Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Steel Helmet -

I enjoyed this lean and mean Korean War movie by Samuel Fuller as The Breakfast Club on the battlefield. I say this because as soon as our hulking, grizzled, no-nonsense Sgt. Zack - a very good Gene Evans - wakes up from a firefight that took out the rest of his squad, he meets a young South Korean man (whom he dubs Short Round) followed by other survivors of disparate backgrounds. They include a black medic, a private whose scarlet fever deprived him of his hair to a Japanese American Zack served with in the past and whom he affectionately calls "Buddha Head." Several questions rise from their interactions from why minorities like Thompson and Buddha Head bother fighting for America in spite of their poor treatment at home to whether the mental health of military lifers like Zack is properly treated or even considered. The latter comes to light in the movie's depiction of the "fog of war," which is both literal and imagined in a memorable climactic moment when Zack stands up, sees nothing but gun smoke and forgets whether he's fighting the North Koreans or the Germans. Like that John Hughes movie, it does not have much of a plot, but that is not a drawback since its conversations, reveals, resolutions of prejudices, what have you are more than enough to carry it forward. This is a war movie first and foremost, however, and when that's apparent, it's relentless and terrifying, especially in the aforementioned climax that occurs while our ragtag bunch takes refuge in a Buddhist temple. The finale drags a bit more than I would have liked, though, and kudos goes to Fuller and company for delivering on a low budget, but there are times when the cost cuts take away from the movie's poignancy, especially in the overuse of stock footage and in an obviously fake tank. Still, for its strong performances, uncompromising battle scenes and fearlessness in discussing still-taboo topics - the latter of which led kickstarted an FBI investigation and calls for Fuller's arrest, which I consider a victory - it's a highlight of Fuller's filmography.
Park Row is another good Fuller/Evans combo. Saw that one recently and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Park Row is another good Fuller/Evans combo. Saw that one recently and enjoyed it quite a bit.
Thanks, I hope to check out that one, White Dog, Forty Guns and The Big Red One some day. I discovered them in the great Fuller documentary The Typewriter, The Rifle and the Movie Camera, which is worth seeking out.

I'm glad I enjoyed this one because I didn't love Shock Corridor or Pickup on South Street. They're a little too melodramatic and over the top for me.

Thanks, I hope to check out that one, White Dog, Forty Guns and The Big Red One some day. I discovered them in the great Fuller documentary The Typewriter, The Rifle and the Movie Camera, which is worth seeking out.

I'm glad I enjoyed this one because I didn't love Shock Corridor or Pickup on South Street. They're a little too melodramatic and over the top for me.
Haven't seen Forty Guns, but The Big Red One is probably my favourite from him, and White Dog has some nice pulpy energy.

I was mixed on Shock Corridor, so you're probably okay there, but Tak is a big Pickup on South Street fan, so she'll probably have your head for the latter.

Are there any Samuel Fuller movies that don't kind of veer into the melodramatic?

Fuller's films are this weird mix of realism and hyper realism, where there is an emotional truth to how he depicts his characters, but they are always distorted because of the world they live in. Even though he was a very very different director, Cassavetes is always what I think of when I think of Fullers world. Once one adjusts to the theatrics, their movies are the Truth. Even when it is something as dopey of Shock Corridor can be.

Also 40 Guns is easily one of his best. And Fixed Bayonets his most overlooked

Forty Guns is mandatory western viewing. Narratively, it痴 a gender bent retelling of the Shootout at the OK Corral, if the leader of the Cowboys was a lovely lady that Wyatt Earp was romantically involved with. It痴 Fuller痴 aesthetic that makes it necessary cinema, as it痴 arguably the birth of the Spaghetti Western style. It痴 hard not to imagine Leone studying everything that was done in this film and adopting it痴 visual language as his own (not that he didn稚 expand and push those boundaries).

And Fixed Bayonets his most overlooked
I've forgotten a lot about this, but there's one scene where a soldier crosses a frozen pond or something of the sort managed to worm its way into my brain. And I do remember some choice Gene Evans material.

By http://www.impawards.com/2020/emma.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=62400268

Emma - (2020)

Well, after enjoying Pride and Prejudice I thought why not give Emma a whirl considering it's a relatively new adaptation. It was pretty good, but I have to reserve the term "greatness" for it's production design, costumes and sumptuous visuals. It feels like a time machine, because there is so much detail and loving care put into making this look beautiful and authentic. I've never cared all that much about costume design before, but now I can't help but search out and watch Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, for that film won the Best Costume Design Oscar in 2021
I really loved the new Emma, with stronger acting than any other adaptations and like you I LOVED the production and costume design. The clothing was practically its own character in the film, and the way that the interior spaces were put together was breathtaking.

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom also has really solid costume design, though not in as colorful of a palate as Emma.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! (And don't even think about looking in the direction of The Naked Kiss!)

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! (And don't even think about looking in the direction of The Naked Kiss!)
Uh oh. Rock was right.
I'll give it another chance someday with the mindset that it's supposed to be how I described it.

Boldly going.
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot
6.5/10.

Given a title like that, I fully expected it to be a silly movie, but it was actually quite good, until the protagonist meets bigfoot, that is, then everything went downhill.
WARNING: "better ending" spoilers below
I honestly would have liked it if, after bigfoot barfed all over him, that our protagonist got sick, and then gradually turned into bigfoot himself. That at least would explain why you never see more than one bigfoot at a time.

Uh oh. Rock was right.
I'll give it another chance someday with the mindset that it's supposed to be how I described it.
My friend, if you are lucky, Shock Corridor and Pickup on South Street will give YOU another chance.

*imagine some dramatic exit here* *door slam*

This is the part where I embarrassingly admit the only Samuel Fuller I've seen is Shark, and that was over 20 years ago.

This is the part where I embarrassingly admit the only Samuel Fuller I've seen is Shark, and that was over 20 years ago.

Somehow you found one of the rarest and worst of all Fuller jams.

I've forgotten a lot about this, but there's one scene where a soldier crosses a frozen pond or something of the sort managed to worm its way into my brain. And I do remember some choice Gene Evans material.

You remember more than me. I don't even remember the bayonets. But I remember my response to it and it was a very good one.

No one has brought up 3 of my favorite Fuller flicks so I値l toss em out there:

Underworld USA
House of Bamboo
Crimson Kimono

The Ledge, 2022

Kelly (Brittany Ashworth) is on a trip with her friend Sophie (Anais Parello) to climb a dangerous cliff face. The trip is complicated as it is the anniversary of Kelly husband, Luca, dying during a climb that the couple was doing together. The night before the women are set to begin their climb, they hang out with a group of dudes who turn out to be very bad news. Their leader, Josh (Ben Lamb), tries to rape Sophie and then murders her when she fights back. Kelly captures footage of the men disposing of Sophie's body and then must go on the run---straight up the cliff face--as they pursue her to get the evidence.

I mean, really.

There's a well-worn trope about characters in horror movies doing the stupidest things that get them killed. But what this film shows is even worse is characters who clearly, CLEARLY know better and still make horrible decisions.

Setting aside the characters, the biggest disappointment here is the lack of climbing. Everything is exciting as the chase up the cliff begins, but then Kelly sort of gets stranded on a small ledge in the rock and the film gets stranded with her. It all turns into long conversations, the men badgering Kelly and trying to negotiate with her, and the occasional burst of violence. There are a few white-knuckle moments, but too much run time burns up in conversations that don't really go anywhere.

And this is where the problem with the characters comes in. The worst are Sophie and Josh. Sophie is so abrasive and clueless that it's painful spending time with her. She is rude and patronizing, and it just doesn't quite add up that such a plain spoken person would be so absolutely oblivious as to the danger she's in from these men. She watches Josh roughly grab Kelly, yet doesn't hesitate to hang around with the men by herself when Kelly decides to go to bed. The character of Josh is just as bad. He's a one-dimensional psychopath whose misogyny and disdain for everyone else is his only defining characteristic.

What complicates everything is the rest of the dude crew. They know how bad Josh is---as we slowly learn about a horrific crime they committed at Josh's behest when they were teenagers---and yet they repeatedly take him at his word. One character repeatedly calls Josh out, to the point that he tackles him away from Sophie as he's assaulting her and later tells the other men that Josh has taken things too far and is dangerous. Yet when a character disappears and Josh says , "Oh he just decided to walk down the mountain," this character believes him! It's frustrating and baffling.

If there had been more action it might have been easier to overlook the underdeveloped characters. But there's way too much talking and far too little adrenaline-churning stuff.

There's also the fact that almost all of the actors are not American, yet constantly reference the fact that they are American and from California. This is particularly egregious in the actors playing Sophie and Josh, but noticeable in the rest of the cast. It gives all of the dialogue a tortured cadence. This is a British film and the actors are mostly British so, like, why?!

No one has brought up 3 of my favorite Fuller flicks
Looks like somebody just did.

Underworld USA
House of Bamboo
Crimson Kimono
Nice try.

Looks like somebody just did.

Nice try.
I知 not no one? I知 a someone?

Hey, ma! I知 someone!!! I知 SOMEONE!!!

I知 not no one? I知 a someone?

Hey, ma! I知 someone!!! I知 SOMEONE!!!
On second thought, I retract the above post.