How We Roll

Tools    

Thought I'd take a look at a new CBS sitcom on a historically weak canvas for television and movie entertainment. From the creative forced behind Mike and Molly and Matt LeBlanc's short lived Man with a Plan, this is the story of Tom (Pete Holmes) a recently laid off assembly line worker with a beautician wife (Katie Lowes) and a tap-dancing son (Mason Wells). Losing his job has motivated Tom to pursue his dream of becoming professional bowler. Tom's mother (Julie White) thinks he needs to find another factory job but his BFF and mentor, Archie (Chi McBride) thinks he needs to go for it. Bowling has never been a user-friendly topic in movies and television and this pilot did nothing to change my mind about that. Lowes, who was terrific as Quinn Perkins on Scandal was great and so were the always watchable McBride and White, who played Nadine on Grace Under Fire, but I didn't laugh out loud the entire 22 minutes and I might check out another episode if I have absolutely nothing else to watch. I will not slow my binging of 30 Rock, that's for sure.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Thought I'd take a look at a new CBS sitcom on a historically weak canvas for television and movie entertainment. From the creative forced behind Mike and Molly and Matt LeBlanc's short lived Man with a Plan, this is the story of Tom (Pete Holmes) a recently laid off assembly line worker with a beautician wife (Katie Lowes) and a tap-dancing son (Mason Wells). Losing his job has motivated Tom to pursue his dream of becoming professional bowler. Tom's mother (Julie White) thinks he needs to find another factory job but his BFF and mentor, Archie (Chi McBride) thinks he needs to go for it. Bowling has never been a user-friendly topic in movies and television and this pilot did nothing to change my mind about that. Lowes, who was terrific as Quinn Perkins on Scandal was great and so were the always watchable McBride and White, who played Nadine on Grace Under Fire, but I didn't laugh out loud the entire 22 minutes and I might check out another episode if I have absolutely nothing else to watch. I will not slow my binging of 30 Rock, that's for sure.

Hubby and I watched the first two episodes, but then we gave up on the show. We both thought the main character, Tom, was boring, and the second episode of the show wasn't any better than the pilot.

This was my first exposure to Pete Holmes and he did nothing for me. Despite the fact that I love Katie Lowes, Chi McBride, and Julie White, the weight of this show seems to be falling on Holmes' shoulders and I'm not sure he's up for it. I might watch one more ep, but I'm not making any promises.

He had his own late night talk show after Conan for a bit, it didn't last but it was pretty good.

My first exposure to him was his stand up, though, which is very good sometimes.