Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Whaaaaat?

Have you seen Good Time or High Life? I've found over the last 10 years or so that he's doing good work in interesting films.
I'll add The Lighthouse and Tenet to awesome RPatz performances. The former has him sparring with Willem Dafoe, the latter has him doing a super fun knock off James Bond.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Whaaaaat?

Have you seen Good Time or High Life? I've found over the last 10 years or so that he's doing good work in interesting films.
I have not seen anything recent so I may have to remedy that.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'll add The Lighthouse and Tenet to awesome RPatz performances. The former has him sparring with Willem Dafoe, the latter has him doing a super fun knock off James Bond.
Hmm both sound interesting. Thanks.

That Ambulance high had me decide to watch my one Bay blindspot and I was shocked by how strong I found it, even as someone who is normally a defender:

13 HOURS

https://boxd.it/2K9urf

4.5/5

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.firouzanfilms.com/images/...loseUp_DVD.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=36836902

Close-Up - (1990)

That was pretty unusual. Close-Up is a little bit like a reconstruction of an event, using all the real people playing the part of themselves - but parts are straight up caught on camera as they happen. Hossain Sabzian cons a family into thinking he's famous Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf, and goes so far as to recruit them to be in his next film - but when caught out must go through the humiliation of being exposed, and stands trial with his fate uncertain. The unusualness of the case attracts director Abbas Kiarostami, who records (and participates) in his trial - and sets him up to meet Makhmalbaf after being released. Cinema has had such an effect of Sabzian's life that he's most lucid and open when talking about that subject, and this is what mostly comes out when people at the trail continually ask him why he did what he did - it's as if he wanted to disappear from his lowly poor life into cinema itself. Iranians make some pretty interesting movies, going way further back than Asghar Farhadi. I also watched Close-Up Long Shot after this - a short doco focusing on Hossain Sabzian.

8/10

Foreign Language Countdown films seen : 80/100

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

By http://www.firouzanfilms.com/images/...loseUp_DVD.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=36836902

Close-Up - (1990)

That was pretty unusual. Close-Up is a little bit like a reconstruction of an event, using all the real people playing the part of themselves - but parts are straight up caught on camera as they happen. Hossain Sabzian cons a family into thinking he's famous Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf, and goes so far as to recruit them to be in his next film - but when caught out must go through the humiliation of being exposed, and stands trial with his fate uncertain. The unusualness of the case attracts director Abbas Kiarostami, who records (and participates) in his trial - and sets him up to meet Makhmalbaf after being released. Cinema has had such an effect of Sabzian's life that he's most lucid and open when talking about that subject, and this is what mostly comes out when people at the trail continually ask him why he did what he did - it's as if he wanted to disappear from his lowly poor life into cinema itself. Iranians make some pretty interesting movies, going way further back than Asghar Farhadi. I also watched Close-Up Long Shot after this - a short doco focusing on Hossain Sabzian.

8/10

I loved this one. I watched it after a bit of a binge of Iranian cinema, so having seen The Traveler and some Makmalbaf family works (his daughter and I think his wife also direct), it really resonated with me. One of the most unique works around and likely my favorite from Kiarostami.

Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! File 01 - Operation Capture the Slit-Mouthed Woman (Koji Shiraishi, 2012)

the first of a many part series (and probably the only one i'll ever be able to track down) from the king of found footage horror that seems to focus on popular urban legends and folklore but unfortunately this one is centered on an urban legend i've never found particularly interesting. on the plus side there's still a number of good moments and Shiraishi's approach is always rock solid (never leaves you wondering who cut all this footage together or anything like that) but there's also some bits that feel like he's done the same thing better in other films. would love, love, love to see the rest of this series even if this one isn't really all that.

Whaaaaat?

I think The Rover deserves a mention as well.

C'mon C'mon - Joaquin Phoenix has gradually become my go-to performer. Even after tallying all the performances that made an impression and stuck with me he still sort of snuck up on me. The Master, Joker, You Were Never Really Here, Inherent Vice, We Own the Night. Even his earlier, smaller roles like 8MM or ones in movies that so many seem to disparage like Signs.

Here he plays Johnny (no last name) a radio journalist working on a wide ranging project interviewing younger people in different parts of the country. His estranged sister Viv (Gaby Hoffman) is having to deal with her husband Paul's (Scoot McNairy) mental illlness and asks Johnny if he can look after his nine year old nephew Jesse (Woody Norman). Viv and Johnny haven't spoken for a year following their mother's death from dementia. After a few days Johnny's work assignment can no longer be ignored and he asks Viv if he can take Jesse back to New York with him.

This story of two strangers gradually forming a bond has been done before with Wim Wenders Alice in the Cities springing immediately to mind. But it's the strength of the three main characters that sets it apart from so many others. Phoenix continues to impress the hell out of me and Gaby Hoffman is just note perfect as an overwhelmed but still loving and supportive mom. And there wouldn't be a movie without it's most integral part. Kid actor Woody Norman is actually British and he's either a star in the making or director Mike Mills really knows how to coax naturalistic performances out of young actors. I think Hoffman and Norman nearly steal the movie from Phoenix and that's really saying something.

I liked the black and white photography and the choices made with the soundtrack. I know it's been used countless times before but what can I say, I'm a sucker for Clair de Lune. I also liked the little vignettes from essays and articles and books. There was a chautauqua kind of feel to them. Really liked the whole vibe of the film and makes me want to check out Mills' three other movies.

90/100

Black Box (2021, Yann Gozlan)

I generally like these type of investigative thrillers but this one fell short for me. Good premise — bland, predictable execution. Too mechanical and, for lack of a better word, soulless; I wished there was more of a realness and a raw edge to it. The attempted atmosphere of mounting paranoia in the latter half of the film rang a bit hollow where it should have been edge-of-the-seat tense and claustrophobic; also, there was something missing in the chemistry between the protagonist and his wife — again, it didn't feel real and convincing.
OK movie, I guess, but could've turned out a lot better.

Close-Up - (1990)

8/10

Great film! Very meta, as often with Kiarostami.

C'mon C'mon - Joaquin Phoenix has gradually become my go-to performer. Even after tallying all the performances that made an impression and stuck with me he still sort of snuck up on me. The Master, Joker, You Were Never Really Here, Inherent Vice, We Own the Night. Even his earlier, smaller roles like 8MM or ones in movies that so many seem to disparage like Signs.

Here he plays Johnny (no last name) a radio journalist working on a wide ranging project interviewing younger people in different parts of the country. His estranged sister Viv (Gaby Hoffman) is having to deal with her husband Paul's (Scoot McNairy) mental illlness and asks Johnny if he can look after his nine year old nephew Jesse (Woody Norman). Viv and Johnny haven't spoken for a year following their mother's death from dementia. After a few days Johnny's work assignment can no longer be ignored and he asks Viv if he can take Jesse back to New York with him.

This story of two strangers gradually forming a bond has been done before with Wim Wenders Alice in the Cities springing immediately to mind. But it's the strength of the three main characters that sets it apart from so many others. Phoenix continues to impress the hell out of me and Gaby Hoffman is just note perfect as an overwhelmed but still loving and supportive mom. And there wouldn't be a movie without it's most integral part. Kid actor Woody Norman is actually British and he's either a star in the making or director Mike Mills really knows how to coax naturalistic performances out of young actors. I think Hoffman and Norman nearly steal the movie from Phoenix and that's really saying something.

I liked the black and white photography and the choices made with the soundtrack. I know it's been used countless times before but what can I say, I'm a sucker for Clair de Lune. I also liked the little vignettes from essays and articles and books. There was a chautauqua kind of feel to them. Really liked the whole vibe of the film and makes me want to check out Mills' three other movies.

90/100
One of my favorites last year. Between this and Cyrano, Bryce and Aaron Dessner of the National are killing it in the transition to film composers.

Such a simple, heartfelt and touching story about intergenerational impact. Almost Ozu-esque in it's simplicity and subtlety.

The Visitor, 1979

A long-ago, intergalactic/interdimensional conflict results in a vast conspiracy to embody an evil creature in the form of children born to certain women on Earth. Jerzy (John Huston) is sent to Earth by the head of his order to do damage control around a little girl named Katy (Paige Conner) who is displaying both telekinetic powers and a tendency for cruelty/destruction. Katy's mother, Barbara (Joanne Nail) is put through the ringer as both her husband (Lance Henriksen) and Katy try to persuade her to have another child.

This movie is a bit of a mess, but it's an absolutely lovely one. I can genuinely say that I was never bored, and the mix of outlandish visuals, bizarre dialogue, and plain ol' WTF moments is exactly what I love in a late night movie.

I'm not usually a fan of "evil kid" movies. I don't find them to be engaging, and the child performances are often bad in the wrong kind of way. But I thought that Conner was pretty good in her role as the diabolical Katy. Huston's performance is pretty understated, but I actually thought that his zen vibe gave the character a nice, borderline eerie otherworldly quality. Nail is also good as a woman who loves her daughter but also realizes that something is very wrong. Her character could have felt really shrill or overly "damsel in distress", but she brings a nice degree of depth and sympathy to the role. I also really liked the part where
WARNING: spoilers below
realizing she's been impregnated against her will, she find her ex-husband and gets him to help her have an abortion. It's a decision that shows some spine (and reminded me of a similar moment with Geena Davis in The Fly) and gives her a much needed moment of being proactive

The whole movie is littered with bizarre sequences, and while they don't all necessarily cohere, there are multiple memorable moments. A strange event at Katy's birthday party where a gift turns deadly; Katy and Jerzy showing their true selves during a game of Pong; a creepy part where the evil cabal decides that if Barbara won't agree to get pregnant, they will offer "intervention".

There are some technical elements that aren't the strongest, and I'm sure someone who disliked this film could write a multi-paragraph essay listing its faults. I'm aware of them, but only sort of peripherally. I mainly tend to care about faults when they ding my enjoyment of a film, and that just wasn't the case here.

A pleasant surprise, surely bolstered by low expectations and intergalactic Christ.

I enjoyed this movie a lot as well. I wrote something about it in a sci-fi/fantasy thread Wooley and I made last year that you can read here if you like.

I wish I had known about this movie three years ago because they did a 40th anniversary screening at the Atlanta Film Festival, which Paige Conner attended. Speaking of, she currently runs a beauty supply company...that happens to be within driving distance! Now, would it be wrong for me to pop in and ask her, "have you seen Jerzy?"

You ready? You look ready.

Gangster Squad - (2013)

For some reason, I remembered liking this movie more than I should have but don't know why. Upon a rewatch I found it to be awfully hammy, so maybe that's why I liked it. But if you've ever been curious as to what Ryan Gosling would sound like with his nuts in a vice then give it a watch. Worth some laughs at the very least.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell (2009)

A favorite of mine, and my girl surprisingly liked it as well (she wanted to watch by her request). It is obviously offensive to women (detestably so), but the humor is in line with other buddy-type comedies.

I have not seen anything recent so I may have to remedy that.
I think Patterson has improved significantly since the Twilight saga to the point I'd place him among my favorite current actors. And given that I generally don't pay attention to acting when I watch films, that's saying a lot.

Close-Up - (1990)
I loved this one. I watched it after a bit of a binge of Iranian cinema, so having seen The Traveler and some Makmalbaf family works (his daughter and I think his wife also direct), it really resonated with me. One of the most unique works around and likely my favorite from Kiarostami.
Great film! Very meta, as often with Kiarostami.

Out of curiosity, have you guys seen A Moment of Innocence? It's similar to Close-Up in the sense it combines narrative and documentary filmmaking, but I liked it much more. It's not only my favorite Iranian film of all time, but also one of my favorite films of all time in general. It might be a bit hard to track it down, but if you're able to do so, I highly recommend watching it.