Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I think I’ve seen this before, but memories hazy, so rewatch this morning.

Always liked Mikael Persbrandt.
Excellent film, just my cup of tea. Colours, tone, everything. Might just become one of my favourite films. Also taking it strangely personally. What a charming pacifist father. I suppose us people who don’t mind violence really do live on another planet.
A certain section is also reminiscent of The Last King of Scotland.

The big screen, which is nice.

Another one with multiple plates of food sitting untouched. Not even a bite. Throws one out of it.

Bunny Lake is Missing (1965)
There's a podcast I listen to where a film critic on it has recommended this movie like 3 times over the past 3-4 years. It's kind of one of their default recommendations when they can't think of anything recently that has particularly stood out. I'm still waiting to see the price for it to drop on iTunes before I pick it up. But it is one of those movies that's gotten elevated to the state of, "consciously curious."

This is an absolute masterpiece. I was genuinely gobsmacked when I came across it by accident on Prime.
Wow. I’ve heard of this, but never seen it. (Not a huge Olivier fan.) it’s in my Netflix Q now.

This is an absolute masterpiece. I was genuinely gobsmacked when I came across it by accident on Prime.

Was it free as part of the subscription or was it a rental?

Asking to see if I missed a window to see it for free.

Was it free as part of the subscription or was it a rental?

Asking to see if I missed a window to see it for free.
I don’t think I paid for it. I don’t mind paying for films but here I seem to remember just coming across it and it being available.

I don’t think I paid for it. I don’t mind paying for films but here I seem to remember just coming across it and it being available.

Damn. I must have missed it then.
In terms of paying for films, if it's a film I think I might particularly like, I often just use an app to keep an eye out for price drops, and just buy it when it gets close to the cost of a rental. This one doesn't seem like it's budging though.

Wow. I’ve heard of this, but never seen it. (Not a huge Olivier fan.) it’s in my Netflix Q now.
Well, it’s a detective story, and in that respect, it’s Hitchcock-level great, if not better (there definitely were moments when I felt it surpassed any Hitchcock offering). But worth a watch either way. As someone who spent a lot of her life in boarding schools, I could also relate to the setting. I dare say you might like it.

I’m not a huge Olivier fan, either, but he’s relatively incidental here.

Well, it’s a detective story, and in that respect, it’s Hitchcock-level great, if not better (there definitely were moments when I felt it surpassed any Hitchcock offering). But worth a watch either way. As someone who spent a lot of her life in boarding schools, I could also relate to the setting. I dare say you might like it.

I’m not a huge Olivier fan, either, but he’s relatively incidental here.
Often am grateful my parents never sent me to a boarding school. Seems like it would be hell on earth. My prep school was all girls. Was your boarding school?

Often am grateful my parents never sent me to a boarding school. Seems like it would be hell on earth. My prep school was all girls. Was your boarding school?
It’s an age-old debate. I didn’t mind boarding school once I was over 12. Before that, yes, it was hell, very restrictive, a 9 p.m. curfew inconceivable to someone who’d lived across 4 countries by then and could drive. But I do think it has its positives, independence, you manage your money, build your own social circle, and once you, as it were, crack the surveillance algorithm, you have all the freedom. I always looked older so could buy alcohol aged 15 in bars, that was nice.

All girls, yes, but we did sneak out and managed to get all our Romeo-n-Julieting in.

Everyone asks me left, right and centre whether I’d send my children to a boarding school, and I really don’t know. Not sure that I would, all in all, so I stand with your parents. Mine is a massive, legendary one that always pesters me for donations… I go to the odd event, but what can I say, I certainly wouldn’t send any kids there.

It’s an age-old debate. I didn’t mind boarding school once I was over 12. Before that, yes, it was hell, very restrictive, a 9 p.m. curfew inconceivable to someone who’d lived across 4 countries by then and could drive. But I do think it has its positives, independence, you manage your money, build your own social circle, and once you, as it were, crack the surveillance algorithm, you have all the freedom. I always looked older so could buy alcohol aged 15 in bars, that was nice.

All girls, yes, but we did sneak out and managed to get all our Romeo-n-Julieting in.

Everyone asks me left, right and centre whether I’d send my children to a boarding school, and I really don’t know. Not sure that I would, all in all, so I stand with your parents. Mine is a massive, legendary one that always pesters me for donations… I go to the odd event, but what can I say, I certainly wouldn’t send any kids there.
Gosh, how independent you were at 12+. We had all female teachers & no boys’ schools nearby so we were boy-mad. At age 15 I was like a child. When I was 13-14 I had a paper route & could not believe how guys in cars went crazy when they saw me delivering the papers. It still seems bizarre to me.