Movies You Really Like But Can Not Explain It?

Tools    

There are loads of these films. I was thinking of this category the other day. Persona is a great example as it is about lots and lots of things with clear themes and subplots but no real overall message / plot. Yet it is undoubtedly one of the greatest films ever made, the performances are sublime, the direction and sense of paranoia, isolation, confusion and self doubt is brilliantly managed by Bergman and the cinematography by Nyqvist is off the charts.

Can you describe what it is about in one short sentence? I can't. It would be very lazy just to pigeon hole it and say "It's about mental illness". Because it would do the film a disservice. Some of David Lynch's cinema is similar. I'm not saying it's impossible to describe these films. Just that I find it very difficult as they exist in a sort of ethereal, poetic sub-genre that I find absolutely intoxicating.

Other films I have really enjoyed but would have a very difficult time explaining what they are about in a short sentence:

-Upstream Color
-The Double Life of Veronique
-Werckmeister Harmonies
-Woman in the Dunes
-Underground
-Maborosi
-The Passenger
-Code Unknown
-Beau Travail
-Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... And Spring
-On Body and Soul
-Apples
-The Fountain
-Uzak
-The Banishment
-An Elephant Sitting Still
-Drive my Car
-Kaili Blues
-Long Day's Journey into Night
-Taste of Cherry
-Most of Achipatpong Weeraseethkul's films
-Meshes of the Afternoon
-Carnival of Souls
-The Color of Pomegranates
-The White Ribbon
-Eternity and a Day

Definetly Solstice

I don't actually wear pants.
I can always explain why I like a movie. Now, the most atypical out of my list of favorite movies would probably be the Korean My Sassy Girl. It's hilarious and poignant yet not in a genre, rom com, I typically enjoy. I've watched My Sassy Girl a handful of times, and it never ceases to entertain. I keep forgetting I have it available to watch...

I can always explain why I like a movie. Now, the most atypical out of my list of favorite movies would probably be the Korean My Sassy Girl. It's hilarious and poignant yet not in a genre, rom com, I typically enjoy. I've watched My Sassy Girl a handful of times, and it never ceases to entertain. I keep forgetting I have it available to watch...
Ha. I love that film. I think I'm right in saying that it was the first feature film adapted from an internet-written true story.

I don't actually wear pants.
Ha. I love that film. I think I'm right in saying that it was the first feature film adapted from an internet-written true story.
Hooray! As for your bit of trivia, I honestly don't know either way, but I'd hazard a guess it's one of the first if not the first, as you stated. I've always found it hilarious. It's the second Korean film I ever watched (the first being The Good, the Bad, the Weird), and helped spark my interest in South Korean cinema.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I always think it's easier to explain why you dislike a film than why you like it. Sometimes it's just too subjective for analysis. How can you explain exactly why you find something funny? Or why a love story touches you emotionally? Sometimes I know why I like a film but I don't know why I like it so much more than other films.

i'm not sure if this thread is about movies that you're unable to explain why you like them or movies you like but don't grasp the meaning of. if its the former, i have no idea why Barbie in the Nutcracker, the most basic, unspecial children's adventure film you can imagine, still hasn't left my mind or my heart since i saw it. if its the latter, i don't really understand peoples fixation on "meaning" in film. like idk i don't go up to a painting and try to glean answers from it i just take it in and let it affect me.