The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Good director (Sturges), good cast (McCrea, Lake), sadly yet to see Sullivan's Travels though (as far as I can remember). An enjoyable enough affair is Fargo, as long as dry humour is suited to one's taste.

Seen: 1/2
My Ballot: what ballot?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Good start. I guess I never thought of including either of these films on my ballot but they are two movies that I really like. Fargo was once a top 100 movie for me and it's still probably a top 200. I really enjoyed Sullivan's Travels too, so it's good to see more fans of that film here.

I considered that one for my ballot, but it didn't make it. I find the film quite humorous with how Sullivan isn't able to get rid of the journalists throughout the film, I appreciated the chemistry between Joel McCrea and Veronica lake, and I think the film definitely came to life in the final act with the turns it made. Ultimately, its final message fell apart for me, but it's still really good.

Never seen Sullivan's Travels, but Fargo being at #99 is a signal of how spread this vote is, specifically because of how fuzzy the definition of "comedy" is.

Have seen so far: 1 - Fargo - Decent movie but no where close to being a comedy, imo
Have not seen so far: 1

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Also, don't really consider Fargo to be comedy, but yeah, that film is really good (it wouldn't have made my ballot regardless though).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Never seen Sullivan's Travels, but Fargo being at #99 is a signal of how spread this vote is, specifically because of how fuzzy the definition of "comedy" is.
Yeah, but immediately seeing 63 points and 5 ballots has me second guessing a ton of my list whether it has a shot.

Trivia

The Coen's took the name of their film, "O Brother Where Art Thou" from a movie that Sullivan was supposedly making about the plight of the poor.

Veronica Lake hid the fact that she was between 6-8 months pregnant from Sturgis with the help of the director's wife. She did this because she thought she would be taken off the film is he knew about her condition.

Yeah, but immediately seeing 63 points and 5 ballots has me second guessing a ton of my list whether it has a shot.
Sadly I think it spells the end of our hopes of either The Titfield Thunderbolt or The Brave Little Toaster making it

I predict that no more than 10 films from my ballot will make this list.
I'm predicting even less from mine

I predict that no more than 10 films from my ballot will make this list.
I predict 12 films to make the list

A system of cells interlinked
Seen 1/2

Fargo was in my initial group, but got cut about halfway through during one of my sessions of agonizing over what to cut...

Like most Coen Brothers titles, I adore Fargo, and return to it frequently. Hilarious stuff.

Yeah, Fargo is probably my #1 Coen. I just don't consider it as a "comedy", but considering their offbeat, quirky tone, I can't fault anyone for considering it as such.

I don't know if I think of Fargo as a comedy or not, but it is the first film I think of when I think about how easy it is for people to disagree about what is or isn't a comedy.

I predict 12 films to make the list
I predict 100.

Fargo is something I've only seen once or twice, back in the 90's, but I remember really liking it and laughing a good few times. Odd to see people not thinking of it as a comedy.