The 29th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Not that it really matters but the West Coast is actually 3 hours behind East Coast in the original post.
Yeah I live in Midwest and we are one hour behind east coast,. Not sure if they still consider mountain time, which is where Colorado would be. But West coast is 2 hrs behind me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
All I know is, here on the west coast it's about lunch time!
Sounds strange but I just realized lunch isn't a thing on Sundays for me. We always eat a mid afternoon meal.

I forgot the opening line.
Not that it really matters but the West Coast is actually 3 hours behind East Coast in the original post.
Got it - I was confusing EST with EDT which is an hour different.

(BTW - Reveal in approx 12 hours time)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.
The films that have been nominated so far have been revealed.

@Takoma11 - If you decide to join, it looks like your job has been made easier by you dropping a review for one of the nominees at exactly the moment I received it. I hope you do end up joining his Hall and nominating something - you always add a lot to a Hall of Fame.

Seems like quite an intriguing lineup. There's only 2 that I'm not really looking forward to. And I've actually only seen 2 of these films total.

A very interesting set of nominations so far. Plenty of stuff I haven't seen or heard of. In addition to my nomination, I've also seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Das Boot, both of which are great. Coincidentally, I was actually planning on watching Goldfinger tonight anyways, so that's convenient lmao.

Some good nominations. I’ve seen Tomboy, Goldfinger, Vengeance is Mine, Anamolisa, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Wow, I haven't even heard of most of these, so don't have much to say as I haven't read about the noms at this points. So my thoughts...

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)...Both versions of this film are freakin amazing but for different reasons. This 1st version was written and shot partially as a sci-fi thriller with dark comedy undertones, but the studio heads wouldn't go with dark comedy in a thriller so most of Carolyn Jones scenes were cut. BUT...if you watch this with the idea that it was also meant to have some darker comic moments you might enjoy it more.

Das Boot (1981) My nom and for crying out loud please don't watch the hacked up theatrical version which runs 149 minutes. The Directors' Cut is the way to go and is 208 minutes...I guarantee those minutes fly by!

Goldfinger (1964) I haven't seen this in ages so now I suppose I'll end up rewatching all of the Sean Connery's Bond films, which is fine by me! I like Connery and even Roger Moore's Bond, but after that I don't care about the other Bond films.

Not even heard of these, are they more obscure titles or am I just living under a rock!

Vengeance is Mine (1979)

Adams æbler (2005)

Stroszek (1977)

A Moment of Innocence (1996)

Tomboy (2011)

Robot (Enthiran) - (2010)

Anomalisa (2015)

The Promise (La promesse) - (1996)

The Year My Voice Broke (1987)

The trick is not minding
I’ve seen 3 (Stroszek, Gildfinger, Invasion of the Body Snatchers) and I just recently watched Goldfinger a week ago.
I’ve seen the sequel to Enthiran, 2.0, which was ok so I know what to expect, I guess, from the previous one.

One of those rare HOF where I have heard of every movie. Really looking forward to Das Boot (I was literally about to watch this this weekend since it’s on Tubi!) and Veangence ia Mine.

Solid lineup.

Some good nominations. I’ve seen Tomboy, Goldfinger, Anamolisa, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
You have Vengeance is Mine crossed off your Ebert list. Maybe you did it by mistake or forget the movie?

Not even heard of these, are they more obscure titles or am I just living under a rock!

Vengeance is Mine (1979)

Adams æbler (2005)

Stroszek (1977)

A Moment of Innocence (1996)

Tomboy (2011)

Robot (Enthiran) - (2010)

Anomalisa (2015)

The Promise (La promesse) - (1996)

The Year My Voice Broke (1987)
Are you sure you haven't heard of it? If you don't like it, you only have yourself to blame, hint hint.

You have Vengeance is Mine crossed off your Ebert list. Maybe you did it by mistake or forget the movie?

Are you sure you haven't heard of it? If you don't like it, you only have yourself to blame, hint hint.
Yes, I have seen Vengeance is Mine and liked it a lot. I own the Criterion blu ray. I just forgot to list it.

You all will love Adams Aebler.

Dark Danish comedy with Mads Mikkelsen and Ulrich Thomsen.
@MovieMeditation and I find it extremely funny.

Can't go wrong with Mads!

You all will love Adams Aebler.

Dark Danish comedy with Mads Mikkelsen and Ulrich Thomsen.
@MovieMeditation and I find it extremely funny.

Can't go wrong with Mads!
I had a feeling this is the one you would nominate. Should be interesting.

By the way, I'll take links if people have them. Or let me know if they are on prime, Netflix, or criterion.

By the way, I'll take links if people have them. Or let me know if they are on prime, Netflix, or criterion.
I know mine isn't streaming on most platforms. I was looking for my copy of the dvd, but I have moved twice in the past 6 years. It may be in storage so I bought the dvd again.

Tomboy is on Tubi in Canada and on Criterion Channel in the USA.

The trick is not minding
Goldfinger

I recently decided to start up the entire Bond franchise from the beginning, and cranked through the first 3 ( Dr No, From Russia with Love, and of course Goldfinger).

While I think Dr No is so far the best, Goldfinger is easily the second best of the 3, so far.

Goldfinger is where the franchise discovered it identity and never looked back. This was the film that introduced the gadgets, more quips, a opening scene with no connection to the plot itself, outlandish villains (Oddjob in particular and his, um, dangerous hat) and a Bond Girl with a ridiculous name.

The film has Bond on a mission to stops megalomaniacal mastermind, Auric Goldfinger, who loves gold. To go into details would spoil too much, but his plan actually makes sense. Hint: it involves gold.

Somehow it all works. At the center of all of this is Sean Connery, a steady presence who manages to prevent the film from becoming too silly with his portrayal. Bond doesn’t take himself too seriously but doesn’t shirk from his responsibilities. He knows what’s at stake, but also has a personal grudge against Goldfinger. As Bond, there was no one better than Connery. Although Daniel Craig comes the closest. Connery is able to convey just enough ability to prevent the film from becoming too silly. As Bond, Connery has that cool demeanor that only gets rattled at 2 points in the film. One is after discovering an acquaintance death, and the other is the infamous laser scene.

Ah, the laser scene. Here, I thought, is the famous scene I’ve seen parodied so many times. How would he escape here? I was surprised to see him at a near panic, desperately trying to figure out a way to escape his bonds. It is one of the few times I’ve seen Bond not in complete control of a situation, one where he had to scramble to think of a way out of certain doom. The means of his escape was not what I expected, and was a highlight of the film itself.

Highly influential, it is the bond film often remembered as the best in the franchise. The opening scene made me exclaim “Aha! That’s where True Lies got it from!” Parodied from the Simpson and the spy spoof Austin Powers in Goldmember, to inspiring countless spy films that lead to a boom from the US and Europe (the euro spy was born!), Goldfinger remains the standard.

Highly entertaining, and incredibly well directed. Good pick.