Happy Halloween! SJW's are whining about 'cultural appropriation'...

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
However, before examining their arguments (which are universally stupid and nonsensical), it is necessary to ask; 'Is it possible to "appropriate" a culture'???

(The short answer is; NO)
See, when you start off by saying that any arguments that run counter to your perspective are "universally stupid and nonsensical", how on Earth do you expect there to be any kind of reasonable discussion or anything of that sort?

Nearly every 'argument' put forth by SJW's centers around the fact that they are "offended" by something.

Stephen Fry has assessed 'arguments' that are built upon personal offense and has correctly concluded that they are "nothing more then a whine"...

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.'"
Therefore, I would have to say that "whining" is an accurate description of every 'argument' spewed forth by the SJW movement since all their 'arguments' are based on claims of 'personal offense' by very "sensitive" (thin-skinned) individuals...
If I had a dollar for every time an anti-SJW type quoted the words of an openly gay man with mental illness in order to justify being offensive...

But as to the OP's post, yes the article I read is ridiculous. Cultural appropriation is a silly idea, and there are people in this world that just can't lighten up and see something at face value. Not everything is some sort of slight to a social minority. People who try and find imaginary racism, sexism, homophobia, species-ism, or whatever in every word, phrase, work of art, etc need to get a life. Halloween costumes are just that. Costumes. You don't like the costume don't buy it. But don't try and spoil the fun for other people.

There i summarized the op's post. Sweet and simple.
Just because "not everything" is some sort of slight doesn't mean that this particular thing isn't. I'm also not sure how the "if you don't like it, don't do it" thing applies when it's quite obvious that the only people doing it are the ones who do like it, don't understand the problem, or just don't care. I can understand the complaints - looking up "sexist halloween costumes" on Google does yield some especially absurd results as the female versions of character costumes are mangled in order to make the wearers look "sexy", and that's without going into those that would count as racist. There were even people who would dress up as Trayvon Martin complete with blackface and blood-soaked hoodies. That's without counting the ways in which the sexism and racism overlap - a "sexy Indian" costume really doesn't look good considering America's history of rape and genocide against Native Americans. At this point, it stops being "just a costume" and actually does start being a cog in an oppressive machine - you may be able to afford to shrug it off, but you cannot presume that everyone can do the same.

What a headache, especially one that skims over how the Confederate flag does have racist connotations that would make dressing up your kid as a Confederate officer very questionable.

Remember when MTV was cool? It had to have been over a decade ago. The Gunslinger remembers. Remember when MTV played music videos? Gunslinger remembers.

Remember when some of their biggest shows included Bevis and Butthead and Celebrity Deathmatch?

The Gunslinger remembers. RIP MTV. You suck now.
This is the worst Cormac McCarthy impression I've ever seen.

Oh and Daria! That was a great show. WTF happened MTV?
Odd pick considering how Daria has a strong liberal bent.

That guy's increasingly annoying to listen to.
He's like a Bizarro John Oliver.

In an aside; I used to freeze paintballs prior to 'Mischief Night' (the day after Halloween) and then lay in a hide in or around my parents property, wearing a ghillie suit to 'snipe' the egg throwers....

There are few things more fun then watching a frozen paintball shatter an egg-throwers entire carton...except for when I hit one of them in the chest with a slightly de-frosted red paint-ball and he moaned/screamed as though he thought he was dying

Great childhood memories!!!
Jesus.

I think someone complaining about Halloween costumes is silly and how MTV sucks now a days and that means I can't enjoy a cartoon about a uber cynical teenager and the life she inhabits?

It seems a little at odds with the views you've expressed in this thread.
Oh let him like Daria if he likes Daria! What the hell man? I can see calling the show bad if you dont like it, but dont waste your time trying to deprogram him from it.

He's like a Bizarro John Oliver.
I stumbled upon his videos one day and began watching them since I had entered them through one of these sorts of topics where he was making long overdue and agreeable points.

Then I realized he's just got this permanent exasperated tone all the time and it gave me the distinct impression that he's not the sort of person who's open to having his views challenged.

It seems a little at odds with the views you've expressed in this thread.
I'm not attacking you, but there's this idea that people fit into categories or boxes and cannot (or should not) go beyond the borders of the label that others assign them.

The reason I'm "independent" in every respect is I've always had a problem with this concept. I'm so diverse in my own mind that I sometimes confuse myself - my inner monologue is like eight different people arguing as I try to consider, analyze and process multiple perspectives.

Most people are very complicated and their personalities & characters are made up of a whole bunch of lifetime influences, interests & perspectives (sometimes conflicting ones).

I remember studying this psychology program that was supposed to help you in business by figuring out how to classify people (and thus how to respond to or treat them). It had codes outlined that you'd create based on other's personality traits. You could examine yourself (a somewhat subjective process) to come up with your own code.
What it came down to was that there were only about 10 or so different types of people as everyone had to fit into one of the codes. I read the whole book and tried to do the exercises, but after a while I realized this was all B.S.
People don't easily fit into types or codes - and if they do, the codes are probably about as expansive as those that DNA helices come up with. People are often as dualistic as they are cohesive.

Oppression my ass.

EDIT: Dammit Tongo you edited your post before I could quote it!
The Daria oppresion comment wasnt what I was worried about, it was the reference to someone getting the boot in this devil thread.

Welcome to the human race...
Do people only watch shows that line up with their views?
It wouldn't surprise me, but it appears that that isn't the case.

I think someone complaining about Halloween costumes is silly and how MTV sucks now a days and that means I can't enjoy a cartoon about a uber cynical teenager and the life she inhabits?
So you think real-life people criticising a flawed institution is silly but like a cartoon about a teen whose mission statement is criticising flawed institutions?

As for the MTV thing, for your consideration...

Oh let him like Daria if he likes Daria! What the hell man? I can see calling the show bad if you dont like it, but dont waste your time trying to deprogram him from it.
Who said anything about deprogramming? I was merely curious as to why it is so.

Hey I ain't PC, but good TV is good TV.
Hmm.

I'm not attacking you, but there's this idea that people fit into categories or boxes and cannot (or should not) go beyond the borders of the label that others assign them.

The reason I'm "independent" in every respect is I've always had a problem with this concept. I'm so diverse in my own mind that I sometimes confuse myself - my inner monologue is like eight different people arguing as I try to consider, analyze and process multiple perspectives.

Most people are very complicated and their personalities & characters are made up of a whole bunch of lifetime influences, interests & perspectives (sometimes conflicting ones).

I remember studying this psychology program that was supposed to help you in business by figuring out how to classify people (and thus how to respond to or treat them). It had codes outlined that you'd create based on other's personality traits. You could examine yourself (a somewhat subjective process) to come up with your own code.
What it came down to was that there were only about 10 or so different types of people as everyone had to fit into one of the codes. I read the whole book and tried to do the exercises, but after a while I realized this was all B.S.
People don't easily fit into types or codes - and if they do, the codes are probably about as expansive as those that DNA helices come up with. People are often as dualistic as they are cohesive.
Yeah, we all contain multitudes and all that. Doesn't mean I can't (or shouldn't) question the dissonance when it becomes pertinent.

Ideally, the majority of people are one-dimensional pawns in a game of identity politics.

The US election has a lot of people saying this is the best opportunity independents have ever had, but it's still a big mob of people jostling against each other to stand behind one of two repellant flags and asserting the superiority of their position.

These peope don't think like you, Captain, they're maniacs.

Yeah, we all contain multitudes and all that. Doesn't mean I can't (or shouldn't) question the dissonance when it becomes pertinent.
By all means. I wouldn't try to admonish or influence anyone for asking questions or voicing opinions, especially on forums designed for that purpose.

Now, I'm going to go debate my last post as I made a lot of points that I can view from a counter perspective and which I can easily cast as dubious, uninformed or that I can outright refute!

So you think real-life people criticising a flawed institution is silly but like a cartoon about a teen whose mission statement is criticising flawed institutions?
Someone complaining about Halloween costumes is not criticizing a flawed institution. That is their hang ups on costumes. If they don't like them, don't buy them. If they don't want their kids dressing up in said costumes, that is their right as an American. If someone dresses up in an offensive costume (Hitler, Bin Laden, etc) then the issue is not with the costume and the holiday, but the people wearing it.

As for me liking Daria, if I had to like only movies and shows that align with my political views, I would have a narrower selection of movies. I have this strange super power that allows me to watch a work and analyze it based on it's merit even if it expresses views counter to my own. Hence why I can enjoy Paths of Glory despite being in the military and hawkish, I can enjoy movies that explore views I do not share. If the work does it well and is not trying to ram an overt political message down my throat, I can accept me and the creator will not be voting the same come election day, but I can still enjoy the work.

To not do so would just be closed minded,

Ideally, the majority of people are one-dimensional pawns in a game of identity politics.

The US election has a lot of people saying this is the best opportunity independents have ever had, but it's still a big mob of people jostling against each other to stand behind one of two repellant flags and asserting the superiority of their position.

These peope don't think like you, Captain, they're maniacs.
Yes. I certainly realize there are people who are not "complicated" in the same respects as some others are. Some people are "concrete" thinkers and do not contemplate expanding beyond their own self-defined borders. Some people are not deep. Some people have never developed the capacity to view things from other perspectives.

But most people are complicated in the respect that they are a conglomeration of diverse ideas, values, emotions & experiences which they can apply to the practice of considering multiple perspectives of others or experiencing life with a variety of inclinations, explorations & preferences themselves.

Originally Posted by Captain Steel
But most people are complicated in the respect that they are a conglomeration of diverse ideas, values, emotions & experiences which they can apply to the practice of considering multiple perspectives of others or experiencing life with a variety of inclinations, explorations & preferences themselves.
That just tells me most people DO have capacity, they just don't use it.