4 votes
For All Mankind
22.58%
7 votes
The Quiet Earth
31 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Lots of noise in outer space wait what

Dark Star (1974)

John Carpenter made a lesser known sci-fi film, a black comedy really, before Halloween where a space crew scavenges the galaxy to destroy all planets which may host "threatening" life. Next to A Boy and His Dog, this is one of the very few sci-fi satires, and done super well to boot.

Woman in the Moon (1927)

Fritz Lang made not only one but two of the most important sci-fi films, the latter of which is much lessor spoken of. Besides the general FX being excellent, the science and detail is waaaaay ahead of its time, and sometimes prophetic. The story itself is about a trip to the moon looking for gold, at once crime noir and suspenseful sci-fi frankly akin to anything contemporary.

Fantastic Planet (1973)

A crazy little French animation where humans are the pets of giant aliens on their home planet. It is said that the story is based on the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia but also deals with the general human ego in the grand scheme. Insanely dense and compelling for a film with next to no dialogue, and great animation too.

For All Mankind (1989)

Said to be one of the most important documentaries of the 20th century, and the best regarding the Apollo missions, this film splices NASA footage of the missions with interviews with the crew. In addition, Brian Eno scored it, so it's beauty all around.

The Quiet Earth (1985)

Before Peter Jackson, New Zealand has this little gem about one of the last humans on Earth. Naturally it's a story of survival and the philosophies therein, but it works as a social study, a mystery, and a thriller at points. Pretty pretty too.

Oh nice, haven't seen any of these, voted for Dark Star, everyone should vote 70s atleast.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I voted for Fantastic Planet, looks pretty neat.

I've seen only 1 of other selections The Quiet Earth. Its alright, a solid
. Nothing too memorable though.

I've already seen Fantastic Planet and I've been meaning to watch Dark Star. I'm going to start my own Movie Club.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."