Sleezy casts the Justice League

Tools    

Yes, this is the Green Lantern that the people want! Come on DC, make it happen! Then you can finally be forgiven for that Green Lantern mess before.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

You know what, I've gotta say. I really like your picks for castings here. Warbuton, Pine, Elba and Skas all work so well. Though, elba and pine would cost WB a fortune to get hold of.

In the Beginning...
Sorry no new post yesterday, guys. Had quite a busy day, but I should be able to get the next post up today.

Originally Posted by CaptainYorkshire
You know what, I've gotta say. I really like your picks for castings here. Warbuton, Pine, Elba and Skas all work so well. Though, elba and pine would cost WB a fortune to get hold of.
Thanks!

Yeah, both of those guys could be pricey, but Elba is worth it and Pine's stock might fall a bit now that his Jack Ryan flick is flopping. I really do believe he'll end up being a perpetual supporting actor. He just doesn't feel like a lead.

In the Beginning...

WONDER WOMAN

Wonder Woman is one of the first female superheroes to be introduced in comic books. Not at all dainty or apt to need rescuing, Wonder Woman was created to be a veritable force of nature equal to any male crime fighter. She hails from a secretive and warlike culture of Greek Amazons and is, in fact, a princess of her people. But in the company of others, she maintains the identity of Diana Prince.

Wonder Woman possesses some of the same abilities as her male counterparts: super-strength, super-speed, flight. Armed with a pair of unbreakable gauntlets and the "Lasso of Truth," which allows her to interrogate enemies, Wonder Woman is also known to do battle with swords, shields, and spears. She's also usually given a fairly militant attitude, with a desire for action over debate. In other words, she's a tough, formidable, and extremely driven firecracker.

So, I cast...

JAIMIE ALEXANDER

I struggled with this choice. There aren't really any slam dunk cast options for Wonder Woman in my view, but Jaimie Alexander comes the closest. Physically, she's a great match (quite tall, fit, very statuesque). She's fiesty and strong, and really captures the proud beauty that Wonder Woman tends to have in both comics and TV/film. She's also shown a penchant for battle in her Thor role and has shown that she can match any man in presence onscreen, which I believe is probably the most important factor. I'm not sure how dynamic she is as an actress, but I'd like to see her bring Diana to life.

~~~~

Alternate Choice: Stana Katic
I was torn between Katic and Kate Beckinsale, who is far more recognizable but doesn't have the same presence that Katic seems to have. Her Beckett role on Castle exhibits a lot of leadership and strength, particularly in the company of men, so that's a great fit. She's also closer to the right age that I see for Diana. She doesn't quite have the Amazonian look, unfortunately, but I still think she'd be a solid backup choice.

In the Beginning...
Great picks for Wonder Woman, btw. Jaimie Alexander was definitely a top contender on most people's minds. Too bad DC couldn't snag her from Marvel
Does that prevent her from starring in a DC film? I don't know anything about the contract stipulations or any of that. It seems like her character in Thor is so marginal that it wouldn't really prevent her from playing Wonder Woman. But I know Marvel is incredibly competitive, and incredibly protective of its interests.

Originally Posted by seanc
How did I miss this thread. Great job Sleezy. I especially like the Reddick and Warburton choices.
Thanks!

Does that prevent her from starring in a DC film? I don't know anything about the contract stipulations or any of that. It seems like her character in Thor is so marginal that it wouldn't really prevent her from playing Wonder Woman. But I know Marvel is incredibly competitive, and incredibly protective of its interests.
I don't have any solid proof of that being the case, but I have heard rumours about it. Or maybe it's the other way around, with DC not wanting an actress associated with current marvel films to play such a big part in what they're doing? Or maybe she just didn't want to juggle being in two series at the same time? Plenty of possibilities.

But yeah, she really does give off that Wonder Woman vibe, especially with her Thor screenshots. I guess we'll just have to see how this Gal Gadot experiment works out for them...

BTW, did you know that Stana Katic did the voice of Diana in the animated movie "Superman: Unbound"? I just saw that while checking out her profile. That's one Hell of a coincidence if you didn't.

In the Beginning...
BTW, did you know that Stana Katic did the voice of Diana in the animated movie "Superman: Unbound"? I just saw that while checking out her profile. That's one Hell of a coincidence if you didn't.
Ha! No, I didn't notice that. Well, I'll be! Seems I'm not the only one who thinks she's a pretty good pick.

Great job, you should join hollywood.

I'd really like to see that Capt. Marvel movie with Warburton, he has always been the favorite choice for that character. But the movie should be made with a lighter tone in mind.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Yes, this is the Green Lantern that the people want! Come on DC, make it happen! Then you can finally be forgiven for that Green Lantern mess before.
Poor DC can't do nothing about it...It is all WB,if we had DC making decisions we would have better universe and we would probably dodge some bad movies.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Again awesome casting choices!Maybe you should cast some major villains that would probably be in JL? I mean when you finish with JL casting.

In the Beginning...
Busy weekend, guys, but I should get the next post up today. Thanks for following!

Originally Posted by -KhaN-
Maybe you should cast some major villains that would probably be in JL? I mean when you finish with JL casting.
Might just do that. I'm actually already planning on recasting the X-Men and have pretty much finalized my choices, so look for that soon too.

In the Beginning...

BATMAN

Everyone knows who the Batman is. As a child, billionaire Bruce Wayne loses his parents to a robber in a dark Gotham alley and swears vengeance against the crime world, transforming himself into a terrifying monster of the shadows and taking on the very worst of the city. He masters hand-to-hand combat, forensics, chemistry: all for the purpose of being the most efficient, effective crimefighter around.

It's no secret he's perhaps the most popular superhero in the world, though not entirely for the reasons we might expect. Yes, he's awesome because he's dark and brooding and has cool gadgets and boasts one of the most memorable backstories in all of comics. But he's also the one member of the Justice League who has absolutely no powers: he's just a mortal man. And yet, he's as formidable as all the rest, and commands authority and respect because of the peak physical and mental specimen that he's become through sheer force of will.

Therefore, I cast...

JON HAMM

Batman (and Bruce Wayne, more specifically), is hewn from a certain something that actors either have, or they don't. Ben Affleck doesn't have it. Christian Bale didn't even have it. And I don't even really know what it is. I just know it when I see it. Gregory Peck had it, long before the darker, keener Batman we know and love began to grace the pages of comics. George Clooney also had it (and still does), though his opportunity was squandered by a director who didn't understand the character.

I thought about this choice for all of two seconds. Jon Hamm has it. Perhaps it's the mysterious persona of Don Draper that surrounds him (and characters in the show even joke that he could be Batman for all they know), but Hamm is just the right mix of hard, polished, determined, haunted, razor-sharp, and dangerous. He is Bruce Wayne, from the inside out. He must play this role.

~~~~

Alternate Choice: Nobody
Seriously, there is no one else I would even consider. Joe Manganiello has been a popular pick among fans for a few years, and he certainly looks the part in a lot of ways. But he'd be a shell of the character, I fear. He doesn't have what Jon Hamm brings to the role. Nobody currently working does.

Jon Hamm has always been a fan favorite for Superman, but he'd be more Batman than Superman any day, he has that "I had a troubled childhood" look in his eyes.

Speaking of Superman, I am eager to see your choice for Superman.

In the Beginning...
I've changed my mind on my alternate choice for Aquaman. Originally I had suggested Michael Fassbender, who would be fine but is just too popular these days to play a marginal character. Today I remembered Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who plays Jaime Lannister on Game of Thrones. Derp, obviously I should have thought of him before now. He's my new alternate choice and, although I still very much like Alex Skarsgard, Coster-Waldau would be quite good and I still want to see him in more roles.

Jon Hamm has always been a fan favorite for Superman, but he'd be more Batman than Superman any day, he has that "I had a troubled childhood" look in his eyes.

Speaking of Superman, I am eager to see your choice for Superman.
Yeah, Jon Hamm is mentioned quite a bit for Superman, too. And really, he'd be great either way. But I agree, he just seems to fit Batman much better. He's older and, like you said, he's got a wounded quality to him that works well with the natural "Don Draper" mystique that seems to be stuck to him permanently now. It's worth noting that he has publicly stated he's not interested in playing a superhero and getting caught in the whole franchise march, but if I was directing, I couldn't do this movie without him.

I'll try to get my Superman pick up today. I've really struggled with him the most. I'm not sure there is anyone out there currently who is a total home run, but for the kind of film (and characterization of Superman) I'd like to see made, I think I have a strong choice. Is that a tease enough for you guys?

In the Beginning...

SUPERMAN

We've come to the man himself. Everyone knows Superman. The last son of a dying planet is sent to Earth to live among humans, and as he grows he develops extraordinary powers like no one has ever seen. Taking the weight of the world on his shoulders, he becomes Superman and channels his powers for the good of all mankind. But he's not without a life all his own: he adopts the persona of mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent and pounds the streets of Metropolis with partner in news, Lois Lane, ever ready to become his superhero alter-ego in time of need.

The recent Superman film dealt a bit with his genesis, and his struggle with donning the cape. But I'm really interested in exploring the early years of Superman, when he's still fairly uncertain of his ability to be Earth's champion and feels intimidated at the prospect of leading a team of equally super-powered heroes. This is the chief story of my Justice League film: Superman coming to grips with the reality that Earth needs him to be the guardian and savior he was born to be. He's a young, unsure farmer's son with the ability to punch through walls. But he's a dreamer, too. And he's made of more good and right than any of us.

Therefore, I cast...

ARMIE HAMMER

I'll be the first to admit that this isn't a perfect choice. I struggled with the role, and although there are other fine options out there (including Henry Cavill, who was fairly good in Man of Steel), there's just no one currently working who makes me feel, "Yes, this is Superman."

That said, I do feel better and better about Armie Hammer as my choice, for a few reasons:

One, I want a physically imposing Superman for a change. Hammer is 6'5" and very much commands a presence when he wants to. With a bit of muscle, Hammer would most certainly stand out among his teammates. Two, I want a Superman that is a believable wholesome American kid with a bit of dorky awkwardness that we know as Clark Kent. Despite his stupid perfect good looks, Hammer is still a bit of a lovable goof in his films sometimes, which I like.

Three, I want a Superman that, as I said above, feels a bit younger and more unsure of himself: someone who can go through a bit of a journey over the course of a JLA film and come out the other end feeling like the Superman we all want him to be, thanks to some great threat. (Perhaps several of the team's members are incapacited, including its leader Green Lantern, forcing Superman to become the natural leader and inspiration that he is meant to be.)

I think Hammer has shown all these qualities, particularly in The Lone Ranger, which was admittedly a terrible film but was a springboard for Armie Hammer as a legitimate action/adventure leading man. Again, he's not perfect, but I'd like to see what he can do as the Man of Steel.

~~~~

Alternate Choice: Matt Bomer
Matt Bomer was very nearly my main choice, and I still think he'd make a fine Man of Steel. He's a bit physically similar to Henry Cavill, interestingly, but I feel he's better able to capture that "homegrown" Clark Kent side of Superman. My only problem with Bomer is that he's not terribly imposing and represents the prettier, more toned-down depiction of Superman that's been used in recent films with Brandon Routh and Cavill. I think we've seen enough of that.