The Resident Bitch Prepares for the MoFo 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Gladiator (Ridley Scott, 2000)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/14/2021
Rewatch: Yes.

I had intended to watch a whole lot more movies for the 2000s countdown than I have, but with all the things I've been dealing with, I lost my momentum and struggled to get it back. But after two weeks of checking in and seeing this slightly annoying thread floating around, I decided to treat myself to Gladiator.

And, damn it, it is a treat. No, the movie's story isn't nuanced or complicated nor are its characters. It presents you with a handsome, noble hero that is easy to root for and a creepy-ass villain that you love to hate. Everything is pretty damn black and white. There are no shades of gray, but this isn't a movie that needs nuance. It doesn't need to be complicated. It's a spectacle. A great, big, bloated spectacle with glorious battle scenes, breathtaking cinematography and effects, and a score that leaves my heart pounding, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Gladiator (Ridley Scott, 2000)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/14/2021
Rewatch: Yes.

I had intended to watch a whole lot more movies for the 2000s countdown than I have, but with all the things I've been dealing with, I lost my momentum and struggled to get it back. But after two weeks of checking in and seeing this slightly annoying thread floating around, I decided to treat myself to Gladiator.

And, damn it, it is a treat. No, the movie's story isn't nuanced or complicated nor are is its characters. It presents you with a handsome, noble hero that is easy to root for and a creepy-ass villain that you love to hate. Everything is pretty damn black and white. There are no shades of gray, but this isn't a movie that needs nuance. It doesn't need to be complicated. It's a spectacle. A great, big, bloated spectacle with glorious battle scenes, breathtaking cinematography and effects, and a score that leaves my heart pounding, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Pretty much, yeah; I mean, I like shades of grey in movies about as much as anyone else, but how can you care about that when you've got that melodramatic Hans Zimmer score booming away as Maximus & Commodus ascend into the Colosseum?:

The trick is not minding
Had to cut Gladiator from my ballot, but rest assured, Quills will be highly rated. I’m anticipating a top ten showing for Quills, in fact.