The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Victim of The Night
I am so relieved When Harry Met Sally... made the list. It was one of the last five or six I cut and I was worried RomComs weren't going to get enough support and a great flick like WHMS might get lost in the shuffle. Good job, MoFo!

I feel the same. I re-watched When Harry Met Sally fairly recently and felt that I had misjudged it and that it was unquestionably one of the all-time great romantic comedies... but it didn't quite make my cut.
Glad to see it made it. Though I actually thought it would be higher even without my support.

First one from my list…

The Gold Rush was my #13. Honestly I’m very surprised it’s not higher. I thought it would be in top 50 at least. Oh well.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen When Harry Met Sally. Quite surprising cause it’s on TV all the time and very popular. I might have seen bits and pieces but not ever in its entirety…

When Harry Met Sally is one of the few rom coms I really like.

Haven’t seen Gold Rush.

When Harry Met Sally is my favorite romcom. I love the film. But again, I decided not to go with too many genre hybrids, so I didn't include it.

The Gold Rush is pretty good, but I didn't include it either.

When Harry Met Sally is another one that didn't do it for when I saw it, but I was probably not in the right frame of mind for it at the time. I might try it again sometime, though it's not a high priority.

The Gold Rush
is great though, again, not on my list. Chaplin's looking good for dominating this list.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
• #83. The Gold Rush is my #1. I've seen it dozen of times (half of them during my school years). Last time I saw it during the Covid period.

That's an epochal comedy.

I was ready to bet that this movie will probably win the countdown. That's why I put it at #1 to help in this. My impression was that most of the users will have it in their top 10... How naïve I am...

-----

• #84. When Harry Met Sally... - Saw it in the theater back then, just when ending our teens. This film was exactly for us. I would probably list it at #85-90 if I post my top 100 comedies.

Top 100 seen 6/18.
(seen one pointers 4/42 • )
--
My list:
1. The Gold Rush (1925) [#83.]
5. The Kid (1921) [#88.]
7. One, Two, Three (1961) [#85.]

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No points from me.

When Harry Met Sally... is a very funny textbook rom-com where the lead characters start off hating each other and then become good friends. Complications arise when the question of sex comes up. This is all seen from a changing perspective, but the highlight has to be when Sally shows Harry how easy it is to fake an orgasm.

The Gold Rush was the first Chaplin film lionized by international film critics and historians, and even if it's recently fallen [comparatively] a bit out of favor, it's still a terrific movie and a must-see as all of Chaplin's features are, at least up through Limelight (1952). It's crammed with awesome scenes, from the cabin teetering on the edge of a cliff, to the starving prospector who wants to eat Charlie because he thinks he's a chicken to the bear following the tramp, to eating the shoe to the memorable climax to this short and sweet dance of the rolls. Chaplin's films are full of the kind of imagination which seems to be in short supply nowadays.

Gold Rush is good... But I forgot to vote for Chaplin lol

Never seen Harry or Sally

Another from my list. No, obviously not the Chaplin film (I'm HK. Remember?) but When Harry Met Sally.... is one of the best rom-coms of all time. Possible the best, even if it's not my favourite. I had it at #14 but it really could've been anywhere from about 10 down as it depends on the moment I'm making the final decision on the list. There just isn't anything wrong with the film. It's a great script, well acted with great support (the friends of the two main players are so important in films like this), it has an iconic scene (and you know it's iconic because even if you haven't seen the film you probably know which one I'm talking about) and, more than anything, it has charm. Real charm, which comes from the combination of script, performance, chemistry and just good old fashioned filmmaking. No need to be flashy, weird or innovative. Just provide the audience with what they want as well as it can be done. When Harry Met Sally... does that as well as any film in any genre.

Have seen so far: 9 - When Harry Met Sally - Watched this for the comedy countdown and thought the movie was alright
Have not seen so far: 9

I have not seen Gold Rush, One, Two, Three and To Be or Not To Be

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I've seen a lot of Billy Wilder movies, so I had a few comedies to compare One Two Three to. It;s not quite as funny as I hoped, but the awkwardness and constant humorous twists made it VERY enjoyable. 9/10.

The Gold Rush isn;t the best Chaplin movie. Chaplin's humor was kinda basic in this and the sentiment wasn't as strong as in City Limits or The Kid. 6.5/10.

Seen 11/18

To Be or Not To Be (1942)
Greenberg: Mr. Rawitch, what you are, I wouldn't eat.
Rawitch: How dare you call me a ham!

I graduated in '82. Mel Brooks' remake came out the year after. It's a great lil rewatch throughout my life and it took until hanging out here for me to finally see the original pairing of Carole Lombard and Jack Benny. Twice so far.A very strange occurrence since I love them both and with Benny since I was a kid.
With Brooks indented into tiny membrane I spent my first watch comparing instead of enjoying. Not so much the second time. Enjoyed it for that it offered more and should I get the chance, all that much more with a third watch.

Happy to hear that you're a Jack Benny fan! I watched his show every week, and it was totally unique on TV. Even listened to some of his radio shows, but seeing him on video was much funnier, due to his facial expressions.

I found some of his old TV shows on Netflix or somewhere, and watched them. They're as funny now as they were then. No one could ever imitate Jack Benny's style. Rich Little could impersonate him, but Jack Benny as a performer could not really be copied by anyone else.

Nice clip of Arlene Francis. I loved her as a kid on What's My Line, but after getting older I was attracted by Dorothy Kilgallen. I think that Citizen Rules and I are the biggest What's My Line fans on Movie Forums!..

Despite my distaste for Rob Reiner, I freely admit that When Harry Met Sally is a very funny film. Crystal is capable of being hilarious, simply saying, "Hello". And Meg Ryan made a perfect duo with Crystal.

The Gold Rush is one of Chaplin's most revered films, and with good reason. To my taste it's not nearly his funniest, but perhaps one of the most memorable.

When Harry Met Sally is a good film. It deserves a spot on the list.

As for The Gold Rush...wow another that I swear I had on my list but nope. Looks like when I submitted my list I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. Anyway, for whatever reason I left it off my list it's probably a top 100 of all-time for me and I see it as Chaplin's best. Sorry for leaving you off my list, Charlie.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Has anyone watched the new Beavis and Butthead movie? I know it's crude and silly but man I had a smile on my face the whole time and was laughing throughout. Glad to see the boys back again and they haven't changed.

Congratulations MoFos for choosing some great comedies! You guys have good taste

Today's comedy inclusions weren't on my crowded ballot but both well deserve a place on this countdown. I rated one of those two films a 5/5 read on....

When Harry Met Sally (1989)

Nora Ephron's screenplay is really a thing of beauty. In a way her screenplay reminded me of a Woody Allen film only without the cynical outlook on life. I liked the way her screenplay examined relationships, while still feeling very grounded and real. Of course Nora Ephron is one of the legends in movie screenplay writing and she doesn't disappoint here.

I thought Billy Crystal was a jerk at the start and of course so did Meg Ryan's character, so that was the whole point. Meg Ryan was a bit of a snood too here and heaven forbid if you should ever have the misfortune of taking her to a restaurant. But as they both grew older they mellowed and became more complex characters and that's thanks to the phenomenal screenplay and probably also the director Rob Reiner. It's hard to tell in any movie if the credit goes to the director or writer?

When Harry Met Sally
is one of the best written relationship films I've seen, except for two scenes that I think were over cooked. They are: The famous orgasm scene...and Billy Crystal doing his elderly Jewish man bit (which he did on the TV show Soap as well). Both were over the top and felt like comedy bits and didn't fit with the realism of the rest of the movie. I read that both scenes were improvised and not originally in Nora Ephron's script. To bad the director didn't modify those scenes to make them match the rest of the film's feel & flow.

+

and keep reading...

The Gold Rush (1925)

There's something joyous about looking back in time to an era so long gone. Silent films are a different form of artistry, the acting style is unique and so are the stories. Charles Chaplin once said that The Gold Rush was the one film that he wanted to be remembered for. I feel like it's important not to forget him or any of these great artist that were once so important to the world.

So much has already been lost, 75% or more of all silent films are gone...erased from history. The moments, the people, the images vanished into the ether. Occasional a lost film is found but it's extremely rare. Of the remaining silent films, many are in storage and deteriorating. Sad.

At least we have this gem. I really loved watching The Gold Rush. All one has to do is watch Chaplin's face as he does the dancing rolls to know you're watching a very special artist.

...The Shop Around the Corner and Ninotchka and loved them, so I need to get on the horse and catch some more of his.

One, Two, Three is a movie I've always wanted to see, being a huge Cagney fan but still haven't seen it. I love Arlene Francis and like @Citizen Rules I've seen her in a massive number of What's My Line episodes. So knowing she's in it has got me jazzed even further. Also like Horst Buchholz since I've seen him in any number of films, and Pamela Tiffin, well, ooh baby!..
The Shop Around the Corner is easily one of my all time favorite movies. If you got a soft spot in your heart for a rom-com-drama then it should click with you. Speaking of What's My Line, Pamela Tiffin was a guest panelist on that show several times at least in the 1960s.

Nice clip of Arlene Francis. I loved her as a kid on What's My Line, but after getting older I was attracted by Dorothy Kilgallen. I think that Citizen Rules and I are the biggest What's My Line fans on Movie Forums!..
Count me as a fan of Dorothy too...and Arlene as well

Stripes-- I saw it when I was a teen and barely remember it except for Bill Murray playfully using a spatula to scoop up a girl soldier.

Hausu-- never seen it
Clueless-- Loved it! I like when Cher tells the cop "I totally paused!" when she rolls through a stop sign. Brittany Murphy is great as Tai.
One Two Three--I liked it but its not top tier Wilder so I expect to see The Apartment, "buddy boy" and Some like it Hot way up there.
To Be or Not to Be--I have never seen either the Mel Brooks remake or the original all the way through though I did like what I saw.
The Gold Rush-- Is one of my favorite Chaplin movies. The part where he eats his shoe is hilarious.
When Harry Met Sally-- A good rom/com but not my favorite. I prefer Barefoot in the Park by Neil Simon Jane Fonda is darling and funny and Mildrid Natwick is wonderful as her very staid but funny mother.
The Kid-- is a Chaplin picture that I have never seen.

None of these were on my list. I have a feeling what I can remember of my list is very weird.

The Gold Rush is top tier Chaplin, but not one of the two that was on my list. It maybe his best film to introduce a new viewer to him. Thought it would be a bit higher.

Haven’t seen When Harry Met Sally but it looks like a light hearted one that I’d enjoy.