Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

By May be found at the following website: http://www.qetic.jp/?p=73681, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=34226524

Himizu - (2011)

Japanese angst and dismay over the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, and subsequent disaster at the Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Plant are captured painfully and quite beautifully by Himizu, which focuses on one teenage boy, Yuichi (Shôta Sometani) whose life was brutally hard before all of those things happened to his world. His father continually beats him, and when drunk tells him he wishes he'd died so he could collect on the insurance money. His mother is having an affair and has one foot out the door already. His neighbours inside the disaster zone all live in improvised huts, and the family is getting by hiring out boats. Yuichi also has to endure the attentions of a female classmate who has a crush on him - to an obsessive degree, and will stop at nothing to become part of his life. When Yuichi's rage finally erupts in devastating violence, his whole world is torn asunder and he becomes drawn to a pistol a Yakuza left for him - his only way out of this nightmare. I was quite taken by this film, which has an incredibly powerful ending that it builds towards in a crescendo of emotion, fury, sorrow and hopelessness. A little more of it's 129 minute running time could have been trimmed - but I was left with the impression I'd seen a premier Japanese film based around the events of 2011 - close to being a classic.

8/10
would be interesting to know what this film was originally supposed to be. apparently the script was written (as well as being based on a preexisting manga) before the earthquake and then rewritten afterwards. same director did a film specifically about the Fukushima nuclear disaster as well that i remember being pretty good.

Hmm, I have neither.
Tubi is free and web-based.

I forgot the opening line.
I was gonna watch it this month for my September thread but I adapted my thread into something else.
I'll have to find another good time. I don't feel like it's a movie I can just watch on a Sunday afternoon or something, I have too much invested in its possibility.
High expectations are a real test of a movie's worth, so I hope you still enjoy it - and you were absolutely right to schedule a time to watch it where you can really settle and focus on everything.

would be interesting to know what this film was originally supposed to be. apparently the script was written (as well as being based on a preexisting manga) before the earthquake and then rewritten afterwards. same director did a film specifically about the Fukushima nuclear disaster as well that i remember being pretty good.
Reading a little of the manga online, it seems pretty close to what we got in the film, but it was a great idea to center everything around that real-life catastrophe - it really provides a fitting context for what happens. I'm going to keep an eye out for more Sion Sono films - after reading more about them after seeing this, they seem worth seeking out.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Reading a little of the manga online, it seems pretty close to what we got in the film, but it was a great idea to center everything around that real-life catastrophe - it really provides a fitting context for what happens. I'm going to keep an eye out for more Sion Sono films - after reading more about them after seeing this, they seem worth seeking out.
The guy's a piece of shit but he's made some films that are really important to me lmao.

Blue Jay (2016)

Never heard of it before it was mentioned is Goodies thread. It's a Netflix movie and it's still on so gave it a shot. Only 85 minutes long and except for a brief scene in a store, it's just 2 characters. High school sweethearts, and that seems to be underselling the relationship, bump into each other after many years and spend several hours together. There were and still are very strong feelings. It's nostalgic, humorous, and emotional. Change the last 15 minutes a little and this could have been a truly special film. I don't think I could have expected much more, it must have been made for shit money. Wifey enjoyed it as much as I did.

I was gonna watch it this month for my September thread but I adapted my thread into something else.
I'll have to find another good time. I don't feel like it's a movie I can just watch on a Sunday afternoon or something, I have too much invested in its possibility.

Have you not seen it before?

Weirdly, "a Sunday afternoon watch," of Picnic doesn't sound inappropriate. Though it'd probably fair better that way as a rewatch.
Granted, I guess the dreamlike state of the movie does mesh with my idea of how I am mentally on a Sunday afternoon.

Excellent movie from 1958. Both leads are really good. A classic of British cinema.

Yes, but they are pretty spaced out.

It's free on Kanopy, which you can get free (no commercials) with a library card.

It's also a $2 rental on Amazon.

The Woman King (2022) This was great! As expected, Viola Davis is very good and there are strong performances from Thuso Mbedu and Lashana Lynch. The film is entertaining and well directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood. Cinematography is really nice and the score is effective as well. The Woman King is an enjoyable and satisfying film and would make my current top 10 list of the year. My rating is

Obsession (The Hidden Room) - 1949 British crime thriller starring Robert Newton as psychiatrist Dr. Clive Riordan. He's unhappily married to serial adulteress Storm (Sally Gray) and has been biding his time in order to catch her in the act with her latest dalliance. That happens to be young American Bill Kronin (Phil Brown) and when Clive lies in wait and catches them in his own home it leads to a confrontation of sorts. I say "of sorts" because this being a British production it transpires in typical urbane fashion. Drinks are served and civil discourse is undertaken. The upshot being that Storm ... well, storms off. This is after Clive makes use of a pistol and fires a warning shot, then slaps his deceitful spouse. It's all part of his well considered plan to humiliate his wife. To further punish his wife the next step is to spirit Bill away to an undisclosed location and hold him prisoner. Clive taunts Bill and assures him that he will eventually kill him and even goes so far as to reveal how he will dispose of his body.

This was rather an effective mystery/thriller with the triumvirate of Newton, Gray and Brown contributing meaningfully to the proceedings. Naunton Wayne shows up more than halfway through and ups the ante as Scotland Yard Superintendent Finsbury. He's been alerted by way of an anonymous letter about Clive's dodgy behavior and it isn't long before the mild mannered Finsbury is hot on his trail. Newton does a fine job as the cuckolded husband and the movie never goes out of it's way to paint anyone as a true villain or victim. It finishes on an upbeat almost cheerful note and in truth the only one of the protagonists who ends up looking remotely unsympathetic is Storm Riordan. But they don't rub the viewer's face in it. It's more of a nonchalant, c'est la vie ending.

85/100

The Woman King (2022) This was great! As expected, Viola Davis is very good and there are strong performances from Thuso Mbedu and Lashana Lynch. The film is entertaining and well directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood. Cinematography is really nice and the score is effective as well. The Woman King is an enjoyable and satisfying film and would make my current top 10 list of the year. My rating is
I'm expecting this to be hilariously stupid and a complete rewriting of actual history.

I'm expecting this to be hilariously stupid and a complete rewriting of actual history.
It's definitely not stupid. It may not be completely historically accurate, but it is well made and entertaining.