The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

lol Step Brothers is #26 on my favorite 100 movies list, phew my 25 movies list is safe

This masterpiece directed by Guy Maddin was my (succesful) shot at a one-pointer:

The Saddest Music in the World (2003)

It stars Isabella Rosselini as a character whose legs are made from glass and filled with beer. If that doesn't convince you to watch this, I don't know what will!

lol, i just see again my list and... I think i misremembered my 24th and 25th. That's why i hate to rank it.

Well, obviously for the two pointers!

Are the one pointers and two pointers like honorable mentions? kinda confused on what that means?

Are the one pointers and two pointers like honorable mentions? kinda confused on what that means?
One Pointers are films that received exactly one point, which means one person had them at 25th (1st is worth 25 points, 2nd is worth 24...so 25th is worth one)...and had no other votes from anyone else.

A lot of people like to put weird films at #25 hoping to get them a little extra recognition this way. It's an unofficial way, for some, of giving oddball films a little spotlight before the countdown starts.

It's also a form of low-level trolling sometimes, to be blunt.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Huh. I thought Dead Poets was my 25th but looking back I guess it's deeper in my working 100.

So it begins.

A system of cells interlinked
Somebody voted for a furry documentary?
My guess is it is Minio trolling the list...

I'm the one who had Dead Poets Society at #25, I'm very surprised that I was the only one with it on my list. I had it more because it's the first movie that really grabbed y guts and made me realize the power of cinema when I was 16. I rewatched it a couple of times since then and it has some serious flaws in my opinion. There are probably a lot of films that weren't on my list that are better, but I had to include it for its significance for my love of cinema.

I love A Man for All Seasons, it didn't made my list, but probably would have made my top 100 or 150!

One Pointers are films that received exactly one point, which means one person had them at 25th (1st is worth 25 points, 2nd is worth 24...so 25th is worth one)...and had no other votes from anyone else.

A lot of people like to put weird films at #25 hoping to get them a little extra recognition this way. It's an unofficial way, for some, of giving oddball films a little spotlight before the countdown starts.

It's also a form of low-level trolling sometimes, to be blunt.
How many pointers are there? 2 only?

How many pointers are there? 2 only?
Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean.

I'll rephrase a bit to see if that clears things up: you can list up to 25 films, and the very last film on your ballot gets ONE point (second to last gets two points, and so on). The One Pointers are what we call films that were last on someone's ballot and got NO OTHER VOTES on ANY other ballot. So when we add all the points for all the films up, these are the films that had exactly...one point.

So, they're not films that just missed the cut or anything like that. To the contrary: they're the films that got the lowest possible score (except for all the films that nobody voted for at all, of course).

Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean.

I'll rephrase a bit to see if that clears things up: you can list up to 25 films, and the very last film on your ballot gets ONE point (second to last gets two points, and so on). The One Pointers are what we call films that were last on someone's ballot and got NO OTHER VOTES on ANY other ballot. So when we add all the points for all the films up, these are the films that had exactly...one point.

So, they're not films that just missed the cut or anything like that. To the contrary: they're the films that got the lowest possible score (except for all the films that nobody voted for at all, of course).

I think he means "how many pointer lists are there," assuming there's also a two-pointers list.

I'm the one who had Dead Poets Society at #25, I'm very surprised that I was the only one with it on my list. I had it more because it's the first movie that really grabbed y guts and made me realize the power of cinema when I was 16.

I got that same feeling when I was 18 when I watched Chinatown for the first time. Hell, that movie is solely responsible for convincing me to record every movie I've ever seen in one list.

I think he means "how many pointer lists are there," assuming there's also a two-pointers list.
Yea that's what I mean, is there only 2 or is there more

Clay Pigeons was mine, obviously. I had it at #16 back in 2010. I figured nobody else would vote for it so I stuck it last this time.

Here's what I said about it in my Joaquin thread:

Clay Birdwell

Clay Pigeons, 1998
Directed by David Dobkin

This role is a little different than most in that he's playing the straight man in a comedy, rather than the comic relief in a non-comedy film. Phoenix still gets some laughs as Clay, a man who's been sleeping with his best friend's wife and must cover up the truth when that friend commits suicide in his presence because of the affair. Not long afterwards, he unknowingly befriends a charming serial killer and when that killer's victims start turning up, the FBI turns their eyes on Clay as their prime suspect.

For me Vince Vaughn is the real star of the show as that killer, but Phoenix really brings to life Clay's feelings of shock, panic, and rage as things spiral out of control and he finds himself in one seriously hellish situation.

The film was also produced by both Ridley and Tony Scott (under their Scott Free Productions), which helped to get his foot in the door for a certain iconic role that would come just a couple years later.

Film Rating:
-
Hotness Factor: 4 out of 5 (A little more wiry than I normally go for, but he looks pretty damn good in flannel.)
Write-Ups: October 31, 2019
Sad to see Army of Darkness score only one point. It used to be a top ten favorite for me.

Yea that's what I mean, is there only 2 or is there more
We do a one pointer list and the main list. Some hosts also do the "also rans" or the top ten movies that barely missed the cut.