The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

As for the fans of The Devil's Rejects, what are your thoughts on the whole trilogy? I didn't really like House of 1000 Corpses, although it did show some glimmer of skill from Zombie. @Derek Vinyard? @Captain Spaulding? @cricket? @Rockatansky?

Wow, apparently there are 12 film/TV adaptations of Pride and Prejudice. @Chypmunk said he prefers the 1995 TV mini-series with Colin Firth. So anyone else has any preference?
Not me, the wife does. I've never seen any of them

As for the fans of The Devil's Rejects, what are your thoughts on the whole trilogy? I didn't really like House of 1000 Corpses, although it did show some glimmer of skill from Zombie. @Derek Vinyard? @Captain Spaulding? @cricket? @Rockatansky?
I found House of 1000 Corpses enjoyable enough, but it is much rougher around the edges. Some people prefer the lighter tone, but the southern fried meanness of Rejects is much more to my taste. I still need to see 3 From Hell.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
93. Pride & Prejudice

To start with, gradually and absolutely unintentionally, I've become an expert in these Jane Austen adaptations during the last ten or something years, watching them numerous of times. All this thanks to my fiancee who is crazy about the 1995 TV series starring Colin Firth. The series together with the 2005 movie been constantly broadcasted on variety of TV channels around here during the 2010's. I can say, I've seen all episodes and the movie at least seven times for a decade.

Generally, these are pleasant films to watch with very nice epoch presentation. The cast is always on top level.
As for the 2005 movie, Keira Knightley is the only disputable point among the fans. For me, she is ok. I usually wait for the scenes with Donald Sutherland and Judi Dench, what a feast...

Anyway, I've never considered this film for my list of the 2000's. Maybe, as I always say, if we had a ballot of 50 then it probably would be my #41.
---

So far seen 4 out of 8.
None of them in my list.

Wow, apparently there are 12 film/TV adaptations of Pride and Prejudice. @Chypmunk said he prefers the 1995 TV mini-series with Colin Firth. So anyone else has any preference?
The 1995 miniseries is great. As with many adaptations of a novel, doing it as a miniseries lets you get more of the story on the screen and give the characters time to breathe. A challenge of doing Austen in a film is that her characters move toward and away from each other like ocean waves, and in a more condensed film form, it can feel too fast. The development of the relationship between Darcy and Lizzie takes time because they are both strong-willed people.

I do really like the 2005 film. It's really gorgeous and I liked Knightly's take on Lizzie. I also saw it in the theater and there was a young woman (like 14 or 15) who clearly didn't know the story and her reactions were priceless. When you find out that Darcy warned Bingley away from Jane, she was like *GASP*. I think that in terms of film adaptations of Austen, it's right up there with Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility. It LOOKS like a big-budget film, which I also appreciate.

I don't think this one was on my ballot, but I definitely respect it being on the list.

I haven't seen the next two, which makes it harder to leave a hint... but I'll try anyway

Suffering alone
Suffering in three
Tied to a chair
A clown smiling with glee
Wanted and House of 1000 Corpses?

EDIT: Well, nevermind.

I've seen The Devil's Rejects about 4-5 times. One of my friends was an early adopter and insisted on showing it to everyone he knew. Which meant since I was living with him at the time that it would be a new viewing each and every time.

Personally, can't stand it. But I'll admit there's some moments of art about from the ending to some of the repartee throughout. A bit too ugly for my taste...I prefer House of 1000 Corpses.

Haven't seen Pride and Prejudice (any version).

Just wanted to point out that, as announced, my one pointer made it. It was Idiots and Angels, directed by the great independent animator Billy Plympton! Be sure to give the trailer a watch.

I remember being absolutely in love with this film the first time I watched it. Plympton's use of animation is ridiculously original and creative. Nothing like I'd ever experienced before. This film was also #10 on my top 25 animated movies list back in the day. If you like the trailer: definitely give it a watch sometime, just like the rest of Plympton's fantastic oeuvre (especially his 2013 feature length film Cheatin', which I also deeply adored).

Of the two new ones, have not seen the Rob Zombie movie as it's really not my type of entertainment. As for Pride and Prejudice, I did consider putting it on my list because I really enjoy this movie, mainly for Keira Knightley, whom I love! I thought she was excellent in this. Also great in the acting department were Donald Sutherland, who rarely does wrong in my book, and Judi Dench, who has a small but super role in the film. And really, the entire supporting cast is fine, with Matthew Macfadyen doing a fine job as dour-but-not-really Mr. Darcy, and for the guys, c'mon! Besides Keira, there's also Rosamund Pike, Talulah Riley, Carey Mulligan, Jena Malone, and Kelly Reilly. * But the movie, without considering the adorable ladies, is really excellent and action-lover that I am, I found myself drawn in quite easily into this film. It's a winner but I had to cut it from my list because of movies that I watch more often and therefore love more. Very interesting list so far, with variety, but then the "aughts" did have its share of variety, so cool on all counts!

EDIT: Also, @Thief, I'm really liking the Rotten Tomatoes rankings. Good addition!

Awards

Some of the awards received by The Devil's Rejects...

• Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Wide-Release Film and Scariest Film
  • Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Screenplay (Rob Zombie)
  • Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Actor (Sid Haig), Supporting Actor (William Forsythe), and Supporting Actress (Leslie Easterbrook)
  • Scream Awards for Best Horror Movie

Among several others.

As for Pride & Prejudice, it won...

• BAFTA for Most Promising Newcomer (Joe Wright)
  • Empire Award for Best British Film
  • London Film Critics' Circle Award for British Director of the Year (Wright)
  • London Film Critics' Circle Award for British Supporting Actor of the Year (Tom Hollander)

House of 1000 Corpses and Rejects are very different to me. Corpses is amusing but I see it as more of a horror comedy which isn't really my taste. Rejects is more a horror/crime which is very much my taste. Two totally different tones and styles. Part 3 is closer to Rejects, not as good but I totally enjoyed it.

I forgot the opening line.
Having seen almost all of the Millennium list I was pretty sure there'd only be a few movies on this list I haven't seen - but the results lately have been surprising the heck out of me. Although I recently watched Howard's End and Little Women and having Mansfield Park and Room With a View lined up for a watch soon, I haven't seen Pride & Prejudice yet. I watched one of those horror films with Sid Haig in ages ago, but I don't think it was The Devil's Rejects, and the one I did see has nearly completely evaporated from my memory.

So now it's 3/8 - but I remain confident that films I've seen are gonna start popping along regularly soon.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Trivia

The Devil's Rejects

Did you know that...
  • the names of the characters (Firefly, Captain Spaulding, and Otis B. Driftwood) all come from characters from Groucho Marx' films?
  • the film went through the MPAA eight times before it went from an NC-17 to an R rating? Censors had issues with the overall tone, specifically during a motel scene between Bill Moseley and Priscilla Barnes.
  • One scene between Sheri Moon and William Forsythe was so emotionally draining that she didn't come to work for two days after?
  • Rob Zombie told William Forsythe that the basis for the Sheriff character was Lee Marvin and Robert Shaw?

Trivia

Pride & Prejudice

Did you know that...
  • Keira Knightley was a fan of Jane Austen since she was a little girl, but feared taking the role because she felt she would be doing "an absolute copy of Jennifer Ehle's performance" (from the 1995 TV mini-series)?
  • Director Joe Wright changed the setting from 1813 to late 18th Century because he wanted to highlight the differences within an England influenced by the French Revolution?
  • Emma Thompson did an uncredited and unpaid re-write of the script?
  • Wright cast Donald Sutherland because he reminded him of his own father?

Once again, I haven't seen the next two, complicating my options for hints. I'll remind all of you that the bold lines on yesterday's hint still apply to the next entry...

Suffering alone
Suffering in three
Tied to a chair
A clown smiling with glee
While the next one, I think is the first musical to appear on the list. There it is. I'm off to bed