by that point anyway then it's not like they had any real choice.

Somewhere between 30 and 60 - maybe closer to the former than the latter.
Just remembered this and in the end it managed to make it as high as #20. A pleasant surprise, then.

^eh, but if the Thing had wrecked the generator by that point anyway then it's not like they had any real choice.
Yeah but hoomuns can survive with a small space and a small fire, for quite a while.

Blaire cutting the power, Mac's reaction is... blow the base to holy-hell?
Does that make sense?

"We're going to kill The Thing, by giving it more cold and ensuring we definitely die"

Mac is a Thing.

I think that if one of the two are infected, it would most likely be Childs.

I don't think there's enough evidence which implies that MacReady could've been infected. After killing the giant alien in the end, he seemed to escaped the area in time before it blew up. Though sure, something could've gotten to him sometime after that (to be fair, it isn't stated whether Garry and Nauls were blown up in the blast when they were assimilated in the final act, which raises questions on their whereabouts). There's more evidence to indicate that Childs was infected though. In fact, in the room Childs was waiting in before he ran off into the snow, there was a staircase in there leading down to a room where Blair had access to (who had been infected long before that scene), meaning he could've easily gotten to him (there was also a fairly mysterious camera pan which drew attention to the staircase). I also found it strange that Childs would run off into the snow alone without telling the others since they were still fairly close by (or, at least, yell to them about it or motion for them to follow him), but idk. Maybe he just didn't think of that. Who knows.

Anyways, my money is still on Childs being infected.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
They released a comic book that continues the story, if anyone's interested in that.

The video game also ties in with it. I tried playing it years ago but I couldn't get into it.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

"How tall is King Kong ?"
It's a schoedinger cat. The ending is deliberately ambiguous. It's neither a secret puzzle with well placed clues to find, nor a reality with a historical truth to reveal. It's an open end. Meaning that any interpretation that "collapses its superposition" is wrong.

The vibe I get is that they're both humans (that creature would probably not relax, chat and toy with its next prey - okay forget the cat analogy then), but "knowing" it is not fun, neither is "knowing" one is -or both are- an alien. The cool ending is the incertitude : the viewers' and the characters' (maximized if it's both characters'). But It really doesn't strike me an an enigma movie. More of a straightforward lead-you-to-follow-my-tale movie. If there was an answer, it wouldn't be hidden, the spectators would be openly channeled to it. They are, to that ambiguity.

So if there are hints one way of the other, I imagine them to be overlooked by the writer or over-interpreted by the public. And I dismiss them to go back to what I assume the intended ending narration. The unknown (the actually undefined).

Victim of The Night
MacReady is a Thing.

Along with my previous posts about the various things Mac gets up to and says...

I'm just watching now... and I've spotted a new one.

"It cut the power"
"That's suicide!"
"Not for that Thing. It wants to freeze now. Fall asleep in the cold until the rescue team finds it"
"Whadda we do?"
"Whatever happens we can't let that Thing freeze again. Maybe we'll just warm things up a little around here"

Mac says it wants to freeze until its found. Ok, the argument is that Mac and the other know this is how it can survive... freeze, wait, then respawn.
However...

Mac uses a double negative to knock the survivors (Nauls and Garry) off track.
He uses the case of "attack is the best defence"...

This "attack", will allow The Thing to freeze.

The Thing has learned to play mind games.
It knows freezing solid and awaiting a rescue team is its way out.
Mac, The Thing... basically goads the others into destroying their own only hope of survival.

Mac is a Thing.
No doubt in my mind.
Not buying it.

Victim of The Night
It's a schoedinger cat. The ending is deliberately ambiguous. It's neither a secret puzzle with well placed clues to find, nor a reality with a historical truth to reveal. It's an open end. Meaning that any interpretation that "collapses its superposition" is wrong.

The vibe I get is that they're both humans (that creature would probably not relax, chat and toy with its next prey - okay forget the cat analogy then), but "knowing" it is not fun, neither is "knowing" one is -or both are- an alien. The cool ending is the incertitude : the viewers' and the characters' (maximized if it's both characters'). But It really doesn't strike me an an enigma movie. More of a straightforward lead-you-to-follow-my-tale movie. If there was an answer, it wouldn't be hidden, the spectators would be openly channeled to it. They are, to that ambiguity.

So if there are hints one way of the other, I imagine them to be overlooked by the writer or over-interpreted by the public. And I dismiss them to go back to what I assume the intended ending narration. The unknown (the actually undefined).
Agreed.

I love both The Thing from Another World and The 80's The Thing (Carpenter's version). The later iteration sucks. If you read the original novella, John Campbell's 1938 Who Goes There, it's obvious that Carpenter's version is much closer to that since it has a shape shifting monster. You can download Campbell's version on PD sites since copyrights have expired.

What I like about The Thing From Another World, however, it the low budget, cheap FX, WW II sort of feel, the conversational banter, the urgent sense of danger and the fact that they don't show the costumed humanoid monster very much. The brief glimpses are enough to convince you that it's a monster, without much detail. Christian Nyby did a great job with a "buddy movie" in that one

Yeah but hoomuns can survive with a small space and a small fire, for quite a while.

Blaire cutting the power, Mac's reaction is... blow the base to holy-hell?
Does that make sense?

"We're going to kill The Thing, by giving it more cold and ensuring we definitely die"

Mac is a Thing.
Even so, that still seems like a vulnerable and untenable position - few enough people left that they can't even set up a sentry system because they can't trust the person on watch to avoid infection, no telling when the rescue team will come and whether they'll survive long enough to warn them, and also the question of whether they even have the resources to build a fire and sustain themselves for that long (not to mention how anti-climactic that would be). I don't think Mac's plan is necessarily Thing logic so much as it is an extension of who he already was - his first scene shows him pouring a drink into a chess computer when it's checkmated him and that foreshadows him deciding to blow up the base rather than let the Thing win.