The 29th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Goldfinger
(1964)

This is the first Sean Connery James Bond film I have seen all the way through. I have seen pieces of his, Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton, George Lazenby and even David Niven. Are they good? I really dont know because the only Bond movies I have seen all the way through, are Daniel Craig's.

James Bond, MI's 007, takes down a Gold-loving criminal. Along the way, he flirts and sleeps with women, even the criminal kind.

This isn't a bad film but the technology used and green screen are typical of a film from this era of cinema. Would I watch another James Bond film starring Sean Connery? probably. Will I feel the same about everything? yes.

Not a bad watch but not one I would normally watch. I still haven't watched Craig's "No Time to Die". I plan on rectifying that soon. Will I be sad when Craig is no longer Bond? Yes, because I highly enjoy his version of the character. Plus, Craig is nice to look at.

Note: I like Craig's Q better than Connery's Q because I enjoy films with Ben Whishaw and his weapons are way cooler.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yeah, I guess I don't have an extra spare room, let alone one I could dedicate solely to storing physical media. Though I'm wondering, even with that, just how much space does that take up? Because 2000 discs is storable, but if you've been doing this for a few years... do you periodically clear some of them out? Because how large of a room is needed to store something like 10K discs?
I keep most of my DVDs on several bookcase shelves and a bunch of narrow DVD racks all over the house. A large bookcase, (about 6 feet high by about 2 feet across), can hold over 300 DVDs.

I just did a quick count, and this bookcase has the equivalent of about 308 DVDs on it, including regular DVDs and Blu-rays. I counted one shelf of DVDs, and multiplied it by the number of shelves, so that doesn't account for box sets. (Sorry about the blurry picture, but it was just a quick picture taken on my phone. I can get a better one if you want, but it was just to show an example of how the DVDs fit on a bookcase.)

Also just wondering since you mentioned the garage sales/prices, are you primarily picking up DVDs or have blu-rays also gotten that inexpensive in that quantity?
I have hundreds of blu-rays that I bought for $1 or less, and a lot of box sets that were $3 or less, including some blu-ray box sets. (I think there are about 75 blu-rays on the shelves in the picture above.)

i was also going to watch A Moment of Innocence today but apparently i was in need of 3 naps and potentially a 4th one rn
world's sleepiest girl finally woke up and watched a movie lmao.

A Moment of Innocence (Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1996)

I was drawn to this own first simply because of the poster and didn't know anything about it otherwise. If I had read that this was a quiet docudrama about making a movie I'd have been turned off pretty heavily but this actually turned out to be an absolute delight. Love how recreating this old event gives us a wholly new story shaped by the views of the younger actors and their interpretation of this specific moment in time. Its such a well put together film structurally and really enjoy how and when information is doled out, specifically how the cop finds out he was set up. There's also just so many cute moments, like the young actors talking about saving mankind and the almost comedy of errors of getting this one scene shot. Makhmalbar and the cop having zero screen time together is also a good touch and that last shot is money. Of course it also helps that the film looks great and that I vibe with the aesthetics hard. Yeah, really loved this one.

Adam's Apples

If you Google this movie it says crime drama at the top of the page but that's nonsense. It's a comedy all the way. I watched this in 2020 after Moviegal recommended it to me a couple of years prior. It's the funniest foreign language film I've seen.

Foreign language comedies can be tough for me, but nothing is lost in translation with this one. It could easily be an American movie. I wouldn't go so far as to call it crude, but it's a movie that could be offensive to some people. To be really funny, you have to risk being offensive. Not too short and not too long, with excellent performances. I guess people could be interested in themes like faith and good vs evil, but this never bogs down with sappiness. I laughed loudly many times and I don't usually do that.

+

I keep most of my DVDs on several bookcase shelves and a bunch of narrow DVD racks all over the house. A large bookcase, (about 6 feet high by about 2 feet across), can hold over 300 DVDs.

I just did a quick count, and this bookcase has the equivalent of about 308 DVDs on it, including regular DVDs and Blu-rays. I counted one shelf of DVDs, and multiplied it by the number of shelves, so that doesn't account for box sets. (Sorry about the blurry picture, but it was just a quick picture taken on my phone. I can get a better one if you want, but it was just to show an example of how the DVDs fit on a bookcase.)

So, just crunching the numbers there, every 2K of disc would be 6-7 bookcases (not an inconceivable number in a house). If Phoenix has been getting 2K/year for, let's say 5 years (and assuming they aren't getting rid of any), that's about 33 bookcases. Now, they said they just stack them in a room (it sounds like free standing, which I wasn't expecting), so that changes things a lot. But, um, 33 seems like a lot of book cases in my mind's eye.

I have hundreds of blu-rays that I bought for $1 or less, and a lot of box sets that were $3 or less, including some blu-ray box sets. (I think there are about 75 blu-rays on the shelves in the picture above.)

I will admit, even with streaming and 4K blu-rays, I'm still a little surprised regular blu-rays are going for that cheap (the ones I end up buying sure aren't.) But I'm not really going to places that sell other things that might have a bargain bin for movies.

I guess you could say I collect movies too. When I first starting getting into movies I bought DVD sets and found out that the limited room under my TV stand quickly filled up. That's when I switched to storing everything as .mp4 files. Depending on the size of the video file I can get a lot of movies onto a 4tb hdd. On average of 1gb per movie file that would be 4000 movies that could be stored. Though many of my movies are more in the 500mb size.

I used to buy a lot of dvd, bluray and 4K but have cut back over the past few years. I only buy if something I really want and is nostalgic comes to 4k or for some reason, after 2 moves, I can't find a dvd I know I own. I havexa storage unit because I went from house to an apartment.

I must have close to 500. I know with Criterion, I have over 125 discs.

I collect a lot of movies. I'm a movie-a-holic. I could quit if I wanted to, but I don't want to! I have 8 bookshelves (of differing sizes) and 2 lockers with movies in them. I have over 300 Criterions.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

"I'm sorry, alright? I'll never say anything bad about Paul Blart: Mall Cop ever again!"

This is the second Invasion of the Body Snatchers adaptation I've seen, the first being the 1978 one, which I watched a few years ago. If I could only choose one, it would be that one, but I still enjoyed this adaptation nearly as much. I like how universally applicable it is in that it doesn't call out what real world threat inspired its pod people. It could very well be communism given it's from the '50s, but despite that elephant in the room and the period production values, the tension in my viewing came from how the movie made me think about my own demons. The claustrophobic sets and voyeuristic cinematography escalate this tension in the best way for how they make Miles and Becky seem like they're in a laboratory maze. The gut-churning "hatching" scene - that squelching noise is forever etched into my memory - and the pleasantly subtle way the movie reveals when someone isn't who they say they are deserve credit for being classic examples of less is more. It all culminates in the best way with the most sane and trustworthy of our heroes, which also probably applied before the crisis hit, in the most different circumstances possible: ranting and raving like a lunatic in the middle of a highway.

With all that said, why is this movie so scary? I think it's because it taps into the fear of everyone you know and everything you've worked for disappearing and not being able to do anything about it. As more of the people in Miles and Becky’s' life become pod people, I had the same sensation I have when I watch election coverage and the candidates I voted for do badly or when I sit in the basement during a tornado warning. It's also why the Borg are such a terrifying Star Trek villain, why the similar John Carpenter's The Thing and They Live have also stood the test of time and why this story has been and will continue to be remade. Again, I still prefer the 1978 version, mostly for personal reasons like it being closer to my generation, having actors I grew up watching, etc. I also think it has a better and more memorable ending as opposed to this one's, which I didn't have to verify on IMDB that it's focused grouped. It's still close, and I think this one also deserves to be called a classic. Why, oh why, though, did they have to show that sign with 25 cent gas prices?

@Torgo, so when you watched the 70s one, did you not know who Kevin McCarthy was/that it was a callback to the end of the 50s one?

I grew up shortly after the 70s one, but grew up with the 50s one (because you can show a little kid the 50s one). Didn't see the 70s one until my early thirties, and was quite surprised I liked it noticeably more. Probably just because the 70s are kind of my sweet spot for aesthetic, and well, they had some great actors in there. But make of that what you will.

@Torgo, so when you watched the 70s one, did you not know who Kevin McCarthy was/that it was a callback to the end of the 50s one?
Wow, I don't remember him being in the '70s version. I'll have to rewatch it sometime soon.
To be honest, the only movies I recall seeing him in besides The Howling is Innerspace. What a good villain he is in that one.

I collect a lot of movies. I'm a movie-a-holic. I could quit if I wanted to, but I don't want to! I have 8 bookshelves (of differing sizes) and 2 lockers with movies in them. I have over 300 Criterions.

Just checking, lockers as in storage lockers you can rent at a U-Haul or something else?

And sorry to hijack the thread to talk about movie physical storage, everyone.

Wow, I don't remember him being in the '70s version. I'll have to rewatch it sometime soon.
To be honest, the only movies I recall seeing him in besides The Howling is Innerspace. What a good villain he is in that one.

I see UHF did not make your comedy countdown list.

/actually contributed to thread

Just checking, lockers as in storage lockers you can rent at a U-Haul or something else?

And sorry to hijack the thread to talk about movie physical storage, everyone.
Lockers as in similar to school lockers. I bought them in a sports store and they have the Dallas Cowboys logo on them.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	F73593A1-17FA-4BED-9B88-D934F4BCC702.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	87761   Click image for larger version

Name:	F38E6572-0397-4E10-A721-F82BA7471DF8.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	87762  

I see UHF did not make your comedy countdown list.
He is in that too! In my defense, I thought James Karen played the evil executive part.
It didn't make my list, but I do love it, especially whenever Gedde Watanabe is on screen.

Lockers as in similar to school lockers. I bought them in a sports store and they have the Dallas Cowboys logo on them.

Ah, so something that's on your premises.

Well, I'll say for @MovieGal, since I'm also an apartment dweller and space is really limited for me, I picked up some of these recently to extend the storage area for my collection:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZMKLY...p_mob_ap_share

They're stackable. I've stacked four of them on top of each other on top of my 40" high bookshelf as spillover. They seem space efficient. I'm not sure how many you can stack before you'd have to worry about them tipping over.

I am actually wondering just how many physical discs @PHOENIX74 has at this point.

He is in that too! In my defense, I thought James Karen played that part.
It didn't make my list, but I do love it, especially whenever Gedde Watanabe is on screen.

I guess because I grew up with the 50s version and it was a favorite, and also being into Weird Al as a child, that would stick out in my head.

Anomalisa
(Kaufman 2015)
*SPOILERS

Hey looks like I'm the first to review this so I'm snagging that image before anyone else does!

Guess what? I was impressed by Anomalisa. Which surprised me as I usually don't care for animated movies. But I was engaged and quite interested in the stories outcome. I went into this blind and hadn't even heard of it before as I've been leaving under a rock

At first I thought it was really odd that the taxi driver and bell boy and others all sounded alike. I thought that must be some gimmick that would grow thin real quickly...When a female character appeared and they also spoke with that same male sounding voice I wondered if they were suppose to be symbolic transgender characters. I also had noticed the lines on the face of the characters and thought that was an odd choice. So at the start I was in the dark.

But then it all made sense when Michael meets Emily and Lisa, and Lisa speaks with a woman's voice. It was clear to me that Michael was lost in a sea of sameness with Lisa being the sole difference. I thought that was pretty interesting. The inclusion of Lisa gave the film a lot of depth while deepening the mystery of what was up? At one point I thought Michael might be some type of serial hedonist and his sincerity with Lisa was a line of BS just to get her in bed. Of course that wasn't the case. I did love the fact that I didn't know what was coming next and what was next was his crazy dream when he sees the manager in the hotel basement.

Like 95% of the movies I've seen, the climax of the character's story didn't touch me. It was well done so no complaints but his meltdown at the lecture seemed like a case of telling the audience what was up with Michael. I assume I was suppose to hit an emotional peak during the vocalizations of his isolation feelings speech, but I didn't.

The film ended well (for me) when he arrives back home and all the voices are one....just like the Borg.

Solid nom!

Keep an eye out when watching Adam's Apples. The first link I used the subtitles were a couple seconds off. I quickly found a good link though.