File Storage Options?

Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The file storage in the contemporary digital world is a big problem, considering the huge space amount needed for all accumulated photos and videos.

The cloud storage is one solution for this.
  • What's your experience with these type of services?
  • Where is the biggest Free offered space of Cloud Storage you know?

The prices across major services are pretty competitive. Need more info about how much space you need though. But you're not going to get enough room to store lots of HD movies for free I don't think.

If the point is backup rather than cloud accessible it'll likely be better to just buy big external drives though.

I'm just seeing this thread now. I too have thought about storage for all my video files. I use my computer which has 3 drives a 240gb SSD, a 1tb HDD, a 4tb HDD, then I back up my files to two Seagates 2gb USB flash drives. I don't use Cloud service as I don't want my stuff on someone else's computer and the fine print usually says they get to examine your files that you upload to their storage.

How much data to you need to back up?

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I have three external drives filled up total of 3tb all kind of stuff (plus 1tb currently on my laptop).
I'm afraid these external types are not very durable. I constantly hear about break-downs etc.
So that, I decided to back up my most valuable photos on these secure pro-level servers.
I think for now, I'd be happy with 300-400gb free cloud storage, just for more safety (I don't dare to dream about more).

You ready? You look ready.
There’s no such thing as free. Either you buy the product or you are the product.

Personally, I’ve been very happy with my Office 365 account: 1TB of cloud storage and the app suite.

I have three external drives filled up total of 3tb all kind of stuff (plus 1tb currently on my laptop).
I'm afraid these external types are not very durable. I constantly hear about break-downs etc.
Depending on when you heard, this might just be something that used to be true but isn't any more. It's definitely less of a problem than it was. SSDs, in particular, are about as durable as HDDs now, albeit more expensive (but it's getting comparable, at least at most non-insanely-huge sizes). And most of the time there's warning signs anyway, if monitored now and t hen.

I think for now, I'd be happy with 300-400gb free cloud storage, just for more safety (I don't dare to dream about more).
You'll definitely have to pay, then. Drive is pretty generous and even that tops out at 15GB, shared across an entire Google account (IE: including whatever's in Gmail).

On the other hand, if you pay yearly for Dropbox or something (I do), it comes out to like $8 something a month for 2TB.