Man who keeps joking "but I love you!"

Tools    

Friend of mine is trying to remember a film. Let's see if we can help him out. Here's his description (lightly edited):

there's a guy, I think he's some kind of latin language speaker, like spanish or french or something, but it's in english

he's a supporting actor, and he's constantly reminding this girl who he works for or who is the girl of the hero or something, that he loves her

so he's saying in this joking manner whenever he can, "but christine (?), I love you!"
in totally inopportune times. it maybe not be christine. I think it's two syllables

I want to believe it's in black and white.
Anyone got any ideas?

Not a clue

I'll pass those along and ask him, thank you.

Probably long shots if they're both French, as that's the kind of detail you'd expect to remember, but I'll confirm.

The Gumball Rally ?

I'll ask about The Gumball Rally. Friend was pretty certain of the black and white part though so it probably has to be old.

B&W is probably the better jumping off point, since he just said the character spoke French or Spanish, and he wasn't even sure which language.

It's an obscure movie...
Casablanca
1942, Michael Curtiz

Sascha (Leonid Kinskey), the Russian bartender at Rick's Café Américain, playfully tells beautiful French patron Yvonne (Madeleine LeBeau) several times, "Yvonne, I love you". But she is completely uninterested in Sascha and is fixated on Bogart's Rick, an occasional paramour who commits to none of the women in Casablanca. It leads to the scene below where she is drunk and irritated and Rick cuts her off and sends her home. When she asks Sascha for another drink he tells her, "Yvonne, I love you...but he pays me."

Later in the narrative Yvonne returns to the Café, whoring around with the newly arrived German officers in town, punishing herself and trying to get Rick's attention. But when Victor Laszlo (Paul Henried) defiantly orders the house band to play "La Marseillaise", the French National Anthem, to drown out the Nazis singing and Rick condones it, her patriotism overcomes her hurt and she rises with tears in her eyes to belt it out, exclaiming, "Vive la France!".

One of the many reasons Casablanca is such a brilliant and enduring film is that even the small side characters are full of wit, memorable dialogue, and have purpose and arcs.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra