The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Kid making this list is a catastrophe! If Keaton doesn't rank ahead of that hack Chaplin it will be a crushing blow to humanity.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I do hope that other guy is being ironic...

Stripes is great fun but not one of the Bill Murray's I voted for. I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of him before the day is through. House - not really for me but I get it for others. Clueless is one of the best in its mini-sub-genre. And I didn't vote for The Kid but I have another Chaplin on my list. I wonder if it will make it since people tend to put his other work above it. I was serious about Keaton, though, we all know he's better.

Predictions:
86. City Lights
85. Attack of the Clones

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Mel Brooks or Woody Allen may get in.
Woody's votes may spread around a lot due to a vast majority going one per director. Obviously there's 2 that will be here for sure.

Victim of The Night
The Kid making this list is a catastrophe! If Keaton doesn't rank ahead of that hack Chaplin it will be a crushing blow to humanity.
I feel confident we will be seeing Keaton up ahead.

Victim of The Night
Woody's votes may spread around a lot due to a vast majority going one per director. Obviously there's 2 that will be here for sure.
Is that what people are doing?! I'm not doing that.

I feel confident we will be seeing Keaton up ahead.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure The General and Sherlock, Jr. will be in the Top 50, at least. Then again, Chaplin will also surely have a couple of entries there as well.

Is that what people are doing?! I'm not doing that.
I think I've only seen Rock say he was doing that. If other people have said that, then I'm in the dark about that.

I've seen (general) people over the years try to limit themselves to one per director so they get more diversity in their list and it doesn't become over-dominated. Not me though. I think I did end up topping out at 3 per director, though one pair nearly got a fourth.

Victim of The Night
Interesting. I tried to go on how great a comedy I thought each movie was regardless of any other possible considerations.

Interesting. I tried to go on how great a comedy I thought each movie was regardless of any other possible considerations.
I was fairly fast and loose with the definition when I submitted my ballot. I don't know how many films from my ballot will make the countdown, but that was how I felt most comfortable voting.

I've seen three Chaplin's by my count, but not The Kid. I don't think he's for me.
Keaton is for me. I just wish I've seen more. I think my one Keaton vote got thrown away because I spoke the truth of what my gut felt (at least what it currently feels. I can see my opinion changing in the future).

The one Harold Lloyd I've seen (The Freshman) also didn't really do much for me. I haven't seen Safety Last.

Now that we're on the subject, do you guys prefer Chaplin or Keaton?
I'm on the fence. I've seen 6 Chaplin films, but I'm just diving into Keaton. I've already seen 4 of his films (not counting Sunset Boulevard), but I feel I need to see more. Anyway, I appreciate that they're both different and have different ways to approach their films.

I think I've only seen Rock say he was doing that. If other people have said that, then I'm in the dark about that.

I've seen (general) people over the years try to limit themselves to one per director so they get more diversity in their list and it doesn't become over-dominated. Not me though. I think I did end up topping out at 3 per director, though one pair nearly got a fourth.
I know I've heard more than two people approach countdowns that way, but it's obviously something that's up to each person.

Agreed. Michael Keaton is hilarious.

Multiplicity top ten or we riot.

I prefer Chaplin over Keaton. Keaton's films are always a blast to watch and he ranks amongst the most entertaining directors I'm familiar with, but his films don't move me the way Chaplin does. Both are great filmmakers who make everything they do look effortless, but Keaton lacks the emotional impact.

I'm a big fan of both Keaton and Chaplin but I didn't include any of their movies on my list. Probably a mistake on my part but I had so many comedies that I wanted to give a chance to make the countdown that I didn't include any silent comedies. I really should've been given 50 movies for my ballot to make up for those people who said they couldn't even think of 10 comedies for a list

I know I've heard more than two people approach countdowns that way, but it's obviously something that's up to each person.
I'm not surprised. I may have just not been paying attention. I understand the mentality for it, it's just too over-restrictive for me when I make these type of lists.

@mrblond - stupid question, but where was The Kid on your ballot?
I couldn't help but notice in your posts you never mentioned that detail.