Doctor Who

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Doctor Who is back!

Matt Smith now stars as the eleventh doctor. His assistant is named Amy Pond. She's a young woman (again) but at least she's not from London, but a small town in Scotland.

I'll admit I was dubious about this new series but I watched the first episode last week and was pleasantly surprised. The new titles are a bit rubbish but the new Tardis design is nice and steampunk and generally it was very enjoyable.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
The new Doctor premieres here next Saturday night. I can't wait.

Thanks for that little bit of a review. This is kinda hard, since I absolutely love the show, but I adored Tennant. I hope I like this new guy.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I just cannot get into Dr Who at all I remember watching it back in the day when I was young and the Darlicks where in it but I really lost interest and it just seems to cheesy for me at the moment. Im probably in the minority here who dont like it which is strange because I love Sci-Fi etc but I just cant get in to it.

Here's a good reason to 'get into it', n3wt.

Caught the last 15 minutes of Saturday's episode. I'm out of the habit of watching it but, as The Tennant Idiot (I can't have be the only straight male who hates him, can I?) is gone now, hopefully I can start watching again.

OK, one more pic.

The second episode was very good, I thought. A bit daft, genuinely creepy and kind of touching all at once. Borrowed a bit from the Prisoner but if this standard keeps up it could be the best series yet.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I rarely catch the Doc, but saw last night's. Thought the plot was pretty classy (until the kid-friendly 'don't do bad things you silly bad people' ending. Thought they coulda fleshed that out a bit more...

WARNING: "DW" spoilers below
If the whale-thing wanted to help out why would they have needed to torture it etc to get compliance? Thought a few more lines woulda made that bit less 'bad politicians do bad coz they're bad' etc.

Aside from that loved the parochial spaceship/despotism deal, with the Liv Ten stuff & voting/memory-wipe business too.

Okay, I'm an idiot. Either that or I have ADHD, lol.

I WROTE on my calendar to watch the episode Saturday night... and then forgot. I need to see if it is on Demand.

I discovered my idiocy when today, one of my students came rushing in and yelled, "Ms. M..., did you see Doctor Who Saturday night? It was great! The new Doctor is soooooo hot!"

She's 13.

I have surely created a new Doctor Who fan (I showed a Doctor Who episode to my Media students.) And the new Doctor is apparently hot.

Episode 3 was a bit rubbish Won't say too much since I think US viewers are a week behind?

I don't find the new Doctor hot. Although I do think he's cool in a fantastically geeky way

I like the new Doctor. He looks like one of those young people who's actually an eccentric 50 year old. I thought weeks was ok, but I love the Daleks and the end battle reminded me a bit of Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow.

Actually, I'm in the US and I'm two weeks behind. I just saw the first episode.

My son wasn't interested in Doctor Who when I was watching all the David Tennant shows, but he watched this with me and he's watching it again, he liked it so much. So now there's another fan in the family. We went back and watched the Mars episode and he liked Tennant, but he LOVES this new Doctor. (Of course, he did see the Doctor at his worst... in terms of his morality.)

I think it was a good episode. I loved the new TARDIS, and I liked the whole set up of the story with the girl. I also enjoyed the room at the end of the hall.

The jury is still out about whether Matt Smith will be as good as Tennant in my eyes, but the preview of future episodes looked pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Honeykid, I like that description -- he does seem like a 50 year old eccentric in a young man's body. Maybe that is why they cast him.

I don't know; after seeing the first 4 episodes of this season, then going back and watching a bunch of Tennant shows (we bought seasons 2,3,4), I don't feel Smith has the same "gravitas" that Tennant had. He seems too young and empty to me when I compare the two men.

This 4th episode was fun with the weeping angels, but this is where I was beginning to feel a loss with Smith as the Doctor. He doesn't have the necessary charisma, imo. I felt like I was watching a kid playing grown up (with Tennant as the grown up).

Anyone else feeling a bit changed? Not as excited as before?

I have it on in the background rather than watching it intently, for the most part, so I could be very wrong, but I feel it has more to do with the writing than the acting. Of course, if you don't think that Smith has the gravitas or charisma to pull off the role maybe I'm not approaching it the same way you are. I feel that the stories have been 'less adult' than they were when I left it, after the first series.

BBC lets you watch them on demand (for free on my service), so I'll probably be seeing a bunch of episodes. The first two were pretty fun.

Rumours are flying all over the internet that Davies is doing a big screen adaptation and guess who has been "confirmed" to play the Doctor?

Johnny Depp.

I personally like it. I think he's a great choice. Funny, though, I've read a ton of comments in the articles where people are going nuts! They think it is a sacrilege that an American would play the Doctor.

What do you think?

Btw, just google "doctor who johnny depp," and you'll see a ton of articles.

Yep, the rumor was killed pretty fast.

OKAY!!! Who saw the finale of this season?!!

I thought it was pretty great, I especially liked Part 1 of it. Very different than the Davies' finales--less epic, lol--and I love how Moffat likes to play with time. The time travel has always fascinated me.

So, what did anyone think??

Finale already? I'm so behind on this b*tch...