The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Agreed. Michael Keaton is hilarious.

Multiplicity top ten or we riot.

Alright, hear me out - a remake of Multiplicity, but what if it's silent, black & white, and it's executed as if we have Buster Keaton in the main role. We'll get Robert Downey Jr onboard to play Buster playing the main role.
Alright, maybe we'll have sound, but we'll keep the dialogue to a minimum and still use intertitles.

I forgot the opening line.
Now that we're on the subject, do you guys prefer Chaplin or Keaton?
Buster Keaton was the greatest.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like Charlie Chaplin, and The Kid is a good movie, but it didn't make my list.

I watched Clueless (I think for the Directed by Women Countdown), and it was okay, but I never considered it for my list.

The Kid is a great movie and I loved it, but I didn't include any Chaplin or Keaton on this list, for some strange reason. Love them both and won't choose one over the other although I think I did at one time. But I got over that the more I watched both and knew how truly genius they both were.

I liked Clueless and enjoyed it more for the acting and situations occurring rather than things that made me laugh out loud. I fell for Alicia Silverstone pretty hard here and still think she's fine even though her movies haven't been that great for a while. Didn't make my list.

So far:
Mine #8 Stripes Official #90

Don't mind Clueless and The 40 Year Old Virgin making the list. I have them at #76 and #127 myself.
It's been a while since I've seen; The Kid, Stripes, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Ruthless People and Weekend at Bernie’s so they all need a re-watch. By the way, really hope Danny DeVito still makes the list somehow.
Haven’t seen House yet but I've noticed there’s a big kitty in it so good chance I'll like it.

Seen 9/14

Ballot 1/25

Today’s faildictions:
86. Uncle Buck
85. Quick Change

69 points, 4 lists
To Be or Not To Be
Director

Ernst Lubitsch, 1942

Starring

Carole Lombard, Jack Benny, Robert Stack, Felix Bressart

69 points, 5 lists
One, Two, Three
Director

Billy Wilder, 1961

Starring

James Cagney, Liselotte Pulver, Horst Buchholz, Pamela Tiffin

Trivia: When Jack Benny's father went to see the To Be or Not to BE, he was outraged to see his son in a Nazi uniform in the first scene and even stormed out of the theater. Jack explained to his father that the movie was satire, and his father sat through all of it. His father ended up liking the film so much that he saw it forty-six times.

mrblond
Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
@Diehl40 Check #86. There is something. Not showing the points and lists.

Not sure I've ever seen To Be Or Not To Be, if I have it was so long ago it wouldn't count anyway. Not much of a fan of One, Two, Three myself but not surprised at all to see it make the countdown.

Seen: 7/16

Today's entries are both great classic Hollywood comedies. Both of them nearly made my personal ballot, but other movies by the same directors got the slight edge (to be fair, I could have filled at least a third of my ballot with only Lubitsch films). I saw One Two Three at a rep screening earlier this year and it still plays as well as it did back in the day. It has always been joked that James Cagney was so exhausted from doing that movie with its constant rapid delivery that he didn't make another movie for 20 years, but really, who could blame him?

Lubitsch & Wilder showing up together is very nice! This is the first appearance for the original To Be or Not To Be or One Two Three on any of the MoFo Lists.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Iroquois
Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I watched To Be or Not to Be last year and it could well be my favourite Lubitsch, just impeccable work. Still haven't seen One, Two, Three.

Not seen either but they look like decent entries to the list.

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
One Two Three is good but it's far from my favorite Wilder. Kind of surprised it made the list.

To Be or Not to Be just didn't do much for me. My least favorite Lubitsch of the 5 I've seen.

Seen 11/16 so far with 2 from my list.

One, Two, Three is classic stuff, great script, comedic timing, pacing and delivery! I watched it specifically for the countdown and it ended up at #69 on my personal comedy top 100. Haven't seen To Be or Not to Be yet.

Seen 10/16

Ballot 1/25
ONE, TWO, THREE 1961 Billy Wilder
"..Schlemmer!!"

Reply to Topic