Directors That Projected Their "dark side" Into Their Films?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Stanley Kubrick. I think his "dark side" was inside him, and I think he was generally curious. I wish there were more interviews of him. There's one that's 2-3 hours - really, really great, but some prefer the myth..... There's articles (not sure of the validity) of Nicole Kidman supposedly saying that Kubrick told her "The world is run by pedophiles" during the making of "Eyes Wide Shut". I've seen many documentaries on him, and have listened to every interview available, and he seemed to be interested in politics/power/war.

John Cassavetes - if you read the book, "Cassavetes on Cassavetes (which I HIGHLY recommend - found it for free online) really shows someone who was definitely his own man, and did some crazy shit, but for a reason.

There's so many stories. One is how he rode the bus downtown, and on the way, laughed non-stop. On the way uptown, he cried non-stop. Maybe it was an acting exercise he was trying out on himself, but he definitely "tricked" the system, and was so devil-ish (in a good way) and I consider him America's greatest director.

Alfred Hitchcock's fears and phobias were definitely represented in many of his films. He was terrified of the police and jail. His father had the police agree to have him locked up for a night as punishment for something or other, and Hitch was never able to shake it.

He had a fascination for the macabre, and also for some relationships that were considered very kinky in that time. He had a love hate relationship with some of his leading actresses, and some of that is reflected in his pictures.

Alfred Hitchcock's fears and phobias were definitely represented in many of his films. He was terrified of the police and jail. His father had the police agree to have him locked up for a night as punishment for something or other, and Hitch was never able to shake it.

He had a fascination for the macabre, and also for some relationships that were considered very kinky in that time. He had a love hate relationship with some of his leading actresses, and some of that is reflected in his pictures.

Right.. "Marnie" - with the color red (for obvious reasons). I heard he was very controlling, especially with that actress, Tippi Hedren. She was once on a date with Mort Sahl, and she said if he could just drop her off to Hitchock's movie wrap party and not come in, "There's no reason we can't still see each other, but Hitch thinks you're going to ruin my life" and an angry Mort stopped in traffic, and told her to get out, "Don't be late for the party!"

Lars von Trier

Right.. "Marnie" - with the color red (for obvious reasons). I heard he was very controlling, especially with that actress, Tippi Hedren. She was once on a date with Mort Sahl, and she said if he could just drop her off to Hitchock's movie wrap party and not come in, "There's no reason we can't still see each other, but Hitch thinks you're going to ruin my life" and an angry Mort stopped in traffic, and told her to get out, "Don't be late for the party!"
Mort sounds like such a gentleman.

Sounds like Mort was the one who was controlling when he told Tippi to get out of the car in traffic, geez.

Here is the full quote from Mort Sahl's autobiography "Heartland"

"I used to go out with a girl named Tippie Hedren, whom Hitchcock discovered. One day he gave a cast party for her when she was making the movie The Birds, and I was driving her up to the Beverly Wilshire to attend it. She said, "Please don't come in. Hitch doesn't like you. He says if I hang around with you, you'll ruin things. There's no reason why we have to break up. He just can't see you. He's somewhat possessive." So I said, "What do you mean I'll ruin your life?" "Hitch said you ruined Phyllis Kirke's life. And you ruined Shirley MacLaine's life." I stopped the car in the middle of traffic and threw her out. I said, "Don't be late for the party!" She said, "Mort, I'm an actress. And that's as dedicated a profession as a doctor's. You've got to understand that." Trying to grasp the analogy, I said, "I don't follow you. If I don't go to see one of your movies, I won't die." I drove away. I wonder what it is about all these beautiful girls -- that is, when you walk away from them, let alone break up with them, you feel like you just got out of Folsom Prison".

Hahahahahahaha! How bold

Here is the full quote from Mort Sahl's autobiography "Heartland"

" I wonder what it is about all these beautiful girls -- that is, when you walk away from them, let alone break up with them, you feel like you just got out of Folsom Prison".

That is a classic quote! I wonder what kind of bayotch I would have been if I was beautiful.

That is a classic quote! I wonder what kind of bayotch I would have been if I was beautiful.

I wonder how long it would be before I got divorced/broken-up. Maybe the imagination is better? Maybe the movies set people up for a fairy-tale and always come up short. I have no idea. I just wonder a lot about a lot of things.

The truth is in here
Hitchcock and Mort both come off as massive jerks in this scenario. Hitchcock for trying to control who Tippi dates, and Mort for rudely throwing her out of the car before she arrived to the party, in traffic nonetheless.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
You can't convince me Satoshi Kon didn't.

It's an obvious answer, but David Lynch. The dark side of things are what his movies are all about, after all. It could explain why he's such a peaceful guy.

George Lucas. Not kidding - the fall of democracy does seem pretty dark.

I wonder how long it would be before I got divorced/broken-up. Maybe the imagination is better? Maybe the movies set people up for a fairy-tale and always come up short. I have no idea. I just wonder a lot about a lot of things.
I think Rita probably said it best when she said "They go to bed with Gilda; they wake up with me."

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra