A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Flux Gourmet (2022) was an visual, audio experience.

My gut says only hardcore Strickland fans are going to like it. That could also just be gas.

Mad God on Shudder was certainly something. I'd rank it an 85 on a scale of minutes.
I greatly enjoyed this extended Tool music video for its imagination, craft and fearlessness. The experience is a bit marred by Shudder’s abysmal compression issues, rendering chunky, blocky artifacts everywhere when it’s dark, which is the majority of the film.

A rewatch on a good Blu or 4K will help me get my thoughts straight on it.

I greatly enjoyed this extended Tool music video for its imagination, craft and fearlessness.
Would you say it's more like "Sober", or "Parabola", though?

Would you say it's more like "Sober", or "Parabola", though?
Sober meets Stinkfist.

Flux Gourmet (2022) was an visual, audio experience.

My gut says only hardcore Strickland fans are going to like it. That could also just be gas.
I loved it. Strickland is moving more and more towards comedy in his most recent work. This exploration of a non-existant sub-subculture was great.

Mad God on Shudder was certainly something. I'd rank it an 85 on a scale of minutes.
If I had to use one word to describe it, that word would be "undeniable". It's the kind of movie that has to be seen to be believed. Not a great one to watch when having a headache though (when I saw it at a film fest, where I also saw Flux Gourmet btw, I just had my third vaccination earlier that day).

I loved it. Strickland is moving more and more towards comedy in his most recent work. This exploration of a non-existant sub-subculture was great.
That's good to hear. I don't know what I thought of this one (though, you know I'm going to buy it when it comes out on blu-ray, because, well, it's Strickland, and there's no reason to stop now), but I don't know if that's because of how little I knew going in (not watching the trailer and hearing "sonic culinary institute," but not really processing that "sonic" part, kind of a big deal on expectations of what I was seeing).

There was a lot of comedy in Berberian. The more you watch it, both the more you laugh and the more you feel the emotional journey of the lead. I think I preferred Berberian and Duke of Burgundy. Though Fatma's comedic turn the last two movies have been delightful and matching or complementing her comedy perfectly has been Richard Bremmer. That said, I think I preferred the tethering to reality and the dramatic core that came with it seemed to work better for me for those earlier two.

The one difference with this one compared to all the other ones, the other ones I feel like I could just blindly recommend it to people in my circle of non-film buff friends and they'd probably appreciate it. This one, feels like you need to be steeped in Strickland's sense of comedy before seeing it. But maybe I'm underestimating people. I'll probably subject my friends to it at some point, but probably a few years down the line, and we'll see then. What was your sense on that front?

If I had to use one word to describe it, that word would be "undeniable". It's the kind of movie that has to be seen to be believed. Not a great one to watch when having a headache though (when I saw it at a film fest, where I also saw Flux Gourmet btw, I just had my third vaccination earlier that day).
I almost want to say, claymation of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards going through the world of Doom, plus maybe a few other things? It's at least short.
My worst experience of watching a movie with a headache was Farewell My Concubine in college. Three hours and my ears had not (have not?) adjusted themselves to Chinese opera. I had a slight headache at the start of the movie...

That's good to hear. I don't know what I thought of this one (though, you know I'm going to buy it when it comes out on blu-ray, because, well, it's Strickland, and there's no reason to stop now), but I don't know if that's because of how little I knew going in (not watching the trailer and hearing "sonic culinary institute," but not really processing that "sonic" part, kind of a big deal on expectations of what I was seeing).

There was a lot of comedy in Berberian. The more you watch it, both the more you laugh and the more you feel the emotional journey of the lead. I think I preferred Berberian and Duke of Burgundy. Though Fatma's comedic turn the last two movies have been delightful and matching or complementing her comedy perfectly has been Richard Bremmer. That said, I think I preferred the tethering to reality and the dramatic core that came with it seemed to work better for me for those earlier two.

The one difference with this one compared to all the other ones, the other ones I feel like I could just blindly recommend it to people in my circle of non-film buff friends and they'd probably appreciate it. This one, feels like you need to be steeped in Strickland's sense of comedy before seeing it. But maybe I'm underestimating people. I'll probably subject my friends to it at some point, but probably a few years down the line, and we'll see then. What was your sense on that front?
To be honest, no Strickland film would ever be my immediate go-to when recommending something to my non-film buff friends. Though I would pick this sooner than let's say In Fabric, but certainly Berberian or Burgundy would be my first choices if that situation would ever occur.

Btw, Strickland himself was at my screening of this movie and he was talking about his Greek heritage and how he positions this movie in particular to be more in line with the modern Greek absurdist cinema à la Lanthimos and others, even starring several actors from that "movement" (using that word very loosely here).

To be honest, no Strickland film would ever be my immediate go-to when recommending something to my non-film buff friends. Though I would pick this sooner than let's say In Fabric, but certainly Berberian or Burgundy would be my first choices if that situation would ever occur.

Btw, Strickland himself was at my screening of this movie and he was talking about his Greek heritage and how he positions this movie in particular to be more in line with the modern Greek absurdist cinema à la Lanthimos and others, even starring several actors from that "movement" (using that word very loosely here).

I said they were non-film buffs, not philistines!

/I think I'm joking with that statement.

Didn't realize Strickland had a new one coming out. I've liked everything I've seen from him, and thought In Fabric was his best yet, so am definitely interested in the new one.

Watched Love and Monsters last night, was a pretty enjoyable post apocalyptic comedy action horror. Didn't do anything super original but the characters were likable and quirky in entertaining ways and the monster special effects are pretty darn good. I don't know I have a soft spot for genre films that take the time to get the character relationships right because it makes all the tension hit better and I think they did a great job with that here.

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as any. So, do you know any horror films set in 1920s Berlin? I find the decadent Berlin of the Weimar Republic fascinating and also a fitting setting for horror stories (just like Victorian England). So, am I somehow missing an obvious trove of such films or aren't there really any?

Are you talking period pieces set then or movies from roughly that era set in Berlin?

Either way, I don't know if I do (I'm trying to think what country Shadow of the Vampire was set in and we'll, it wasn't in any city as far as I remember).
I'll try to keep a mind's eye out for it because that's a decent question.

It's been forever since I've seen Mephisto and am pretty sure that was purely after the rise of Nazi Germany, but maybe there was an intro part before... (And that would be political horror at best).

(And I'm just Caligari wasn't set in Berlin)

Are you talking period pieces set then or movies from roughly that era set in Berlin?
Period pieces that are set at that time and place, preferably taking advantage of the decadence of that setting (art, sex, drugs, prostitution - basically anything goes when it comes to pleasures).

10 Jolting Jump Scares That Don’t Feel Cheap

This list could've used some more Alien, but it was still pretty good anyway, IMO.
Mulholland Drive and Wake in Fright are pretty egregious omissions.

Slowly spreading the good word of Frankenhooker by sharing it with some non-horror movie friends. And the one friend I expected to HATE it actually really enjoyed it, go figure.

Slowly spreading the good word of Frankenhooker by sharing it with some non-horror movie friends. And the one friend I expected to HATE it actually really enjoyed it, go figure.
Is Frankenhooker a prequel to Lust for Frankenstein?